Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2010, 13:02   #1

Sporades

Hi everybody, has anybody experience at Sporades?

I'm looking into it for next summer, and I would like to know something about moorings there; are there marinas, buoys? Or is it mediterranean style moorings or anchoring?

Thank you very much!
F
foucault76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 13:21   #2

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
I think I caught sporades last year. There was a cream that helped clear up the rash.
Old 22-03-2010, 04:39   #3

Boat: Bavaria 37
Hi,
Sporades are wonderfull islands at spring. I Will be back to these islands next may and then to north Aegean. To answer the question : mooring is easy and you have a lot of possibilities, but no "real" marina. In Skiatos, you have different renting bases along the quays of the natural port, so you will find what tou could need. In Skopelos you have a port with a long quay where you can get water and electricity (a small truck can deliver gas oil). In other places it is "mediterranean style moorings or anchoring" as you say.
I suggest you to buy the Aegean Pilot Guide (Imray) to get all detailed informations you need.
In summer it will be of course more crowded... But less windy than in central Aegean...
If you have other questions do not hesitate !
Jacques
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 05:40   #4

Thank you very much Jacques2, I will certainly buy Aegean Pilot Guide if we decide to sail the Sporades. I mainly wanted to know if there are buoys since I don't know those islands and the sea, so I will be more confident on a buoy than on an anchor, and I understood there are no buoys.

Scook1: I don't understand your reply.

Regards
F.
foucault76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 05:56   #5

The last time I was sailing in the Sporades (2008) there were no buoys. So you have mostly to anchor except when you can go alongside a quay (maybe not frequently in high season).
But, you know, the Pilot guide will give you very detailed informations about quite each cove where you can anchor and you will know whether it is "good holding" or not, how the bottom is, when it is protected or not, etc... There are also very efficient meteo forecasts for this aerea.
So, except in very bad conditions, you can sleep very well onboard.
Jacques2
Old 23-03-2010, 03:25   #6

IMHO: Forget the Imray.

the better one is this:
Greece Sea Guide

You have perfect descriptions and all necessary charts.
Joefloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 03:53   #7

IMHO : I don't think one is better of the other.
In fact, their conception and ...price are very different.
it depends on how long you are sailing in this aerea, and mostly whether you have still (or not) the charts on your laptop, etc...
So, according to the question of foucault76, IMHO, I think that to prepare a sail trip Imray will be very usefull and not to much expansive.
Old 24-05-2012, 14:38   #8
Marine Service Provider

Re: Sporades

The most up-to-date information about sailing in the Sporades can be found in the Sporades Sailing Pilot as its updated every year! Its jam packed full of useful information, SVG graphic chart-lets, useful photographs and such like. It covers all the islands in the Sporades; The Gulf of Volos and Pelion, Trikeri and Orei Channels, Evia and Skyros. It has lots of alternative berthing and anchoring positions and has very useful local knowledge. Its available as kindle ebook, so can get it on your iphone etc. You should check out the free preview on the kindle store, will give you a better idea.... link below

The Sporades Sailing PIlot eBook: David Nairn: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store
ionianpilot is offline   Reply With Quote