Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2014, 07:10   #136
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Should A Non Eu Boat Sail Across The Atlantic To Sail The Med

Unless I see someone coming on CF, stating as cruisers they managed to get some form of extended visa in an EU country, I like to disabuse people of the notion.

I was involved in helping two people ( not cruisers ) to get these types of visas.

Im my experience these visas are either for study ( including cultural studies ) or work and typically require residency and financial independence. The assumption is you will the time in the country of question.

They are not " extended tourist visas ". There is really no such thing

Note that claiming and stating residency in a EU for longer then 180 days CAN make you established , poof goes your vat relief. !

These visas are simply NOT a means to circumvent the Schengen tourist visa system.

Dave
Old 23-06-2014, 07:43   #137

Boat: Able 50
Re: Should A Non Eu Boat Sail Across The Atlantic To Sail The Med

On the subject of marina fees, a winter stay in Fenit will be likely to cost 700 - 1000 Euro. 250 anywhere is pretty optimistic.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 07:57   #138
Nearly an old salt

Should A Non Eu Boat Sail Across The Atlantic To Sail The Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
On the subject of marina fees, a winter stay in Fenit will be likely to cost 700 - 1000 Euro. 250 anywhere is pretty optimistic.

Winter stay in Waterford Marina is 350 euro for the winter upto to 13.7 metres ( 45 feet ) , right in the heart of the 4th largest city, shops , supermarkets , train station, airport

Warmest weather on the island.

Why go and winter In the SW , godawful ( great in summer best place )

Dave
Old 23-06-2014, 08:50   #139

Boat: Able 50

You wouldn't want to stay aboard in Fenit. The transport around there stinks. Buses to Tralee only run on Fridays.

That is just a place to fly home from. Kerry airport is close by and offers flights to Dublin and Frankfurt. One of those two should suit everyone.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 09:53   #140

The FBI has online information on requesting a background check. Seems pretty easy and it should be fast. FBI — Identity History Summary Checks

The link mentions private companies that will also perform the check which one would think would be quicker but cost money.

In NC, you can go to the court house, and some sheriff offices, and look up criminal histories on anyone, including yourself, which can then be printed out. Not sure if the sheriff provides a piece of paper stating one has no criminal history but they might. A check on the county sheriff's website will have the answer, and if not, the phone number to call to ask.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 10:04   #141

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Unless I see someone coming on CF, stating as cruisers they managed to get some form of extended visa in an EU country, I like to disabuse people of the notion.

I was involved in helping two people ( not cruisers ) to get these types of visas.

Im my experience these visas are either for study ( including cultural studies ) or work and typically require residency and financial independence. The assumption is you will the time in the country of question.

Note that claiming and stating residency in a EU for longer then 180 days CAN make you established , poof goes your vat relief. !

These visas are simply NOT a means to circumvent the Schengen tourist visa system.

Dave
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1551490
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 10:07   #142
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Leaving aside NZers and Australians, who have specific bilateral arrangements.

dave
Old 23-06-2014, 12:33   #143
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
You could overwinter in the heart of Dublin for that type of money.

In smaller marinas in Ireland for the winter I say 250 for 6 months might be enough !!

Dave
Yes, based on the published rate sheets, for my boat in the water over winter in Fenit looks like about €800 vs € 385 in Waterford. But if I read the rate sheet for Fenit correctly it looks like € 35/month winter storage out of the water. Of course that would entail a haul out fee which I didn't see listed on the sheet. Even if the haul is a couple hundred € or so that's still comparable to Waterford. That issue of course begs another question, whether it's better to leave the boat in or out of the water.

All relates to another possible plan to deal with the Schengen 90. Spend my 90 days, then to Ireland and the UK until it gets too cold, leave the boat in Ireland and fly back to the US until spring. Fly back and do some more Ireland/Uk and have another 90 days in Schengen.

