Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-11-2011, 03:47   #61
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Schengen Agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewrye View Post
Maybe Dave or someone else could give my wife and I an idea what type of visa we could apply for before we pick up our new boat in France. We will pick it up upon completion in June 2013. We are fine with the 90 days on a tourist visa as far as sea trials and complete the out fitting of the boat but will have to stay longer to await the end of the hurricane season to make the cross over. As this is a new boat I'm wondering if there is some type of educational visa or boat related visa that someone might know of so we can stay longer than 90 days. I know we could leave for Africa and may do that if the hurricane season in 2013 is longer than normal but we would love to stay in the EU for about 180 days if possible.
Thanks for any ideas
N or S France....??

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 03:52   #62
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewrye
Maybe Dave or someone else could give my wife and I an idea what type of visa we could apply for before we pick up our new boat in France. We will pick it up upon completion in June 2013. We are fine with the 90 days on a tourist visa as far as sea trials and complete the out fitting of the boat but will have to stay longer to await the end of the hurricane season to make the cross over. As this is a new boat I'm wondering if there is some type of educational visa or boat related visa that someone might know of so we can stay longer than 90 days. I know we could leave for Africa and may do that if the hurricane season in 2013 is longer than normal but we would love to stay in the EU for about 180 days if possible.
Thanks for any ideas
As far as an extended Europe wide visa is concerned, there are no extensions.

You might investigate individual country long stay Visas France does have one valid for upto a year ( visa de long sejour). This is available to any person, there are a number of rules re financial support and medical insurance. Ie basically you cannot become a burden to the French state. It doesn't require any other commitments ( like study visas)

You apply through your nearest French consulate it cannot be done in France.

Then you can use the shengen 90 days to visit other Schengen area countries. But you would be based in France ( oh my what a hardship !!!) be careful not to become a tax resident as that would affect your ability to export the boat VAT free.

Dave

Old 15-11-2011, 08:42   #63

Boat: Boereal 44
Re: Schengen Agreement

Thanks Dave, That may work out just fine, we would qualify on finance and health insurance. That would give us a chance to sail up to Sweden and back through W. Scotland hold up in S. France before leaving further south to await the end of hurricane season.

Boatman61, Northern France, Bienvenue chez Boreal
Beautiful area, wonderful people, challenging sailing to break in a new boat.
Old 15-11-2011, 17:25   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
No it will not reset the time. Once you use up 90 days you must leave for a further 90 days.
Thanks
Old 15-11-2011, 17:56   #65
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Schengen Agreement

Dave basically said it all....

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 01:44   #66

Location: from Houston, TX; currently berthed in Barcelona, headed west
Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
There must be some way around the Schengen visa limit. I'm sure George Clooney doesn't have to leave his house on Lake Como every 90 days.

Yea, yea I know the rules never apply to the rich and famous but still I'm sure even George has to get his passport stamped and do some sort of paperwork.

Anyone know George and can ask him?

No, seriously. Anyone have a contact drop him an email.
Your answer is in your first paragraph. "His house on Lake Como." That qualifies him for a long-stay visa for that country. Or a resident visa for that country. But has nothing to do with travel throughout the entire Schengen Treaty countries.

I think the best info in this thread was the comment about checking in and out at smaller ports and to avoid airports.

Judy
Old 16-11-2011, 12:13   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Your answer is in your first paragraph. "His house on Lake Como." That qualifies him for a long-stay visa for that country. Or a resident visa for that country. But has nothing to do with travel throughout the entire Schengen Treaty countries.
Had not thought about the resident visa aspect of owning property but that guess that would solve the question, but yes, from what I understand it would not relate to the Schengen issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
I think the best info in this thread was the comment about checking in and out at smaller ports and to avoid airports.

Judy
I have to admit that I have thought about this idea and it is certainly tempting but, considering I would be there on my boat which would be a really easy target if I popped up over the radar and attracted the ire of the local authorities I don't think this is an option. Would rather find a proper, legal solution than take the risk of fines or confiscation or at least eviction and a black mark.
Old 16-11-2011, 19:19   #68
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I have to admit that I have thought about this idea and it is certainly tempting but, considering I would be there on my boat which would be a really easy target if I popped up over the radar and attracted the ire of the local authorities I don't think this is an option. Would rather find a proper, legal solution than take the risk of fines or confiscation or at least eviction and a black mark.
Unfortunately if you want to move from Schengen country to Schengen country for more then 90 days there really isnt a legal solution, which is what leads to people taking a risk.

Dave
Old 16-11-2011, 20:15   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Unfortunately if you want to move from Schengen country to Schengen country for more then 90 days there really isn't a legal solution, which is what leads to people taking a risk.

Dave
Hi Dave,

Went back and read your previous post about the long stay visa for France and possibly other countries. That seems like the only legal solution for a cruiser that wants to see Europe and avoid the burden of ducking out to North Africa or Croatia or some other non Schengen area every three months. But one detail that is not clear.

