Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2013, 11:24   #16

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.
Re: The £200 Millionaire

Hya Sun Devil, boy did you pick a wrong way to pass through the region ! Seriously, my boat is 4 metres wide and the locks can take a 5 metre wide boat by 38 metres long.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 11:34   #17

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Sun Devil, I pay NO TAXES, a cruising permit for the canals is 250 Euro a year and mooring fees for the winter are 250 for 3 months, have your mid life crisis now and buy my much loved boat, it's up for sale on Apollo Duck.
You know how sailors are, well I met this French lassie and she isn't too keen that I played around a bit when I was single and thinks we ought to have a boat wth fewer memories, the aft cabin has a few notches on the headboard, the V berth has too !
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 12:00   #18

Boat: csy 37
if you've ever wondered about my username

onestepcsy37.

the 'csy37' is my boat - a csy 37.

and the 'onestep' comes from a short story called (you guessed it) 'the 200 millionaire'. sorry, my american keyboard doesn't have the english pound symbol on it. i first read it in annie halls book; she published the entire story in the appendix.

the words 'one step' appear near the end of the story. thanks for giving me the chance to explain myself.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 12:15   #19

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
I enjoyed every minute of that first winter, and by the time the spring came round I knew I had discovered the perfect life. I was happier than I ever hoped to be, and healthier than I had ever been. I found myself looking forward to each day, and every day had some new interest. Life was, without exaggeration, nearly perfect. If I found myself anywhere or amongst people I did not care for, all I had to do was to heave up my anchor and go somewhere else. That's one of the many advantages of living aboard a boat.
Hmmm...gets you thinking, doesn't it?
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 13:33   #20

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
A blast from the past. This lovely story of another world came up in the dredge and I thought I'd share it with the CF'ers. My, how things have changed. Still, there's gold in them there words. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. If the story pleases you, feel free to send £200 to the Micah Institute of Bludging Free Stuff. If you're too stingy for that, inflict a random act of selfless kindness on a stranger for me.

The £200 Millionaire

Continued on link, it's only a 10min read....
also printed in its entirety in Annie Hill's first book.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 14:19   #21

Boat: Baltic 38DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
I learned that Zeeland is in the Netherlands... I thought it was slang for New Zealand at first.
New Zealand was named after the Dutch province of Zeeland, like New York after the city of York, New Hampshire after Hampshire, and so on. Nowadays the "New" version is often more famous.

I live in Jersey (British protectorate off the coast of France). How many times I have to explain that it's not where the Sopranos was filmed.... LOL!

On-topic: it was a lovely story. But I wanted to know whether the writer and his wife actually went through with their adventure.

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:05   #22

Apologies for digging this thread out of the grave. I just read Annie Hills' voyaging on a small income and was enthralled by the £200 millionaire story.

I was wondering what happened to the man. Not long after that the war would have started and he would have lost his lifestyle. Who was he? Are there any picture's of him or his boat?
Mozzie is offline   Reply With Quote