I'm limited to researching on the internet while you're dealing with your own back yard. So any other suggestions appreciated. Would love to find the 250 rate. I was never that good at math but I'm pretty sure that 250 is better than 385 and certainly better than 800 when it's an outgoing expenditure.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 12:58   #144
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
I'm limited to researching on the internet while you're dealing with your own back yard. So any other suggestions appreciated. Would love to find the 250 rate. I was never that good at math but I'm pretty sure that 250 is better than 385 and certainly better than 800 when it's an outgoing expenditure.
If you were prepared to take the mast down, you could winter in the heart of Dublin for about 50 euros, according to a barge friend of mine!

Wintering on the south coast of Ireland or the UK ( which is much more expensive) is not too difficult, Temperatures rarely go much below freezing and typically only for short times. Condensation is the main enemy of liveaboards. The rain in the early spring, can be a bit dispiriting . Being close to a major urban centre is a must in my view.

The main issue is that getting to ireland , from the med, is a hike , with the winds often on the nose. Getting from Northern Europe is a little easier, though not much, South Coast of the UK is a "little" easier.

personally if you are flying home anyway, why not do 90 days europe, 90 days Ireland/UK the another 90days Europe ( say spring to autumn) put boat on the hard ( in europe) then fly home for the winter , come back following spring do it again !
dave
Old 23-06-2014, 12:59   #145
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:

The web site of the Consulate General of France seems to say there is such a thing, at least in theory. Copied from the web site:

Long stay visa for non professional purpose "visitor visa"

You may apply for this long stay visa or "visitor visa" if you intend to settle in France (for example as a retiree) and live there more than 90 days per semester.
CAUTION: this visa DOES NOT allow you to work in France. As a consequence, the proof of sufficient funds and assets to support your stay in France without working for more than a year will be crucial to qualify you for this visa.
If granted, the visa issued is valid as a "Long Stay as Resident Card visa" for a maximum of one year.
The visa in your passport will also be your permanent resident card for France for the whole first year.
Should you then wish to stay more than a year in France, you will then have to contact the French local state authorities ("Préfecture") to apply for an extension of your stay by a permanent resident card ("Carte de Séjour") separate from your passport.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 13:10   #146
Nearly an old salt

I didn't say they didn't exist, I said that for cruisers they were very difficult to get, so as to render them useless.

For example in france, you will need a lease on an apartment or a home you own etc. You may also then classed as a resident and hence become EU "established". Visas do not assume that you might have a $500,000 asset in tow !!!!

dave
Old 23-06-2014, 13:27   #147

Boat: Various

Quote:
I didn't say they didn't exist, I said that for cruisers they were very difficult to get, so as to render them useless.

For example in france, you will need a lease on an apartment or a home you own etc. You may also then classed as a resident and hence become EU "established". Visas do not assume that you might have a $500,000 asset in tow !!!!

dave
They do make you jump through some hoops, but in talking to several Consulates, surprisingly France has seemed the most cooperative. I was told by the Consulate (but this doesn't make it official by any means) that lease of a boat slip would meet the "apartment" requirements. But who knows if that would hold true of it was simply the price of the slip we were discussing.

Regardless, I might try for a longer visa but I wouldn't depend on it. I'd plan as if one was not forthcoming.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 13:35   #148
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Regardless, I might try for a longer visa but I wouldn't depend on it. I'd plan as if one was not forthcoming.

go for it , you'll be one of the first?

PS: you might let me know where you find an annual lease, that doesn't cost a kings ransom

dave
Old 23-06-2014, 13:51   #149

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Seem to remember Port Solent doing a deal for £600 from 1 Nov to 31 Mar winter rate, these rates tend to be advertised in the Autumn when then realise they will have an empty marina. There standard rate for South Coast UK is:

https://www.premiermarinas.com/marin...inter-berthing

cheaper in the Channel Islands might be:

http://www.guernseyharbours.gov.gg/C...x?id=87379&p=0
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 14:02   #150

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Quote:
Winter stay in Waterford Marina is 350 euro for the winter upto to 13.7 metres ( 45 feet ) , right in the heart of the 4th largest city, shops , supermarkets , train station, airport

Warmest weather on the island.

Why go and winter In the SW , godawful ( great in summer best place )

Dave
This sounds very interesting.
I like the idea of being near the center of a city with access to other places and airport.

I will email them.

What about Dublin?
Maybe too big?

Richard

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail