Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2011, 07:29   #1
YOG

Boat: Bristol 40
Seeking newest tips on sailing back & forth among Turkish & Greek islands

Hello sailors,

What are the easiest islands to visit, document-wise, from one side of the border to the other? Especially up on the way to Istanbul?
It would be nice to be able to slip from island to island/shore without too much officiousness.

The boat's 13.6 m long an
d has a 2.6 m draft.

I've been reading bits and pieces in other threads but would love some concrete information. Any tips, advice, and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
YOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 08:09   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Seeking newest tips on sailing back & forth among Turkish & Greek islands

Well.... the only times I had to produce Doc's in Greece were at Corinth and Khalis... to pay passage fees... the rest of the time I was anchoring and no had no hassle...
Anchoring/landing on the 3 Turkish Islands near the mouth of the Cannakalle is not encouraged... but I anchored all the way up to the Marmara and only had to produce Doc's when I went into the Marina at Pendik... just past Istanbul.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 16:31   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: Seeking newest tips on sailing back & forth among Turkish & Greek islands

Hi YOG,

This depends very much on which islands in Greece and which ports in Turkey you plan to visit w/out proper documentation. I sailed to Greek islands (dodocanese) several times w/out checking in officially. Nothing happened 9 times out of 10, but I was cought once by coast guard in Simi with my 44 ft turkish flag cat. They invited me to the police station where I paid 8-9 € and asked me to go through custom procedure. I did it and it was OK. Greece cost guard are far less patrolling over the last couple of years (economical crisis ??) and you should be OK unless you go to main ports. The same is pretty much valid for turkish side. Actually, Turkish side is a lot easier, as there are many restaurant jetties off the beaten track where you can get water and electricity. If you are cought, the legislation both in Greece and Turkey is very vague and everything will depend on the officier who gets you: the best is a smile and "pls leave", the worst your boat is confiscated.

Overall, if all of yr papers are OK you shouldn't have too much trouble going up to Istanbul without missing interesting spot on both side and w/out having to check in and out every time.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 16:46   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Seeking newest tips on sailing back & forth among Turkish & Greek islands

Yeola....
Come on man.. what did you expect... Turkish flag in Greek waters...
Thats like a UK flag in French waters.... an open invitation for hassle...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 20-03-2011, 17:01   #5
YOG

Thanks to you both - still researching.

But what is the 'proper documentation/papers' you refer to, Yeloya, do you mean this mysterious ICC document? Visas? Registration, pilot lisences? What do they really want to see or is it something new everytime, depending on the officer?

Boatman61, Good tips re. anchoring near Canakalle. Thanks.
Old 20-03-2011, 17:20   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

How near... by the entrance on the southern approach side theres a nice sand bar about 1/2 mile wide from shore to drop off... from Yenikoy on... depth 3-5 metres thats well sheltered from the predominant NE'ly...
If coming from the W cut through between Rabbit Island and the two islets just south... you can edge up to shore and good holding and shelter near the E side... don't go to far as it shoals fast and you could hit bottom.
When you leave head S till at least a 1/4 mile of before turning E to head across to Canakalle.
As for Doc's
Passport.
Insurance
Boats papers
Skippers papers
VHF licence

Old 20-03-2011, 17:24   #7
YOG

ok so the usual docs, no worries then.

Sounds like you have made that sail often, Boatman61!

Keep the great advice coming, it's extremely helpful.

Cheers!
Old 20-03-2011, 17:39   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Pottered round a little... but not Southern Turkey

Old 20-03-2011, 17:41   #9
YOG

Sounds like you'd better get down there - it's stunning! Been there overland, with some little day-trips on a Gul (I think that's what they're called - little local boats).
Old 21-03-2011, 04:02   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Yeola....
Come on man.. what did you expect... Turkish flag in Greek waters...
Thats like a UK flag in French waters.... an open invitation for hassle...

Strangely, Boatman - it is rather opposite.
Greek islands are at most open to welcome Turkish flagged boats. Greek flagged boats has more hassle on opposite side... May be it has something to do with protecting local charter market - I don't know. But as Yeola said - a lot depends on places. Turkish transit log is - as far as I understand - valid only as long, as You don't leave Turkish waters. So better to avoid the papers to be stamped on Greek islands...
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 04:03   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOG View Post
It would be nice to be able to slip from island to island/shore without too much officiousness.

