Boat: Able 50
Re: Tips for Greece

Saturday is the most common market day.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 00:07   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I'm still working on my route and would appreciate a basic opinion. I have 10 weeks to cruise Greek waters. Right now I have most of the time in the Aegean and less in the Ionian Islands. I like the look of the trees and hills in the Ionian's and wonder if I should cut a week out of the Aegean and add it the the Ionian's.

I have attached a basic route for Google Earth. If you have GE installed, just download it and click on it.

I plan on perfecting it more then posting it on a separate thread for more specific route help.

Hello, If you are in Croatia go 110 miles north. I recommand to go to Skradin (near Sibenik). A well situated harbour inland (the 2 h cruis to Skradin is also very nice). There you take a cruise boat that brings the tourists to the waterfalls. It is very beautifull. You can swim in warm water around and under the waterfalls.
On your way you pop in in Trogir. Very busy but a nice place. (go upon the tower).

In Greece I should go from Milos (which is not a very interesting place to my opinion) to Ios and there consider if you should take a boat to visit Thira (= Santorini) or try to go with your own boat, but you should know that anchoring is a real big problem nowadays (this was not the case a few years ago but Vlikhada is not deep enough any more). Sailing in the morning into the bay of Santorini from the north is a very beautifull experience.
I also loved Serifos. Go to the "chora".
Very peacefull place.

Should you go to Tinos. It is an interesting visit as it is considered as the "Lourdes" from the east. But be there very early as there is only place for 5 or 6 boats.

Coming back from Rhodos, it is a must to go to Symi which I found is one of the best places to visit. Hire a scooter and go to Panormitis (you can also spend the night there, very well protected). Have a meal at the local restaurant at maratounda beach (2 km from Panormitis). Also very peacefull. Frederik.
Frederik V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 10:51   #93

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederik V View Post
Hello, If you are in Croatia go 110 miles north. I recommand to go to Skradin (near Sibenik). A well situated harbour inland (the 2 h cruis to Skradin is also very nice). There you take a cruise boat that brings the tourists to the waterfalls. It is very beautifull. You can swim in warm water around and under the waterfalls.
On your way you pop in in Trogir. Very busy but a nice place. (go upon the tower).

In Greece I should go from Milos (which is not a very interesting place to my opinion) to Ios and there consider if you should take a boat to visit Thira (= Santorini) or try to go with your own boat, but you should know that anchoring is a real big problem nowadays (this was not the case a few years ago but Vlikhada is not deep enough any more). Sailing in the morning into the bay of Santorini from the north is a very beautifull experience.
I also loved Serifos. Go to the "chora".
Very peacefull place.

Should you go to Tinos. It is an interesting visit as it is considered as the "Lourdes" from the east. But be there very early as there is only place for 5 or 6 boats.

Coming back from Rhodos, it is a must to go to Symi which I found is one of the best places to visit. Hire a scooter and go to Panormitis (you can also spend the night there, very well protected). Have a meal at the local restaurant at maratounda beach (2 km from Panormitis). Also very peacefull. Frederik.
The rest of the tips I'd agree with - but methinks Frederik is having you on to suggest 'warm waters' below the falls at Skradin. Brilliant to see these falls but we went skinny dipping after cycling up river and back to the marina at Skradin in June '07....... and I can tell you it was bloody freezing!

Cheers
JOHN
Old 31-05-2011, 11:47   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky
The harbour itself is quite small and crowded, also sometime quite windy, but there are some nice anchorages also. The best one is probably Katsadia Bay in the south part of island. You will find some mooring buoys laid by local tavern, but if they are all taken, You can anchor out - the holding is good.
I am moored in Katsadia bay at the moment. We are on one of the taverna's buoys but unfortunately the taverna is not yet open, so it was sandwiches for dinner :-(

Given the "remote" location it feels almost wrong having internet access here, but at the same time it is quite good I have a pre-paid 3G data sim with Cosmote and have had a connection the whole way down from Samos. Thankfully the Cosmote web site has English, so it was easy to use, unlike their pp mobile phone setup. I bought a refill care for my mobile but never got an English option when dialing up, so the phone is dead for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-385482447.png
Views:	201
Size:	277.7 KB
ID:	27933  
Old 06-06-2011, 01:56   #95

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederik V View Post
<snipped>
I should not go to :
Tinos
Rhodos (no possibility to find a place in the harbour and a lot of paperwork to do, especially as we did with a Turkish Bavaria 50. It took us more than 4 hours to get the paperork done ! I counted and we had to go to 17 (seventeen !) different offices to collect stamps ..). But the town is very nice. So if you go there, go at least for 2 days.
<snipped>
This is very bad news to us. We plan to clear out of Greece in late August at Rhodes as we will be heading to TRNC.

Anyone else have any experience clearing out of Greece at Rhodes and was it this complicated? We are US citizens on our own USA flagged yacht, not on a charter boat or making a delivery.

If Rhodes is indeed this difficult to clear out, is there a better alternative considering we will be sailing from Athens to TRNC in late August?

Thanks,

Judy
S/V BeBe (currently in Pithagorio, Samos en route to Athens)
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:35   #96
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

If Rhodes is difficult, Simi 30-35 kts north west is the alternative. Simi will also be crowded but would be easier tyo find a spot. In worst case, go and puy the anchor in Padi (one bay souther of main Simi bay) and take a bus to the citiy for formalities. (there is a bus every half an hour)

Cheers

Yeloya

NB:It took Greeks to make the new marina for more than 20 years in Rhodes, despite huge amount of money from CE.. Hopefully next year the marina will be opened and we won't have this kind of problems anymore..
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:58   #97
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Yeloya, Thanks for the advise. We plan on going to Simi (Symi) after Marmaris. We would spend 3 days in Rhodes, 4 days in Marmaris, then head to Symi for 3 days.

Do you have any suggestions for what to do and see in the Marmaris area? I have been to Ephesus already. We like to get off the boat and explore inland every other day if possible.
Thanks,
David
Old 07-06-2011, 11:49   #98

Boat: Cobra 850
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
If Rhodes is difficult, Simi 30-35 kts north west is the alternative. Simi will also be crowded but would be easier tyo find a spot. In worst case, go and puy the anchor in Padi (one bay souther of main Simi bay) and take a bus to the citiy for formalities. (there is a bus every half an hour)

Cheers

Yeloya

NB:It took Greeks to make the new marina for more than 20 years in Rhodes, despite huge amount of money from CE.. Hopefully next year the marina will be opened and we won't have this kind of problems anymore..

That's what generally happens, they get the money start the work then mysteriously run out of money (Gets saved or Spent elsewhere) Then when the CE asks have you finished it. They say finished what? so they are threatened with a big fine and the work recommences.

Old 14-06-2011, 18:54   #99
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I have another question about cruising greece. Why do you have to clear in to every island? I mean, if I'm not leaving Greece, why do I have to always be clearing in? We will be anchoring most of the time. I can appreciate needing to pay port fees if I'm docking but why when anchoring? What are the rules for this?
Old 14-06-2011, 23:36   #100

In theory, you are supposed to present your traffic document at every port to be stamped for the cost of €0.88 plus give them a crew list and who your registration and perhaps insurance. Tied up on the water front in Pythagorion(Samos) with water and power available, I've never had to pay anything other than the 88cents

In reality, many people don't bother to do it at every port and just occasionally.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 23:58   #101

anyone know of any good Greek ferry sites for working out locations for exchanging crews?

I have tried using ferries.gr but their site is poorly designed and no useful mapping.

I don't want to be tied down to fixed dates and ports when cruising. I'd rather plan to be in certain regions on dates and make final meeting arrange just a day or two beforehand and sail to the nearest port that my crew can take a ferry to their airport island or back to Athens.

A map with ferry routes on it is what I need, then maybe ferries.gr will become useful.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 00:54   #102

Boat: Bavaria 37

To Palarran : I Have sailing the Aegea sea these last 2 months (from Samos to Methana and from Nyssyros to Tinos, and I have 3 stamps from the Port Police at all. It means : I have see them 3 times ! Don't mind... There is no problem ... Easy...
To Hoppy :
The are links for Ferry lines and Hydrofoils too, but withj the crisis many thinks are changing and you can have modifications at any time... And it is still very difficult to have a global approach for one island of the different possibilities .... Good luck

Hellenic Seaways
Greek Ferries - DANAE*Greek Travel Services Online
OpenSeas - Ferry Tickets for Greece and Adriatic
HYDRO-FOILS
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 01:41   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
In theory, you are supposed to present your traffic document at every port to be stamped for the cost of €0.88 plus give them a crew list and who your registration and perhaps insurance. Tied up on the water front in Pythagorion(Samos) with water and power available, I've never had to pay anything other than the 88cents

In reality, many people don't bother to do it at every port and just occasionally.
We cleared into Greece at Pythagorion (Samos) on 1 June 2011. We were in anchorage for 1 day and then moored to town quay for 6 days. In addition to the 30 Euros to purchase the transit log from Customs office, the Port Police charged us 15 Euro for arrival, plus a fee for both for the anchorage and for being moored to town quay.

The pricing formula for the anchorage was LOA in meters X number of days X 0.30 Euro, plus 16% VAT. For our 16 meter boat, that totaled 5.36 Euro for anchoring 1 day.

The pricing formula for being moored to town quay was LOA X number of days X 0.36 Euro, plus 16% VAT. With free electricity and water on the quay. For our 16 meter boat, that totaled 40 Euro.

I do not know where the 0.88 Euro price quoted above came from. But I have our receipts from 1 thru 7 June 2011, so I am positive of the rates charged this month.

FWIW, we stopped at isolated anchorages on Fournoi, Mykonos and Kea while en route to Piraeus. There were no Port Police offices in any of those anchorages and we only stayed one night in each location, so we did not have our transit lot stamped again until we arrived in Piraeus and checked in with Port Police there. The Port Police in Piraeus did not charge us any fees when we arrived, but maybe they will charge when we check out of here. FWIW, we are staying in a marina in Pireaus and maybe that negates the port charges. I have no idea, but will not be surprised if we are charged a fee when we go back to Port Police to have the transit log stamped for our departure.

Judy
S/V BeBe
Old 15-06-2011, 01:47   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I have another question about cruising greece. Why do you have to clear in to every island? I mean, if I'm not leaving Greece, why do I have to always be clearing in? We will be anchoring most of the time. I can appreciate needing to pay port fees if I'm docking but why when anchoring? What are the rules for this?
Having to clear in and out of every port is not that unusual. Many countries require this -- Colombia, Panama, Venezuela, Ecuador, Malaysia, Indonesia, India -- just to name a few that we have visited that had this same requirement.

Judy
S/V BeBe
Old 15-06-2011, 01:57   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post

Cheers

Yeloya

American friends ran into problems when clearing out of Greece in Simi. They had overstayed the total 90 days allowed in the total EU as per the Schengen Treaty. They had only been in Greece less than 30 days, but over the 90 day limit covering all the other countries combined. They were charged 1250 Euro per person in Simi for being in the EU longer than 90 days. When we cleared into Greece (and the EU for the first time) the Customs officer in Pythagorion (Samos) warned us that we must clear out of Greece no later than the 89th day, or we would be charged a high fee on the 90th day.

Just pointing out the possibilities and reminding non-EU readers than some places do rigidly enforce the Schengen Treaty limits.

Judy
S/V BeBe

Tags
Greece