Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2014, 14:15   #151

Boat: Various
Re: Should A Non Eu Boat Sail Across The Atlantic To Sail The Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

PS: you might let me know where you find an annual lease, that doesn't cost a kings ransom

dave
I don't recall saying it didn't cost a kings ransom. And I'm not planning this for a few years yet and hopefully Schengen will have changed by then. But by the time I'm taken a 130' boat across the Atlantic the cost of the marina won't seem so bad.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 14:28   #152

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
You asked a question and I gave the answer - the correct one too. Don't blame me because you don't feel like making the effort to get what you want.

If anyone else is interested here is a sample of the requirements page for France.

Long stay visa for non professional purpose "visitor visa" - Consulat Général de France à Washington

i guess sitting there in rhode isl is easy to say make the effort -- so what you are telling me is to put my boat on the hard - fly back to the usa - rent an apt for what 4-6 months - do a lot of paper work and personal interviews -- ect ect ect

you have got to be kidding -- we live on our boat full time -- understand full time - for you that means we spent hurricane season in panama and colombia and trinidad - winter over in the med in tunisia -- the boat gets out of the water for painting only - other than that she is our home -

some days getting thru to trolls is very flabergasting --
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 21:23   #153

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Who is in Rhode Island besides me?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 06:19   #154
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntlessny View Post
Who is in Rhode Island besides me?

Possibly "Savoir" who shows location Narragansett Bay. I think that's somewhere around RI.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 06:53   #155

Boat: Able 50

You rang ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	lurch4.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	83673
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 07:43   #156
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
For example in france, you will need a lease on an apartment or a home you own etc. You may also then classed as a resident and hence become EU "established". Visas do not assume that you might have a $500,000 asset in tow !!!!
Dave,

It's very rare I question your points about visas, but I think you're a bit off beam here.

One of my US web site readers chased up the French long stay visa. He discovered it was only possible to apply from USA, his "normal place of residence". He returned to US, applied, attended an interview, and received an extended visitor visa in his passport about a week later, as outlined in blue above. This permits him up to a year in France/Schengen, of which not more than 90 days may be spent in any other Schengen country. He remains "normally resident" in US.

There is no way of tracing time spent crossing borders in and out of conjoining Schengen countries.

He didn't have to produce proof of a French address.

The EU definition of "normal country of residence" appears to be close to the UK common law concept, rather than the tax resident test of "more than 182 days in a year", or any other "day counting" exercise.

JimB
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 08:14   #157
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckb View Post
Dave,

It's very rare I question your points about visas, but I think you're a bit off beam here.

One of my US web site readers chased up the French long stay visa. He discovered it was only possible to apply from USA, his "normal place of residence". He returned to US, applied, attended an interview, and received an extended visitor visa in his passport about a week later, as outlined in blue above. This permits him up to a year in France/Schengen, of which not more than 90 days may be spent in any other Schengen country. He remains "normally resident" in US.

There is no way of tracing time spent crossing borders in and out of conjoining Schengen countries.

He didn't have to produce proof of a French address.

The EU definition of "normal country of residence" appears to be close to the UK common law concept, rather than the tax resident test of "more than 182 days in a year", or any other "day counting" exercise.

JimB
Im not for a minute saying people haven't got them. In the case I was involved with , The person had to show that they had somewhere to live in france for the duration, by way of an apartment rental agreement. They had to show independent financial means and health insurance etc.

To my knowledge, no one has got it , by saying they are on a yacht.

The primary purpose for a french extended visa is to experience French culture. So its not really designed as a "Schengen Extender". It also means you are going to have to acquire a semi-permanent berth in a french med marina, ( thats very very difficult)

The tax residency is a complex issue. Normally a visitor has no issue, as they have no business in the EU or significant assets. HOWever a yacht is a very significant asset and in effect you can be accessed as importing it.

This exact situation happened to a couple that were over wintering in Paris, The French, with compassion, sorted their overstay by providing a visa, then assessed their yacht for VAT!.

All Im saying is that no-one should enter into these things lightly. You are not in effect a tourist

Normal, country of residence is not the issue, the issue is whether you are " established" in the EU. You could be "established" but not resident for example.

dave
Old 24-06-2014, 08:29   #158

Yes, in looking at Jim's original posting and his website, I did a bunch of research that confirms to me at least what Jim describes above.

France is an option, as is Spain. Clearly the Netherlands isn't.

But now I'm excited about being someplace different.
So for now, as I'm not sure if ilk end up in the Azores or Iceland, I'll wait to see.

Ireland is still an attractive option.

Old 24-06-2014, 08:30   #159
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

well , one of these days a cruiser will apply and well see what happens, first hand

good luck

dave
Old 02-07-2014, 13:38   #160

we have had a great run from sardinia up to corsica to rome and down the western italian coast and across the boot to otranto and will hopefully leave on sat 5 july for albania and then up to croatia -- we have been in the eu 65 days and times wished we could go inland to visit a few more things but kept moving as wx permitted
surprising a lot of italians ask why we are going to albania and we say schengren and they nod and say oh yes -- they understand our problem and seem sympathtic -
we blew out our mainsail yesterday and the coast guard said we can get it fixed up the road but we need to save days to get back to tunisia so we will get the work done in croatia

oh it is also interesting that we have met only one (1) non eu boats in our travels - and they had the same issue where to get out of the eu and they were counting days too --
Old 06-07-2014, 13:25   #161

Quote:
If you were prepared to take the mast down, you could winter in the heart of Dublin for about 50 euros, according to a barge friend of mine!

Wintering on the south coast of Ireland or the UK ( which is much more expensive) is not too difficult, Temperatures rarely go much below freezing and typically only for short times. Condensation is the main enemy of liveaboards. The rain in the early spring, can be a bit dispiriting . Being close to a major urban centre is a must in my view.

The main issue is that getting to ireland , from the med, is a hike , with the winds often on the nose. Getting from Northern Europe is a little easier, though not much, South Coast of the UK is a "little" easier.

personally if you are flying home anyway, why not do 90 days europe, 90 days Ireland/UK the another 90days Europe ( say spring to autumn) put boat on the hard ( in europe) then fly home for the winter , come back following spring do it again !
dave
I'm looking forward to ireland at this point.

Waterford looks good, inexpensive and close to the center of town. the only downside is that I want to be able to leave a few times during the six months.

Is Dublin that much more expensive?? Would it be worth my while, (more things to do, people, airport direct to NY) or would Waterford be more accommodating in the long run??
Old 06-07-2014, 13:46   #162

out of the eu and in albania -- so have about 25 days left to get back to tunisia for the winter - when we decide to head back --

oh and blew out a main sail a few days before we left italy -- a few folks told us of good sailmakers in italy but with schengren hanging over our heads we decided to go mainless and cross to albania and get a new main made in croatia
Old 06-07-2014, 14:06   #163

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
-- a few folks told us of good sailmakers in italy but with schengren hanging over our heads we decided to go mainless and cross to albania and get a new main made in croatia
Also an approach that makes the limitations seem less. Wait for all significant maintenance and changes to one's boat until in a non-schengen country so the 90 days in is used all for pleasure.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 14:56   #164

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Currently in Bermuda and leaving for the Azores in the next few days. Chuckr, we'll see you in the Med soon!

How's Albania so far? We heard Croatia is very expensive...Albania the same?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 06-07-2014, 16:37   #165
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntlessny View Post
Waterford looks good, inexpensive and close to the center of town. the only downside is that I want to be able to leave a few times during the six months.
Waterford is a nice town, small, wont take long to take in all the sights.
Marina/pontoons are very close to the centre, plenty of pubs and restaurants.
The local airport has cheap direct flights to Manchester UK.

Have you looked at Cork/Cobh. Much more to see and do, although the marina's are out of the city (there is a pontoon in the city but not really suitable for long stays).
Crosshaven has 3 marina's, about 30 minutes by bus to Cork, and there is a new marina at Monkstown, which is closer to Cork.
None of them are as cheap as Waterford though.

Dublin marina rates for the winter season are Euro 100 per meter according to their website.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail