Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 03:29   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Schengen Agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
you can get your visa extended in a schengen area I have never had any probs into doing so 2009 spent 154 days 2010/167 days 2011/114 days correctly you must apply at the visiting countries embassy of your home country ie as a aussie i should apply at the Greek embassy in Melbourne Australia but as i live part time in uk i go to the local police and apply 14 days before my current visa finishes i have never had a prob doing so .

and i now believe technically the schengen treaty is invalid due to the Italians letting in Nth Africans and handing them free travel docs and if i am correct France, Belgium , and one other European country has closed there borders because of the Italians
There is no extension to a Schengen Tourist Visa. NONE nada. If you come in on a differnt Visa, then individual countries have specific extensions. These extensions ONLY apply to the extending country. ie Spain cannot extend a French visa. As I mentioned SOME EU countries have specific bi-lateral agreements with Australia, but this doesnt affect the Schengen Visa

Quote:
but as i live part time in uk
Thats the point your not here on a tourist VISA.

This is why huge confusion exists, people put forward specific situations that apply to them as a general situation.

Quote:
and i now believe technically the schengen treaty is invalid
You can beleive what you like, its EU law,and the French trying a fast one, was rapidly shot down by the EU Commission that threatened to sue france. WHat was agreed was joint Italian French Monitoring. ( The passport check near Menton went away fast anyway), France broke the Schengen rules, doesnt mean its invalid, no more then when you break the speed limit rules.!!
Old 11-11-2011, 04:25   #17
jzk

Hey well this ought to all correct itself very soon when Germany, Greece and Italy all leave the EU (for different reasons, of course).....
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:34   #18

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
Hey well this ought to all correct itself very soon when Germany, Greece and Italy all leave the EU (for different reasons, of course).....
Some of us hope so.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:41   #19
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Some of us hope so.

Judy
The ironic side-effect to those countries leaving the EU is that the "strong" countries like Germany will have strong currencies and be undesirable for tourists while the weak countries like Greece will have weak currencies making it more desirable for tourism (and exports).
Old 11-11-2011, 04:57   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Schengen Agreement

Quote:
The ironic side-effect to those countries leaving the EU is that the "strong" countries like Germany will have strong currencies and be undesirable for tourists while the weak countries like Greece will have weak currencies making it more desirable for tourism (and exports).
How many want to sail as far N as Germany.... and as for Greece's cheap exports...
What....?? Hummus....??
Take away the tourists and cruisers and they're screwed....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:25   #21
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
... as for Greece's cheap exports...
Yes, ironic that Germany's exports will be stifled while the country that has made the biggest mess of itself will have a great export environment with no exports to export.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:36   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Schengen Agreement

Quote:
Yes, ironic that Germany's exports will be stifled while the country that has made the biggest mess of itself will have a great export environment with no exports to export.
Yup.... they talked their civilization to death... looks like they'll do the same to the EU...
I see Berlusconi has got the fiddle out as well in Rome....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:46   #23

Boat: Cabo Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannw View Post

If you don't like it there is a simple solution ... go back home! Really! It isn't hard.
Are you like this in real life or just on the web?
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:53   #24

It is possible that Greece Italy etc - the PIIGS - will be out of the Euro currency but still in the European Union. The Schengen could remain . Thanks for the info all
Old 11-11-2011, 07:13   #25

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

One solution become a New Zealand citizen. As a New Zealander you get 90 days in each of 17 of the Schengen countries irrespective of the time spent in any Schengen area. the only downfall is that you cannot travel to any of the counties not included in the list of 17 after spending more than the prescibed 90 days.

This exemption is not available to citizens of any other country.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:46   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdon View Post
One solution become a New Zealand citizen. As a New Zealander you get 90 days in each of 17 of the Schengen countries irrespective of the time spent in any Schengen area. .
Mex...Can you put in a good word for me?
Old 11-11-2011, 07:52   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Sometimes going directly to the source also help...
Schengen Visa

Or an alternative source....
http://www.eurovisa.info/

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:24   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

For those planning an extended visit to the US it may be useful to go through all the red tape and get your initial vias and then fly over for a week or so. Then return home.

returning home is positive proof that you will return home and the application for the next visa will go much smoother. You can get a 5 year multiple entry visa and cruise till your single visit limit is about to expire then hop over to Canada or Mexico or ... and restart the clock. (By hop I mean take your boat or perhaps drive over the boarder).

It took me 2 years, 4 letters from my congressmen and more than one trip to Kiev to get the initial visa for my mother and father inlaw. The second application took a few weeks and the Embassy offered the 5 year visa.

Regards, Ethan
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:26   #29
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannw View Post
US passport holders do not require a visa for stays of up to 90 days in a 180 day period.

Longer than that and you are not a tourist ... you are a long stay visitor and you will need to apply for a suitable visa.
+1

Or marry a local - all offers considered
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 14:13   #30

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post

As for swagman's comment about Spain/Turkey east/west in 7 days -- west to east probably not a bad trip, although doing it in winter months will be a rough passage. But east to west for 1400 NM hard on the wind will not be a pleasant passage regardless of which month one ends up having to do it to meet that 90-days-in and 90-days-out requirement.

We had hoped to cruise the Med for several years. But with Turkey, Cyprus, Tunisia and Morocco soon to be the only "out" options this will prove difficult to do with much enjoyment. Face it; the EU countries do not want American sailors regardless of how much money might be spent in over-crowded marinas and tourism.

Judy
Hi Judy,
My point is you don't have to travel the complete length of the Med, unless of course you want to. To my knowledge you could visit Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Lebanon, (let's leave out Syria for now but they've a fine facility at Lattakia), Cyprus, Turkey, Croatia, Montenegro. Each of those is not more than 200 miles from a landfall in the Schengen Zone and it certainly would not be hard to plan a five year cruise moving in and out as required.
Enjoy
John