Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-11-2011, 04:40   #46

Location: from Houston, TX; currently berthed in Barcelona, headed west
Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Re: Schengen Agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxy View Post
What happens in theory and what happens in practice often vary.
Folks come and go here all the time with no problems. Italy makes their own rules. But who knows...I could be next...Was I supposed to hold a gun on them...they just would not stamp my passport! We don't do that here...they said. They are really very nice about it all.
Hope it continues to be so easy for you. An American on a boat here on our dock ran into problems when trying to fly out of Spain. They scanned his passport and between Italy, France and Spain he had exceeded the 90-days allowed by Schengen. He was detained and lectured but then allowed to board the plane....with a warning that he could not return for 90 days.

With more places going onto the computer system, we must assume the 90-days will be enforced more and more and the days of skirting below radar are coming to an end.

BTW, if your passports were not stamped into Italy what will happen when you fly out of Italy?

Judy

Old 14-11-2011, 06:40   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Quote: " I won't comment on the absolutely horrendous procedures for entering the US as a non-American / Canadian"

It cannot be too hard, There are more Canadians in fl in the winter than Floridians! Just Joking! I hope it becomes easier...though not likely with our political paronoia. Believe it or not we Americans enjoy you Eu'ers when you are here. Canadians are just family living out of town.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 06:49   #48

Boat: Island Packet 380 39'5"

Judy

We just made a point today to talk to several folks who have just flown out and back in to Italy with no problem. At the rate we keep asking folks they are going to have to start charging us for therapy.

Those Guys who have been here for ages are so laid back...I hope we can master that skill and not worry, too. Next year when you are here, you will see what we mean. We haven't heard one word of scary tactics except here on this forum and rumors of those folks who got caught on airlines. As long as we stay in small ports we hope to stay under the radar. And if we get fined...it's still cheaper than 3 months in the US...and we will just go to Africa. It's interesting there.

We wouldn't be doing this if we weren't willing to take some risks....that's what we said when we crossed the Indian Ocean but that was way stupid!!!
Old 14-11-2011, 09:05   #49

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
No worries, an offshore powerboat could do it much quicker.
We did it west to east Balearics to Turkey in 8 days on a 46 foot monohull. So assumed Bill might go quicker on his 53.
And sadly the Atlantic crossing weather wasn't quite as favourable.
On same boat that took 16 days 1 hour.
Cheers
John
Well, the Balearics takes a good day out of it but still bloody good going, must have been a hell of a ride!

Took me a week to sail round Spain earlier this year (allmst non stop 650 NM) and a friend of mine helped re deliver a motor yacht from Italy to Southern Spain earlier this year and that took a week under power, hence my sceptisism.

I plan on doing the same distance in at least FOUR MONTHS lol, mind you, that is just going to be relaxed cruising.....
Old 14-11-2011, 14:47   #50
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Its true that entry exit procedures for small yachts in the EU/schengen area can be haphazard and its very easy to duck under the radar. Especially if youre white anglo types etc. Because exit checking is not really required or even carried out this is even more conducive to confusion.

So thats good then, Also by the way, lots of schengen countries dont check the 180 day limit, for Visa Wavier travellers, so they just stamp another 90 day Visa into your passport and voila youre good to go.

However none of this exempts you from breaking the law and fines have been levied against overstays and your passport gets a nasty illegal immigrant stamp.

SO have fun , keep under the radar , dont use airports. watch for thoses random pesky passports checks.

Dave
Old 14-11-2011, 14:56   #51
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Schengen Agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Its true that entry exit procedures for small yachts in the EU/schengen area can be haphazard and its very easy to duck under the radar. Especially if youre white anglo types etc. Because exit checking is not really required or even carried out this is even more conducive to confusion.

So thats good then, Also by the way, lots of schengen countries dont check the 180 day limit, for Visa Wavier travellers, so they just stamp another 90 day Visa into your passport and voila youre good to go.

However none of this exempts you from breaking the law and fines have been levied against overstays and your passport gets a nasty illegal immigrant stamp.

SO have fun , keep under the radar , dont use airports. watch for thoses random pesky passports checks.

Dave
Dave...
What the hell are you drinking... I WANT SOME......

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 14:59   #52
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Dave...
What the hell are you drinking... I WANT SOME......
do you disagree with anything i said there, I was just confirming the status quo

to expound.

Airports tends to have more regular and sophisicated checks, They usually have online access to the SIS II database. They can detect overstays easily enough. Since most people check in at marinas, the port officials can often be very casual. Equally theres rarely any exit checking, you just leave, so its hard to track.

Dave
Old 14-11-2011, 15:20   #53
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Schengen Agreement

ROFL..... sorry Dave... just joshing...
Not used to such a reasonable attitude...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 15:46   #54
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
ROFL..... sorry Dave... just joshing...
Not used to such a reasonable attitude...
Thats OK , I can revert to my usual stern lecturing self

no overstays OK, big fines, officialdom, go home.

There, alls right in the world.

Seriously though, there is a real need for a EU wide B2 equivalent long stay tourist visa. no doubt it will come ( though right now, the Commission are somewhat pre-occupied).

Also as the access to the SIS II database is completed it will easy to detect overstays, right now german police have it in their police cars!.
Old 14-11-2011, 17:28   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

So, lets say I am staying in Venice, got my boat there.

The Wife and I pop over to Coatia for a weekend in a rental car.

Does this then give us a "reset?" Or does the boat have to go and return?
Old 14-11-2011, 17:37   #56

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
So, lets say I am staying in Venice, got my boat there.

The Wife and I pop over to Coatia for a weekend in a rental car.

Does this then give us a "reset?" Or does the boat have to go and return?

Your question is answered numerous times in the above responses to the OP.
Old 14-11-2011, 18:09   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
I won't comment on the absolutely horrendous procedures for entering the US as a non-American / Canadian!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
Quote: " I won't comment on the absolutely horrendous procedures for entering the US as a non-American / Canadian"

It cannot be too hard, There are more Canadians in fl in the winter than Floridians! Just Joking! I hope it becomes easier...though not likely with our political paronoia. Believe it or not we Americans enjoy you Eu'ers when you are here. Canadians are just family living out of town.
It took a while to find who you were quoting. I did it since the quote appeared to be suggesting that it was easy for Canadians, which it was. You'll note SteveT is from the UK and despite his assertion he wouldn't comment on it, was in fact commenting on how hard it was for those who weren't citizens or Canadians to cross the border.

We do have a relationship unique in the world.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 18:45   #58

Boat: Boereal 44

Maybe Dave or someone else could give my wife and I an idea what type of visa we could apply for before we pick up our new boat in France. We will pick it up upon completion in June 2013. We are fine with the 90 days on a tourist visa as far as sea trials and complete the out fitting of the boat but will have to stay longer to await the end of the hurricane season to make the cross over. As this is a new boat I'm wondering if there is some type of educational visa or boat related visa that someone might know of so we can stay longer than 90 days. I know we could leave for Africa and may do that if the hurricane season in 2013 is longer than normal but we would love to stay in the EU for about 180 days if possible.
Thanks for any ideas
Old 14-11-2011, 19:46   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

There must be some way around the Schengen visa limit. I'm sure George Clooney doesn't have to leave his house on Lake Como every 90 days.

Yea, yea I know the rules never apply to the rich and famous but still I'm sure even George has to get his passport stamped and do some sort of paperwork.

Anyone know George and can ask him?

No, seriously. Anyone have a contact drop him an email.
Old 15-11-2011, 03:39   #60
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior

Your question is answered numerous times in the above responses to the OP.
No it will not reset the time. Once you use up 90 days you must leave for a further 90 days.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: