Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2014, 02:03   #1

Question Strofades islands in Greece

Have anyone visited Strofades while cruising Ionian islands in Greece?
These are two small islands 30 miles south of Zakynthos.
I'm interested in visiting an ancient monastery there, but it's a long way: 30 miles from Keri, nearest harbor. If you make it both ways, you must cover 60 miles that day.
On Google Earth I've seen pictures, showing that sailing boats visit Strofades, but is there safe ancorage to stay for the night?

Of course, you can simply get on a tourist boat in Zakynthos town, but that's, like, cheating
steppencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 02:29   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Strofades islands in Greece

Yes I have visited the islands, and anchored overnight. In fact I spent about a week there.

It is not a bad anchorage, but like many of the best spots it is a little more challenging than some. If you are planning to visit this time of year you will need good anchoring gear and technique.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 03:08   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We anchored about where I have put the marker pin. Depths are in m.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	92147  
Old 22-11-2014, 03:17   #4

Thank you!
I'm currently planning my trip for June 2015, so it will be early summer time.
Do you have any tips for anchoring?
I guess I should anchor between the islands to get some cover, and put lines ashore?
Is seabed good enogth there?
Old 22-11-2014, 03:19   #5

Thank you, I started typing my previous message before I've seen your scheme.
Old 22-11-2014, 03:22   #6

I don't have greek pilot yet, but from google earth satellite images seabed around the islands seems very rocky. Didn't you experience any problems with that?
Old 22-11-2014, 03:43   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There are some large boulders and areas of rock in the anchorage so it worth arriving at a time when the bottom is still visible. Take some time to hunt around for a sand area. Some of these are only small. I suspect there is rock not too far below the sand.

We got an acceptable, but not great set with our Rocna. The only other yacht I saw there used a Bruce and either deliberately, or accidentally (I suspect the latter) simply dropped the anchor between some boulders.

There are plenty of rocks to stern tie too and that is often a good policy in anchorages that get deep quickly like this one, but I prefer the changing view of swinging around where possible and that's what we did.
Old 22-11-2014, 04:09   #8

Thank you, very helpful insight!
Old 22-11-2014, 15:48   #9

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey DS43

Hello! My wife and I have sailed extensively those areas and are familiar with rocky and deep anchorages typical of the Greek islands especially the Ionians. We have not sailed the Strofades however we first would recommend a Pilot as its is very useful and very accurate in that part of the world.
Here are a few tips on Anchoring. First Hilda and I will avoid dropping anchor in a rocky area as it won't give you a good night of sleep. If you have no choice or the anchorage is too deep than we recommend you drop an anchor line to help you retrieve your anchor in the eventuality is catches under or between rocks. Secondly, I always dive to check the anchor hold if visibility permits. Thirdly we will likely tie stern to shore at a good distance in case we loose on your anchor. Remember in the eventuality you run a ground, the first thing to go is the rudder, so better be preventive in that part of the world!
Stern to shore lines can be tricky to install especially if you are short handed. After testing different protocols, Hilda and I favour the following. Both of you have to be interchangeable in all functions on board. So Hilda will drop anchor as I will steer the ship backward toward shore. As we come close to our final position( with 40 meters of anchor chain out) she will take over at the wheel and I will swim to shore with a 5 meter line around my shoulder (to wrap around a tree or a rock) to which I will have tied temporarily the shore line. Using the dinghy proved to be far more complex and required far more time which sometime time you don't have due to wind. this is why I swim to shore. We tie two shore lines using the winches to make the final adjustments and than transfer them to the cleats. The first of the two lines installed is always the windward one. Once properly installed you can take your time to instal the second one. Last advice is that we try to tie to shore so that the prevailing wind will hit the stern so to push the ship away from shore and relieve the anchor.
Hope this help.
Hilda and Jacques
Chalifour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 15:57   #10

Great advices. I usually follow them when anchoring except that I never dropped an anchor line because I always anchored in sandy places. Do you tie a fender to the anchor line?
Old 22-11-2014, 16:06   #11

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey DS43

Yes, We do tie a Fender so that we can retrieve the line without having to dive. You tie the fender at the appropriate length on the line based on the depth plus one meter. We use a dedicated little orange flotter so that an other ship doesn't take it for a mooring, which happened to us in the past!
Chalifour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 19:06   #12

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppencat View Post
Have anyone visited Strofades while cruising Ionian islands in Greece?
These are two small islands 30 miles south of Zakynthos.
I'm interested in visiting an ancient monastery there, but it's a long way: 30 miles from Keri, nearest harbor. If you make it both ways, you must cover 60 miles that day.
On Google Earth I've seen pictures, showing that sailing boats visit Strofades, but is there safe ancorage to stay for the night?

Of course, you can simply get on a tourist boat in Zakynthos town, but that's, like, cheating
I think I passed there once two years ago and didn't look good (with 20k wind). The pilot book does not say well about it either. Just in front on the coast you have Kyparissia. It is about the same distance from Zakinthos but if the weather is not heavy you can stay on the beach. There is also a small port. On the way to Zakinthos, depending on the wind,Katakolo is also an option: Big port and very good anchorage for most winds, but maybe you know all this already
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 21:06   #13

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran

With regard to securing a line ashore. Use a floating rope (helps when swimming to shore and is always visible) We fitted a s/s chain at the end so we could often just throw it over a suitable rock (stops chafing )

The rules have changed now and authorities do not want you to tie to trees, so beware
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 00:25   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalifour View Post
so that an other ship doesn't take it for a mooring, which happened to us in the past!
Wow! Must be a nervous moment!
Old 23-11-2014, 00:39   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I think I passed there once two years ago and didn't look good (with 20k wind). The pilot book does not say well about it either. Just in front on the coast you have Kyparissia. It is about the same distance from Zakinthos but if the weather is not heavy you can stay on the beach. There is also a small port. On the way to Zakinthos, depending on the wind,Katakolo is also an option: Big port and very good anchorage for most winds, but maybe you know all this already
No, I don't know much about Greece yet - I've ordered "Greek waters pilot" by mail, it should arrive in a few weeks. Katakolo seems a nice option (Kyparissia is too far from Lefkada where we should return after our 2-week cruise).

But I still like the idea of spending a day in this desolate place. I think I will plan this way but in case of strong wind will keep an option in mind.

Tags
Greece