Since France is a Schengen country if you started your time in France but with the long stay visa, does that stop the Schengen clock and let you later go use your 90 Schengen days elsewhere or would you have to use your 90 Schengen days first in other countries and then move to France on the long stay visa?

And would that mean that staying in France under the long term visa after using up the 90 Schengen days elsewhere would count for the 90 days you have to spend outside the Schengen countries to reset the clock?

From these questions you can tell that you are now the designated Schengen expert on the forum.
Old 17-11-2011, 01:58   #70
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you have a long stay visa then the Schengen 90 day clock stops everytime you return to that country. So taking the French case you can visit other Schengen countries for a total of 90 days in 180. ( ie one 90 day trip or multiple smaller trips

When you consume the 90 days, you will have to return to France for the remaining 90 days. Essentially France becomes your home country.

Dave
Old 17-11-2011, 04:14   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
If you have a long stay visa then the Schengen 90 day clock stops everytime you return to that country. So taking the French case you can visit other Schengen countries for a total of 90 days in 180. ( ie one 90 day trip or multiple smaller trips

When you consume the 90 days, you will have to return to France for the remaining 90 days. Essentially France becomes your home country.

Dave
Thanks Dave. Think I am starting to see a plan for an EU cruise. Just have to put up with the "hardship" of spending more time in France.
Old 17-11-2011, 04:24   #72

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I spent 12 years in Europe (until 3 years ago), with annual trips home by air. I didn't have any problems.

You will find it very difficult to obey every detail of the immigration laws, and will be very constrained in your travel if you do.

OTOH if you completely ignore the laws there is a good chance you will get caught, and possibly fined and deported.

The answer is to learn where the enforcement is a problem, and where it isn't, and where there are legal options. The situation is changing, and becoming more difficult both due to stricter enforcement and more nations joining the EU. But there is still room to maneuver, and the best way to learn is to ask those currently in the marinas in the Med for their experiences.

My information is dated, but possibly useful. In addition to the African and Mid-Eastern states, ex-Yugoslavia (save Slovenia), and Turkey, there is always Gibraltar. That provides plenty of interesting and legal places to winter. I wintered in Italy 3 winters with no problem; I was asked once by the CG but they shrugged it off. On another occasion a kiwi was silly enough to go to immigration after overstaying and asked for a residency permit; that brought some unwanted attention but in the end nothing happened (other than a distinct loss in popularity for him in the marina). I spent 4 years in Turkey, with a day trip to Greece every three months to renew the visa (and buy cheaper alcohol). I also spent a winter in Gibraltar. So I don't see any problem with wintering as long as a little research is done. In practice the biggest problem for wintering is Greece but even that is possible.

Sailing through the Mediterranean EU in the summer shouldn't be a problem either, particularly if a trip to Croatia/Montenegro is included. The major concern there is Greece (again), which has been very strict for a very long time: they like their fines. So if eastbound be certain to have the passports stamped when returning to the EU and then check out of Greece within 90 days without fail. Missing the Dalmatian Coast would be a crime anyway. And Turkey is a real treat so don't be reluctant to move along.

Good luck
Old 17-11-2011, 04:53   #73

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
Yes, ironic that Germany's exports will be stifled while the country that has made the biggest mess of itself will have a great export environment with no exports to export.
Tourism is an export.

The smartest thing the Greeks could do would be leave the Euro, resurrect the Drachma, devalue and watch as the bargain hunting tourists flood in.
Old 17-11-2011, 05:14   #74
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Tourism is an export.

The smartest thing the Greeks could do would be leave the Euro, resurrect the Drachma, devalue and watch as the bargain hunting tourists flood in.
Short term (1 day!) would be good. After that the Greeks would be in trouble due to negative cashflow.......and whilst I am sure plenty of banks would lend to them in Drachma (do they ever learn ) I doubt if they would do so on the scale needed.

FWIW although I am somewhat of a Nationalist (although slightly hampered on that by being from the UK - IMO nowadays not worth fighting for - but that's another thread / forum ).....

........But nonetheless I am greatly in favour of the EU concept (including the Euro)......and however much money (and pain) it costs a lot cheaper than another war. The US has just spent a Trillion dollars+ losing a couple of wars to 3rd world woo peddlers based in the 10th Century.....but that sum would be peanuts compared to a European conflict. One thing Europeans have always been good at is killing each other ......and it's all about "events" rather than active decisions.
Old 17-11-2011, 07:06   #75

Boat: Able 50

No matter what currency Greece stays on they aren't going to be paying off anything so they shouldn't kid themselves on that one. At least with Drachma the tourist industry will be pumping. Think how peaceful home would be if the British bargain hunters all left for a while on a cheap holiday.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: