Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2011, 11:20   #1

Suggestions for First Time Bareboat in Greece ?

Hello,

We are looking at bareboating in Greece this Sept and are hoping to find some suggestions for what areas to cruise. We would prefer a cat and plan on a one week trip. There seems to be a myriad of cruising grounds which makes the planning a bit overwhelming for our first time out there.

We are experienced sailors but would prefer an area that is perhaps a bit more protected or generally easier to handle. We would like to mix the trip with areas that provide good swimming/snorkeling/diving along with shore excursions. A few of us are kiteboarders/windsurfers as well, so any information on such areas and rentals would be helpful.

Any additional information about general cruising in Greece would be great. For instance, concerns about deeper anchoring, med style moorring, customs, general cost of provisions, fuel, water et.

Thanks in advance for your input!
cbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 06:09   #2

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 38
Re: Suggestions for First Time Bareboat in Greece ?

Phew

Why Greece, what your describing sounds like Turkey!

The only place in Greece where the weather is what your describing is the Ionian. The Cyclades and the Dodecanese are lovely but can have strong winds with large seas building in a short time.

Turkey friendlier, cheaper and has plenty of coastal pretection. Cats are available, although finding a charter company with windsurfers available will be more of a challenge.

You should also know this time of year is high season, so already availability will be limited.
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 07:01   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcat View Post
Hello,
We are looking at bareboating in Greece this Sept and are hoping to find some suggestions for what areas to cruise.
For a week cruise in September I would personally opt for southern part of Dodecanese. Starting point should be Kos Marina on Kos Island. Depending on the charter company You can arrange for returning the boat the same place or - much better - do it "one way" with the destination harbour on Rhodes. The second option will be a little more pricey, may be - if the company can not easily arrange for another one way from Rhodes to Kos, but in September it shouldn't be a problem. Just prepare for a little bargaining
The itinerary can include the Kamari (Kamares) on suthwestern part of Kos (some windsurfing there), the Nisiros Island (see "Tips For Greece" thread at the same sub-forum - also some nice windsurfing on southern side of the island), Tilos Island, Simi Island, and finally the Rhodes.
You will be protected from steeper waves by Kos and Turkish coast all the time. Kos and Rhodes are great for sightseeing, the Nisiros has its interesting volcano, Tilos is nice "off the way spot" and Simi is a real gem -one of the most beautiful places in Greece with some nice coves for snorkeling.
For the charter a cat check with Vernicos , Kiriacoulis or Easysailing for example. I think getting the windsurfers will be not a problem with them.

Have a nice sailing

Regards

Tomasz
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 06:09   #4

Boat: Oyster 485
Send a message via Skype™ to sobriyah

Two good recommendations here: Ionian islands or Southern Dodecanese with the possibility to sail over to Turkey if your charter company permits it. Either way you'll enjoy it.
sobriyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 06:21   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Skopai limani in turkey , hire out of gocek
Old 27-03-2011, 06:42   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobriyah View Post
Two good recommendations here: Ionian islands or Southern Dodecanese with the possibility to sail over to Turkey if your charter company permits it. Either way you'll enjoy it.
Ionian is utmost attractive destination but You do prefer a cat. Most pleasant places in Ionian have very small harbours, where the cat is really handful. You will probably find Your options somewhat limited there. It was one of main reaons, why I suggested Sothern Dodecanese. For me it is better destination for cat cruising. Just my opinion, of course
Old 28-03-2011, 15:06   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Cbcat,

September is a nice season either for Dodocanese or South west Turkey. (they are anyway 20 nm away from each other..)
If you say cat, there are more opportunities in Turkey. Also, for snorkelling, surfing, better anchorages (of any kind)
As doublewhisky suggested, Rhodes and Simi are exceptional, but overcrowded. Kos and Tilos are to be avoided, waste of time. Simi port is a real mess, difficult to find a place, very narrow and everybody is anchoring over the next one. (the divers are very busy there ..)
Rhodes is the same, if not worse. May and October are great in these islands.
If you decide to go to Turkey, Göcek is convenient as it is very close to the airport. (30 min) However getting a cat could be a challenge, there are only 4-5 in total out 2 decent charter company, Marmaris has more options.
Turkey is somewhat cheaper (not much though) than Greece both in terms of charter prices and in overall.
Finally, if you charter from Turkey visiting Rhodes and Simi (if you still want) is possible and it will cost you roughly 2-300 € extra. I don't know if this is possible when you charter from Greece, but I've never seen a Greek charter boat in Turkish waters..
Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 15:29   #8

Boat: Oyster 485
Send a message via Skype™ to sobriyah

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
Cbcat,

Kos and Tilos are to be avoided, waste of time. Simi port is a real mess, difficult to find a place, very narrow and everybody is anchoring over the next one. (the divers are very busy there ..)
Rhodes is the same, if not worse.
Symi and Tilos were two of our favourite Greek islands, and Corfu, Paxos, and Keffalonia in the Ionian were charming too.

Found the south coast of Turkey very busy with gulets, and unfortunately, there was no wind when we were there, so it was hot! Maybe we just prefer islands.
sobriyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 15:44   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I've never seen a Greek charter boat in Turkish waters..
Cheers

Yeloya
Says a lot
Old 29-03-2011, 03:55   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

After all it's a matter of taste. I personally like very much Nisiros, but many people I took to there, weren't really impressed. Simi to me is spectacular and unique, but for those who don't like to be 5 m form the lousy and busy bar, it's not. On the other hand, there are people going there for these bars..
Gulets sometimes are problem, particularly on Göçek bays. Thanks God, they are not so many in the area we are talking about.
Finally, in order to compare the Dodacanes to South western tip of Turkey, one need to have seen both enough. I have been sailing extensively in the area, a bit more on Turkish side than Greek side and not only in summer, the whole year around.
Simi and Rhodes are at their best in May or October. Otherwise they are both full of mostly uneducated Turkish motor yatch, the prices are out of ceiling, very hot and noisy.
Lastly, greeks don't help anybody, not even to take yr rope. They simply sit there and look at you. One exception was in Vathis / Kalimnos, a restaurant owner helped me in getting in safely while in Turkey this is a general practice..

So it's up to you to decide..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 04:05   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
After all it's a matter of taste. Yeloya
And this is the clue, I do believe. Best to visit all places, but for the first time You have so much of choice, it is difficult to decide
Old 29-03-2011, 04:12   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Simi and Rhodes are at their best in May or October. Otherwise they are both full of mostly uneducated Turkish motor yachts. Yeloya
Even first half of June and second half of Speptember is quite good
And Greek motor yachts are not a bit better. Worse, if anything.
But my personal issue are the gulets (whatever the flag). They always want to bring their passengers straight to the quay, pushing away to the sides the moored boats... I'm always looking for tight berth in any harbour frequented by gulets, without enough place for them to squeeze into between by brute force... Not all do this, but many enough to be aware of them...

Tags
bareboat, Greece, greece