Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2018, 12:51   #1

Sicily itinerary

I am planning to sail in Sicily in June for 7 days. It is my understanding that there are two main sailing areas there: Aeolian islands and Palermo-Egadi islands. I need to decide which area to sail now, so I can choose the charter base, Palermo or Pondarosa.
What are the pros and cons of each area. From what I read, Aeolian islands sailing is, basically, only nature while Palermo-Egadi islands route allows for stops in interesting historical towns. Is my perception correct?
What are other pros and cons of each route?
Anjulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 19:07   #2
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Sicily itinerary

I was in the Egadi Islands for two days last year. That's not long enough to give a full opinion, but for me, I wouldn't charter there if I had a choice. We also only spent one night on Stromboli but this region seemed to offer much better scenery and more areas to actually sail around.

We also spent 4 days in Siracusa and honestly didn't like it. The marina had a ton of trash it in and the historical areas were not nearly as nice as so many other areas we had visited before. Same for Ragusa and Licata from the water. My friends did rent a car and visit the Unesco Heritage site near Licata and said it was nice. They also said that pretty much everything seemed ruined in between - like unkept and left to rot. I just wasn't impressed with Sicily in general.

We really liked the south of Sardinia. Malta rocks, Gozo rules.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:14   #3

Boat: Dolphin 460, 14m

I have been sailing this area for 10 years. You are mostly correct. Both areas will be a great sailing vacation. Sicily, in my opinion, is special, but the sailing can be difficult because of anchoring and marinas are few. Use Google Earth and decide on your sail plan ahead of going. June is a good time. The winds and storms are general not a problem during this time period. The water is still a bit cold, but generally the sun is great all day. If I had to choose one place over the other I would flip a coin. After you have sailed those two location you must try Croatia and Greece. We have been sailing the Med for over ten years and still have not seen it all. Good luck and have fun. PS. Rent a catamaran if you can; you will not be sorry. From S/V Finalmente a Dolphin 460
Dolphin460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:33   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sicily itinerary

I'd opt for the Western end as well..
Like Mazara del Vallo, Marsala and a lot of the places that side..
Must remember Sicily is poorly served by the Italian government.. kinda second class citizen but the locals are nice folks in the main.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:49   #5

I just have to reply to Palarran. It seems you were in a hurry. Siracusa is beautiful. The old town has great restaurants, shops and the open square in old town at night is unlike anywhere I have ever been; it feels like you are in a painting, but you are not. The every day open market is probably one of the best is all of Italy and a must to visit. We always anchor out and tender in. The rub to the bay is that the water is brown and that is because of the river that flows into the bay. We do not make water there. Up the south coast is Marina di Ragusa (MdR) and the town of Ragusa and Ebla. The marina is one of the nicest in all of Sicily, but a bit expensive for short term stays. The towns in this area are spectacular; Ebla, Noto, Modica, You can anchor outside in 3 meters over sand. Further up the coast are some of the best Greek ruins outside of Greece; Agrigento. I could go on, but by viewing Rick Steve’s is the best way to understand Sicily and why a visit is worth the time and money.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:11   #6
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I had plenty of time to see Siracusa but was in a hurry for the rest of my trip. But I've spent a lot of time in different Mediterranean areas and stand by by observations. Maybe if your visiting by land it would be different but for me, a big disappointment.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:24   #7

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin460 View Post
I just have to reply to Palarran. It seems you were in a hurry. Siracusa is beautiful. The old town has great restaurants, shops and the open square in old town at night is unlike anywhere I have ever been; it feels like you are in a painting, but you are not. The every day open market is probably one of the best is all of Italy and a must to visit. We always anchor out and tender in. The rub to the bay is that the water is brown and that is because of the river that flows into the bay. We do not make water there. Up the south coast is Marina di Ragusa (MdR) and the town of Ragusa and Ebla. The marina is one of the nicest in all of Sicily, but a bit expensive for short term stays. The towns in this area are spectacular; Ebla, Noto, Modica, You can anchor outside in 3 meters over sand. Further up the coast are some of the best Greek ruins outside of Greece; Agrigento. I could go on, but by viewing Rick Steve’s is the best way to understand Sicily and why a visit is worth the time and money.
You mean this anchorage? (my boat is the best looking one LOL):

and this square?

this food (swordfish):

I agree with you about Siracusa but that is also true that Sicily coast has not many anchorages even if it has some magnificente places like Taormina (good anchorage too):

On the Islands on the North (Eolie) like Palaran said, there is more anchorages but not the cultural density of Siciliy. It is true that it is some times a power and slightly decadent ambient but that has its magic two: to look at things before tourism restores them, it is cheaper and it has its magic too.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:36   #8

Great pics. Looks like you visited during high season. We general are in Croatia and Greece where there are less people that t8me of the year and more anchorage. We use MdR for winter mooring because of the many cruisers (over 150) that call it home.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:07   #9

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Great pics. Looks like you visited during high season. We general are in Croatia and Greece where there are less people that t8me of the year and more anchorage. We use MdR for winter mooring because of the many cruisers (over 150) that call it home.
That should be end of June, maybe beginning of July. At that time I had the boat near Rome and I used to sail south going to Greece or Turkey passing by Aeolian Islands and Sicily.

Siracusa was not crowded and on Taormina it was Saturday night. Most people is Italian, they have the habit to go to Taormina for the night. During the day there was not so many people.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 23:06   #10

The answer is easy: 90% of people , maybe more, charter in portorosa for the Eolian islands which is the most densely cruised area of the tirrenian sea.
Anchorage is critical and marinas are overcrowded
In one week you cannot tour Sicily by any means and a sailboat is the less indicated, being the slowest, for a cultural trip

I live and sail in the east cost of Sicily and and there are beautiful cities to visit by sail: Catania and Siracusa are well served and reachable by foot , Taormina much more critical to reach oor marina and necessarily you have to taxi there from giardini Naxos, some nice fishing towns like Brucoli and marzamemi

Hope it helps
Ciao
marcofailla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 04:27   #11

Quote:
I have to agree with you, we really enjoyed our time in Siracusa. Everyone has different experiences in different places
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 08:08   #12

I am new to this forum. Just wanted to mentioned that I know the Aeolian Islands very well. So if anyone has specific questions there, let me know.
Ciao
Cristian A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:20   #13

I'll be sailing the Aeolians next June (2019), probably chartering out of Portorosa. My question is Mono or Cat? Typically I prefer a mono in most of the Med., where we want to be on town quays for the food and town visits, but it seems this area is more about nature and that there are limited marinas. I welcome any comments or suggestions, thanks!

Edsml
edsml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:53   #14

Dear Edsml,

catamarano or monohull is a personal choice, both a good for the Aeolian Island arcipelago.

The public town piers are not for charter boats, so expect to enter the private marinas. The prices for catamarans are about 1.5 times more than that of a similar sized monohull.

You would want a full week just to explore the Aeolian Islands.

The strait of Messina is challenging as there are very strong currents and very heavy boat traffic.

I would suggest doing one week by boat just in the Aeolian and then another week by land visiting the Eastern coastline of Sicily.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Ciao

Cristian
Cristian A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 13:02   #15

Cristian,

Neglected to mention that I'm taking two groups for 10 days each (three-week charter), but it sounds as if even with the extra time, you'd avoid sailing to Messina? Maybe Tropea?

Edsml
edsml is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Sicily