The boat's 13.6 m long and has a 2.6 m draft.
And what is the flag of the boat?
Old 21-03-2011, 05:09   #12
YOG

DoubleWhiskey -

There are now 2 boats in question, which will make the sail to Istanbul.

One is leased from Croatia for the summer.

The other has a Canadian flag.
Old 21-03-2011, 05:27   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So You will need a Turkish transit log and Greek transit log...
Obtainable through reputable agents in recognized ports of entry...
Legal way You do know...
Convenient way... See Yeloya answer...
To Greek harbour You should always come from another Greek harbour...
To Greek harbour with a Port Police station better to come from Greek harbour without port police station...
From Greek harbour with a Port Police Station better to leave for Greek harbour without port police station...
There are anchorages to be used as intermediary places... Jetties at tavernas... So on...
The same for opposite side...
Check the pilot books...
Have a notes of Your "paralell itineraries"... Just to not make a mistakes...
In the small places almost nobody almost never ask You a questions...
And have an "obvious reason" for emergency entering the harbour at hand... Broken bottle screw of the kind You have in standing rigging or clogged up fuel filter will do...
You just replaced it... Just in a case...

Of course - convenient way can always be a little risky way...
You now - all funny things are either immoral or illegal or fattening...
Old 21-03-2011, 14:25   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

İnteresting discussion.. I agree with all other comments. Couple of more comment;

-even "obvious reason" sometimes is rejected.. When I was cought in Simi, I said to the cost guard that my propeller was fauled (and it was, I was in the water trying to get rid of the ropes..) , he simply smiled and said "yes I know but pls follow me.."
-the biggest problem to sail "illegally" in some waters is the insurance.. If someone hits you or something happens to yr boat in greek or turkish water while you are not authorized to be there, you will have hard time to explain it to the insurqance company. I would strongly suggest that you don't do it with leased or chartered boat.
-Turkish flag in greek waters is exremely welcome at least over the last two years. In simi 9 tables out of 10 in tavernas are occupied by turks and spend good amount of money. The tourism Business is not doing at all good in the islands, maybe they still don't like us, but truly appreciate the money we spend there..
-I was never asked to show VHF or skipper licence. But the insurance is key and you must have the ORIGINAL form. Charter companies usually doesn't give the original. One charter boat was confiscated several weeks because the insureance was not original..
-All what I was saying is valid up to Samos height. I did only twice İstanbul to Marmaris and I was told that in northern greek islands the cost guards are much more serious, so I didn't try..
-Dardanel is a very challenging strait and don't ever attempt to do it by night. (I did it and will never do it again) There is a very strong currents from Marmara to Aegean Sea up to 2-3 knts in some places + very heavy traffic of mega tankers..
-Boacaada in the entrance of the strait and Ayvalık are definately worth a day to visit.
-In Marmara sea up to İtsanbul there aren' really very interesting place to visit. As you cannot make up to İstanbul in one step, there are two possible anchorage: first on the northern cost a place called Mürefte (small marina, a restaurant, water available, fuel I am not sure) or Marmara island in the south. Here also you have a small fisherman harbour, not very nice, couple of restaurants, water and possible fuel as well. The prevailing winds will be from north east usually around 10-15 knots in summer.
-The only place worth visiting in Marmara is the prince islands south east of Istanbul.
Boshorus is obviously beatiful but because of very strong currents, no place to anchor or marina is making this area less attractive. (İt is strictly forbidden to sail in Boshorus and Dardanel straits. It is somewhat tolerated in Dardanel but never in Bosphorus
You may even consider leaving the boat in Bozcaada, take a ferry + bus to İstanbul.

Good luck

Yeloya

-
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 15:23   #15

Boat: Bavaria 37

To complete : 2 magic words
- good morning in greeek is "Kali Mera", "Kali Spera"...
- good morning in turkish is "Meraba"...
If you do the mistake (the wrong word in the wrong country) It happens !), usually the policeman will laugh !
It is my way to say that sailing from turkey to Greece and vice vera is very easy if you respect people of each country .
Maybe the respect begins with respecting the laws of each country and for example having a transit log for each country ...
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
greek islands, sailing