Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2015, 12:00   #1

Boat: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
Short handed 'line ashore' anchoring

Hi, this is my first post as a 'new forum member'.
I have been sailing for 20+ years as a share owner in the Ionian and have just purchased a 'whole boat' to spend more time in the area.
We intend to spend more time away from the 'town quays', as lovely as they are, at anchore with a line ashore, not a problem when we have a competent crew to assist, but I would like to master the art of carrying out this manoeuvre for all intent and purpose, single handed.
My wife is not particularly confident so I need to develop a system where I can do it single handed.
Does anyone have any practical advice? That is apart from the obvious, don't try it in the first place!
Our new boat is a Bavaria 38 Cruiser and I am experienced in the normal handling of similar vessels.
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation.
Nick Boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:09   #2

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
Re: Short handed 'line ashore' anchoring

As this manoeuvre performed singlehandedly will always be a difficult one I have this throwing anchor on board:

Snapanchor releasing anchor and grappel hook

It is designed to be employed in the opened position and can be retrieved from the boat by just pulling on a line which folds the anchor's flukes. Good luck!
Old 07-12-2015, 12:21   #3

Boat: Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Roger
Thanks, that certainly looks an interesting option which I will look into.
It's one of those situations where you don't want anyone on the shore to catch your line, it could do them some damage!
Kind regards
Nick
Nick Boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:53   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I see El Pinguino is looking at this thread. He has spent a lot of time in Chile and Magellan's Passage. He is a retired sea man. Pay attention to what he writes, more than me. I'd anchor securely, then take the line ashore in the dinghy.

Ann
Old 07-12-2015, 13:59   #5

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

No need for fancy tools.
Just throw a small grapnel anchor ashore with a light line for temporary anchoring. There is typically not much wind in the ionian so no need to hurry too much or use a big line/anchor.
Once you are lying ok just swim to shore with the big line and some chain to wrap around a tree or rock.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:08   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Nick.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:42   #7

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Of course, you could find out why your wife does not feel confident and spend some time addressing this so she does feel more confident. You could also discover where she feels most confident and use that strength to your advantage. A happy sailor is one who feels their captain is confident in them. This is often addressed by the captain, as it is the captains responsibility to make sure the crew has the knowledge they need to get the job done.

Good luck to you.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:08   #8

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Anchoring in the Ioanian islands during summer is backing into tight quarters, often between other yachts, sometimes just a meter or two from underwater rocks.

My wife also doesn't like to take over the helm in these situations.

For us the small grapnel anchor was the better solution.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:22   #9

Boat: Outbound 44

Struggling with similar situation for our trip south to Chile (2017) double handed. We plan to practice this year before leaving - and expect to follow this basic process:
1. Hang dingy on halyard, ready for deployment
2. Drop and set anchor
3. Reverse to maintain set and have Admiral hold boat in reverse
4. Launch dingy and board
5. Tie shoreline around waist and row to shore (Outboards no good in Chile due to kelp)
6. Wrap shorefast loop (wire or chain) around rock or tree
7. Return to boat and take in slack
8. Repeat for as many shorefasts as required.

Apparently it all gets a little tricky if the anchor starts to drag!!
Outbound 44 #27
Bill Balme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:34   #10

If you are anchoring and then taking a line ashore this is classic European stern-to technique. You need to practice with lots of dock space. The classic system is to run parallel to the dock. Go slightly beyond the place where you want to dock. Let the anchor out. Snub the line and make it fast. This will swing the stern towards the dock. Put the engine in reverse and head towards the doc. You will need to let out more ashore line as you reverse. Use a boat hook with a buoy attachment to attach the stern line to a cleat. Go slowly and you will have time to do it one your own. You need to anticipate which way your prop walk works to determine if you approach port or starboard side to dock. Obviously wind and current need to be calculated. At first it is stressful but it half after dozen attempts you will get used to it.
peterbeale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:07   #11

Boat: Jenneau 45

Hi
I/we do this all the time. It is really satisfying.
All the advice you have received is good.

Make sure you have two lengths of chain (not to heavy) approx1.5 Metre long with snap shackles. You will find them very useful.

If your wife likes swimming it should be no problem to encourage her to take the line ashore and attach to a rock or tree that you have identified on a trial run, watching the bottom as you go in.

Go back out, reverse in whilst anchoring and when you reach the spot take the line/chain with a fender attached to the rock or tree. Make sure you have plenty of line. Whilst the line is being taken you can gently reverse against the anchor to control the boat.

Once the first line is on the second can be done at ease.

If you have to do it singlehanded; Anchor and reverse in as above without taking the lines ashore. Let the boat swing free. Take the line ashore attach to shore and then return towards where you think the boat will lie when finally moored, paying out the line, now with a fender tied to its end and drop over the dinghy.

Return to boat and reverse up to fender and pick up.

Sounds involved but when you have done it a few times it's quite easy. Practice when no body is around.

The bay's to the N of Messalongi and E side of Ithika are perfect fit it.

Enjoy your boat.

Ray
SY Josephine.
Raythesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:46   #12

Boat: Jenneau 45

PS To above.
A few further thoughts. Do not consider swimming ashore bare foot. Buy some inexpensive swimming shoes or sandals.

When laying your anchor start early and lay plenty of chain. You will often start your run in a depth of 15/20 metre and only start to shallow out close to shore.
Dropping in 15 metre and reversing at say 1.5 kn it will take some time for your hook to reach the bottom and bite.

It's not rocket science, practice and enjoy.
Raythesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:51   #13

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey DS43

Taking a line ashore can be done single handed but realistically it's much safer to be the two of you involved where your wife will essentially keep the ship position when she is in the desired position. I always get fully ready and dive to shore with the mooring line and a ty up line for around a rock. We use the genoa winches to adjust the mooring lines length and final boat position before kleating. Use of the dinghy proved to be hell for us!
Little coordination will do it, good luck
Chalifour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:21   #14

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
I see El Pinguino is looking at this thread. .......

Ann
Is he indeed

What I would do... (this assumes its not blowing a full gale and I am also assuming you are anchoring quite close in)...

Use polyprop as a shore line...it floats.
Idealy you will have 'closed cleats' that you can feed the line through.
Have your dinghy in the water ready to go...flake down enough rope in the bottom of the dinghy to reach the shore and then some ( don't want to run out half way to shore... ).... secure the rope aboard your yacht.... put a big bowline in the shorebound end
Drop anchor... back up towards shore... when enough chain out hop into dinghy and row vigourously(sp) shorewards.
Tie dinghy painter to your belt and place bowline over your shoulders.... this leaves your hands free for other stuff.
Step ashore, secure line to tree or whatever.
Politely ask wife to take up slack from on board. Row back to yacht.

Job done, pour rum.
Old 08-12-2015, 17:53   #15
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by multihullsailor6 View Post
As this manoeuvre performed singlehandedly will always be a difficult one I have this throwing anchor on board:

Snapanchor releasing anchor and grappel hook

It is designed to be employed in the opened position and can be retrieved from the boat by just pulling on a line which folds the anchor's flukes. Good luck!
has anybody here used one of these SnapAnchors?

Tags
anchor, anchoring