Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 26-05-2011, 03:51   #16

Re: Tips for Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjosip View Post
I am openning this topic after being suggested that it might be usefull for people visiting croatian coast. Since I don't always have a lot of time I am also inviting all others to contribute this topic with their tips and experiences.

INTRODUCTION:

For a "quick and dirty" introduction to croatian coast I suggest this link: Croatian coast

The common division of coast in Croatia is:

Northern Adriatic
Central Adriatic
Southern Adriatic

This is the map of division:

Usefull links:

DHMZ (Hourly updated meteo info+forecast)

Prvi hrvatski on-line peljar Jadranskog mora :: peljar.cvs.hr (online nautical maps, can be printed)

Adriatic Croatia International Club | ACI Marinas (Marinas association)

Marinas in Croatia (some more marinas in Croatia)

Croatia | Croatian National Tourist Board. Travel, tourism and tourist information - en-GB (croatian tourist board, has info about tourist offices, the main place to file complaints, if any )

(to be continued)
I loved the nature and the harbours, but we don't go back there.
The people are really not friendly at all, and there is no wind !

Very beautiful are :

Skradin and the waterfalls (it is about two hours landinwards)
Dubrovnik
Trogir
Korcula

Frederik V.

Old 26-05-2011, 04:49   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederik V View Post

Very beautiful are :

Skradin and the waterfalls (it is about two hours landinwards)
Dubrovnik
Trogir
Korcula

Frederik V.
My experience was different. Plenty of wind most days! And very friendly people. Rapacious taxi drivers, but that is like the case in many ex-Communist countries and not unique to Croatia. I speak Russian (a close relative of Serbo-Croatian) so I was able to understand quite a bit of the local language and communicate. Not too much English spoken there outside of the cities!

Gorgeous, gorgeous cruising grounds -- magnificent nature, beautiful ancient ports -- fantastic! We chartered a locally-made boat, a Salona 45, which was an excellently sailing vessel yet quite comfortable, from a very competent and friendly charter company ("Ovo Salona Club" in Split), for a reasonable price in high season. We spent a week in Trogir in a rented apartment just hanging around after the charter was over. It was a thoroughly enjoyable time!

Highly recommended and can't wait to get my own boat that far some day. So it's not cheap -- so what? So you want it to be cheap, too, on top of everything else?!

Old 26-05-2011, 09:13   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
My experience was different. Plenty of wind most days! And very friendly people. Rapacious taxi drivers, but that is like the case in many ex-Communist countries and not unique to Croatia. I speak Russian (a close relative of Serbo-Croatian) so I was able to understand quite a bit of the local language and communicate. Not too much English spoken there outside of the cities!

Gorgeous, gorgeous cruising grounds -- magnificent nature, beautiful ancient ports -- fantastic! We chartered a locally-made boat, a Salona 45, which was an excellently sailing vessel yet quite comfortable, from a very competent and friendly charter company ("Ovo Salona Club" in Split), for a reasonable price in high season. We spent a week in Trogir in a rented apartment just hanging around after the charter was over. It was a thoroughly enjoyable time!

Highly recommended and can't wait to get my own boat that far some day. So it's not cheap -- so what? So you want it to be cheap, too, on top of everything else?!

I think we must have had bad luck in our contacts then. (It is 4 and 5 years ago - in June - that we went there, Dubrovnik was still "under repair" after the war. Maybe that had a bad influence on the locals and on the tourists ...)

The sailing area is indeed really beautiful with a lot of nice anchoring spots!
(I must also admit that I have been sailing many years around the Greek Islands and found people very friendly, except last year as well in Rhodos as in Symi. But this year we go back there and hope for the best !)
PS : I have also a good experience on sailing from Corfu and visiting the Ionic Islands with a very nice stop at the Isle of Paxoi.

Frederik V
Old 28-05-2011, 05:26   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederik V View Post

Frederik V.

I am sad to hear that, Frederik.

Cro coast is where people really live right next to the shoreline, it is not a newly built condominiums where people were brought from outside to work and their smile to guests is paied with salary. Unfortunatelly, the slogan that spanish marketing agency came up with for croatian coast "the Mediterrean as it once was" works in the ways not initially thought of.
Old 11-09-2011, 17:48   #20

Quote:
I am openning this topic after being suggested that it might be usefull for people visiting croatian coast. Since I don't always have a lot of time I am also inviting all others to contribute this topic with their tips and experiences.
Well, I'll try to give some domestic tips, despite my bad english.

I live in southern Istria, have 3 wooden boats and move on the local seas since I was a kid. Southern Kvarner and northen Zadar islands are my playground.

First about weather...

I do not agree totally with @pjosip about the weather. The weather in northen Adriatic can be deadly. Every year few people do die because of the forces of nature. But, in maybe 99% they don't die because of seworthiness of their vessel, they do die because panic or unlogical decisions. But, there are hunderts of accidents with serious damage. Most of them are because people drive big speedy yacht on autopilot and don't watch, but big part is due to weather suprise.

You can have two kind of weather suprise, like @pjosip wrote, nevera mostly from w (but sometimes it can be anywhere from 3. and 4. quadrant) and bura from NE. Both are notorius for transforming from totally calm weather to raging 60 knotes in just 30 seconds.

Nevera is always predictabile at least half hour before on its huuuge clouds which brings seriously bad weather, but of short duration, usually half hour. You don't want to be on the sea whean that happens. And is not happening rarely, it is happening always when an cold front is aproaching, with top activity in july and august. It is small chance to hit particular area. because the cloud is rarely exceeding 50 km diameter. It has very sharp ends, just a mile out it could be totally calm. They are weakest in the morning and strongest in sunset.

Problem forecasting nevera is that even the best forecast services don't know exact area and time for a hit. They just forecast probability for broader area and general time. It is a time for all skippers to sail with percaution and look for signs on western horizon, and always have in mind closest cove protected from W. If nevera hits you on the open sea, do not try to go nowhere near land. You just have to point your bow in position which takes waves most easily and maintain your position as good as you can. you can expect winds from 30 to sometimes 70 knotes, hard hail, thunderstorm in it's worst. Don't forget your flashlights even in middle of august day! But luckily for suprised sailors it lasts only for about half hour.

Do not relax after nevera! There is big chance that very soon strong bura will begin! So coves and harbours sheltered from NE are to be found. Luckily, there are many.

Bura is always precisely weather forcasted. It is result of passing cold front over or northerly from us. Notorius of coming from nothing in very short time. It could be really nice, sunny, summer day and suddenly there is 60 knots bura. Very unpleasent expirience. There are some notorious places where you shouldn't be if bura is forcasted, for instance Senj and Maslenica. Generally strongest bura has Velebit channel with peaks around Senj and Maslenica and after that somewhat weaker, but still unconfort southern Kvarner. Best protection toward bura is to closely monitor weather forecast. Bura is in most cases predicted with great precision 3 days in advance. In the morning is strongest, during the day loses little bit of its force, but after sunset gets stronger again. Blows mostly in the spring, march being most notorious month. In the summer, after the rain, it always comes bura and it blows for day or two, gradualy losing strenght.
Old 16-02-2012, 03:21   #21

Quote:
Basically, if you see bouys in some bay, that means that the bay is under "concession", meaning they might charge you.
This is the link to the updated list of authorized "concessions": MMPI (choose NAUTIČKA SIDRIŠTA)

I am reading here:

Naplata veza (pravila i iskustva)

"The concessionar can charge for buoy and for anchoring INSIDE CONCESSION AREA!"

So, if you are anchoring outside concession area - they can not charge you. And the area of concession area is strictly defined with GPS coordinates in the file I gave you the link above!
Maybe you could print that table out and use it to anchor outside concession areas? Pay attention - 1.) you must be outside concesion area 2.) you mustn't close entrance or exit of concession with position of your anchored boat and 3.) you mustn't endanger overall security of sea traffic

Regarding this Issue ("outside concession area"), there is a site that shows the exact coordinates of the anchorages in Google-Maps, see here:
SY Wosamma

There also is a blog about this map at Anchorages in Croatia
Old 18-02-2012, 04:34   #22

hello, looking forward on chartering in croatia next season, does anyone knows a good chartering company/base?
thanks.
Old 18-02-2012, 06:30   #23

Boat: <sold the 140' steel flybridge ketch & Hunter CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinajui View Post
hello, looking forward on chartering in croatia next season, does anyone knows a good chartering company/base?
thanks.
dinajul,

We are arriving in Croatia today for a week charter starting tommorrow. Then we are staying another week visiting several marinas and ports looking for a cat to circumnavigate in. Will post the results of what we found when we leave in 2 weeks from today for you enroute to Turkey. We like tax havens for purchasing things!

John & Carol
Old 18-02-2012, 22:32   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cruiser View Post
dinajul,

We are arriving in Croatia today for a week charter starting tommorrow. Then we are staying another week visiting several marinas and ports looking for a cat to circumnavigate in. Will post the results of what we found when we leave in 2 weeks from today for you enroute to Turkey. We like tax havens for purchasing things!

John & Carol
Thanks for the reply johnny! looking forward o hearing about your trip.
happy sailing
Old 19-02-2012, 02:16   #25

Boat: Beneteau 50

I sailed Croatia 2011 and will sail again this med summer, a superb area, great people. My boat is on the hard at Marina Punat, not far south of Slovenia, easy sail to Venice. Highly recommend it, has had Marina of the year in Croatia for many years. Good security and maintenance facilities, nice little local town, 20 minutes from Rijeka Airport, check out www.marina-punat.hr .Marinas are not cheep in Croatia compared to greece or Turkey.
Old 19-02-2012, 06:44   #26

Boat: 4X wanted
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinajui
thanks.
Look at Kastela
Approx ten charter companies. Good facilities.
Ron
B
Old 30-03-2012, 11:10   #27

new floating petrol station for cruisers in "marina frapa"

Vecernji.hr - U marini Frapa otvorena prva plutaju
Old 12-04-2012, 08:03   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinajui View Post
thanks.
Hi there
Can I ask how long did you stay ,so I can give you best place for that time .
Old 12-04-2012, 08:18   #29

Boat: Van de Stadt 34 (Steel)

Croatia is the most expensive sailing area in the Med.

Tags
Croatia

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: