Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2014, 02:12   #316

Boat: Able 50
Re: Should A Non Eu Boat Sail Across The Atlantic To Sail The Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiesnTequila View Post
The above confused me a bit! Any one know if the above is correct - that once a VAT paid EU flagged boat is re-flagged non EU (in our case Canadian), that the clock starts ticking on the VAT status? I thought where it was flagged didn't matter - only if it's out of the EU for more than 3 years, or if it changes ownership outside of the EU??

And one more quick question related to a slightly different topic: Am I correct in my understanding that (since we both carry EU passports) once we check into the EU under our EU passports, we can move freely among EU countries, and only have to clear out if we are heading to a non EU country?

We're off to the Med for survey and sea trials this weekend...

There is no connection between flag and VAT status. Flag the boat anywhere you want.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 02:23   #317
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_1611 View Post
<snip>

I have heard in Greece you have to clear in at every single harbour/port/marina on arrival regardless of how long you have been in country - needs to be confirmed but if true it sounds like a nightmare.
Sorry, that's nonsense. I suggest you read Greece | JimB Sail for the facts.

Quote:
One thing to consider is that if you are going to be in country for less than 30 days you need to report your presence, this is normally done by hotels when you arrive but if you are coming in by boat you will need to do this yourself - basically clearing in I suppose. If you plan to be in country for more than 30 days you have to register with the authorities as you may be considered to be resident and not just visiting. This does not affect your right to stay in any EU member state but you may need prove of ability to support yourself, residence etc.
Some countries (Spain an example) require that any EU citizen who stays longer than 90 days should register. This is for the purpose of tracking entitlements to host state benefits. Most other EU countries advise that this should be done if you intend to take up residence. There's no way of tracking such stays within the EU, and certainly none within Schengen.

This time, I suggest you read Time Abroad | JimB Sail for the (slightly simplified) facts.

JimB
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 04:05   #318

Greece is changing the laws at the moment so that you do not have to report to port police when you arrive at every port except for your first entry port. Most non_EU sailors went through the tedious process of getting a transit log and then going to the port police whenever they came to you. Most villages don'have port police. We went to 3-4 port police in 3 months sailing.
Now this is changing and it' s not clear what exactly will happen. I think when you arrive in Greece you will pay a hefty fee (400 euros for less than 12 metres, 800 and more on a sliding scale for boats more than 12m)…after that, you might not have to do anything. In June this year it was the old way There is still some confusion about how this will work and so it might be a bit of the old scheme and a bit of the new.. SSomeone in Greece now might know where it' s up to at the moment. The rules for EU citizens might be different
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 10:15   #319
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
Someone in Greece now might know where it' s up to at the moment.
The Cruising Association (CA) is in regular communication with the Greek Ministry responsible. The current situation is as reported on JimBsail.info site above. If/when a cruising tax is imposed or there is any further information, the CA will issue a press release giving details.

Meanwhile, to keep boating visitors up to date, the Greek authorities have published this: http://www.yachting.yen.gr/en/

JimB
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail