Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2011, 11:47   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico
Turkey - Grey Water

About a year ago Turkey was said to have implemented a policy prohibiting grey water (shower, sink, bilge etc). It got postponed until 2011, I guess because they didn't think they could enforce it. Have there been any reports of whether that is true or not?

Also, I am curious - Are there other places in the world where grey water is prohibited? Obviously most sailboats don't have room for a greywater tank, so it could become quite burdensome.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 12:13   #2

Boat: Bavaria 350, plus 5 boats for sailing school, and a Racing Laser
Send a message via Skype™ to bosco
L am heading for south Turkey in 5 weeks, and would be glad to hear or read some information on this topic.....
Anybody?
Bosco
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 12:18   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bosco.

Hope you enjoy your upcoming cruise.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 13:21   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I can see no problems on fitting a greywater tank in most sailing boats. The same arguments used to be advanced for blackwater tanks

Dave
Old 31-01-2011, 13:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I can see no problems on fitting a greywater tank in most sailing boats. The same arguments used to be advanced for blackwater tanks
I think others will disagree
Old 31-01-2011, 13:57   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:

Dave
sure, I'll just cram another 200 gallon tank into the 32' boat to catch the saltwater runoff from the galley!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 14:11   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Hi Pamlicc Traveveler,

This is issue is long and complicated one. You can find more info on noonsite at following link:

Noonsite: Turkey - Positive Changes Afoot for New Grey Water Regulations

To make the long story short: first of all this regulation was not meant to cover entire Turkey but the coasts from Bodrum to Göçek. Later, as the industry reacted very strongly against, they postponed it to 2011 and limited with just the bay of Göçek and for experimental purpose. Nevertheless, the regulation as it stands is impossible to be applied for various reasons at least in 2011. (there is no collections centers and are very unlikely to be ready until the end of 2011, the small sailing boats can not have a separate grey tanks for obvious reasons,etc)
So the chances for getting any restrictions are very slim for Göçek and none for anywhere else in Turkey.

Cheers

YEloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 23:38   #8

Thanks, Yeloya.

Grey water mixed with bay water flows from the taps where I am ...
aegean adrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:28   #9

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Yeloya obviously gives an accurate summary of the situation today but I suggest it would be prudent and respectful not to discharge as much grey water that it could harm the local environment and certainly never draw the attention of anyone else.

We found no-one really worried about emptying a sink or a shower, especially if you use bio detergents that break down quickly in salt water. Indeed sailing in company with a coastguard boat as part of the EMYR we shared some salt water shower gel with two of the coastguard officers.

But in 2006 we spent time in company with a US boat that was claimed to have discharged their washing machine in an apparently deserted Turkish anchorage. I was told an hour later when the coastguard slid in to the bay on its daily patrol it found them anchored in a circle of foamy bubbles. Scuttlebutt around his marina said it was reported in the local papers and he got a substantial fine........

Enjoy
JOHN
Old 01-02-2011, 04:04   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Quote:

Dave
That sir can possibly be the silliest statement I have read yet on CF!
Old 01-02-2011, 05:31   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
Also, I am curious - Are there other places in the world where grey water is prohibited? Obviously most sailboats don't have room for a greywater tank, so it could become quite burdensome.
The Dutch are very strict on what can be done in there inland salt waters (meres), but not sure if its just black or black and grey. In England similar restrictions apply to our Norfolk Broads which has seen a marked improvement in water quality over the last 30 years since pump out heads were fitted.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:09   #12

Thanks for the update Yeloya. Sounds like it's not as much of an issue as it sounds on the surface. That's good news.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:53   #13

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Quote:

Dave
I know some others have said similar but OMG, what a statement! You obviously have never owned a boat or if you have, have no idea how they are packaged.

Modern boats easily have black water tanks becaused they were designed to have them from new. Retrofitting something like that is not simply a case of 'loosing a bit of under seat storage...' but you have to consider the balance and trim of the boat.

Sticking a 200 gal tank randomly in a bit of free space will drasticaly effect the handling and balence of the boat.

Back to the original topic, I suspect that this is another way the authorities are looking to make more money from cruisers. They will get money from pump out or from fines as retrofitting will not be an option for many, especialy smaller, boats.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:50   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
Its coming to Queensland, Australia ; very very soon going by the latest enviromental studies proposing no discharge zones relating to black and grey water.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:22   #15

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
I have to agree with this sky is falling thread except it seems to be taking its time crashing down.

In Holland the rules read as draconian but most boats still plod around inland waterways with poop pumped out directly. Common practice to tell the authorities they do not use the toilet on board.

The Frech brought in regulations a few years back also.
But the river boat we hired in 2009 saw you poo onto a flap with the contents dropped out unmacerated.

We installed pump out facilities for proposed black water regulation in Fremantle 20 years ago and still today I do not believe holding tanks are mandatory even today.

Hopefully, if we all act sensibly and minimise the impact we have on the seas around us, we can continue to delay the sky hitting the earth...........

Cheers
JOHN

Tags
grey water, Turkey, water