Old 11-11-2011, 14:21   #31
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Schengen Agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
+1

Or marry a local - all offers considered
If serious..............post better and current photos!
Old 11-11-2011, 16:16   #32
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
It is possible that Greece Italy etc - the PIIGS - will be out of the Euro currency but still in the European Union. The Schengen could remain . Thanks for the info all
all only temporary huff and bluff, nobodys leaving the eurozone or the EU. Its like that song from the Eagles.

Dave
Old 12-11-2011, 04:16   #33

Boat: Lagoon 380 - Times like these. Port: Mooloolaba, Australia

Staying more than 90 days in Schengen countries can also be done by entering the EU country in your boat as registered ‘Crew’ where the transit log (In the case of Greece) is used for the check in and check out, and your passport is then not stamped. This is the process used in both the marine and aviation industries for crew who have passports from countries where a Visa is required before entering. (For example, a pilot from say the Philippines is flying an aircraft to Dubai where they would normally require a visa in advance to enter – he/she does not need a Visa in this case, as they are permitted to enter the country as ‘crew’ of that ship, with no stamp in the passport, but with strict limitations.) There are also strict limitations when doing this in Europe as crew of a boat, where if you don’t end up exiting that country on your boat, then you can only fly back directly to your home country, and you must officially ‘stay’ on your vessel each night (Apparently unless you issue yourself a ‘shore pass’). I’ve only seen this done when processing in and out of Greece, and using an immigration agent for the arrival and departure formalities, who was up to speed with the process.
Some might say the process above is full of holes, but it’s been successfully done. A total of 88 days under the Schengen arrangement, and another 50 days as ‘crew’.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:44   #34
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burls
Staying more than 90 days in Schengen countries can also be done by entering the EU country in your boat as registered ‘Crew’ where the transit log (In the case of Greece) is used for the check in and check out, and your passport is then not stamped. This is the process used in both the marine and aviation industries for crew who have passports from countries where a Visa is required before entering. (For example, a pilot from say the Philippines is flying an aircraft to Dubai where they would normally require a visa in advance to enter – he/she does not need a Visa in this case, as they are permitted to enter the country as ‘crew’ of that ship, with no stamp in the passport, but with strict limitations.) There are also strict limitations when doing this in Europe as crew of a boat, where if you don’t end up exiting that country on your boat, then you can only fly back directly to your home country, and you must officially ‘stay’ on your vessel each night (Apparently unless you issue yourself a ‘shore pass&rsquo. I’ve only seen this done when processing in and out of Greece, and using an immigration agent for the arrival and departure formalities, who was up to speed with the process.
Some might say the process above is full of holes, but it’s been successfully done. A total of 88 days under the Schengen arrangement, and another 50 days as ‘crew’.
You may bamboozle some official with that story. But crew on a leisure boat are not "crew" for the purposes of a Schengen transit visa. Professional crew have specific paperwork and status to back that ascertains. What you are advocating is not legal for non commercial crew.

I should also point out that commercial crew places certain legal onus on the category of the boat and the captain and may involve STCW-95 training procedures.

It's not a way to dodge Schengen

Dave
Old 12-11-2011, 17:21   #35

Boat: Lagoon 380 - Times like these. Port: Mooloolaba, Australia

Interesting Dave. I certainly wouldn’t advocate such an approach! However, I would be interested to delve in to that subject and factually determine how crew status is ‘officially’ identified (What credentials are needed), and what the immigration agents use in practical purposes.

When we asked people who had stayed in the EU for a whole season how they handled the Schengen Visa situation, interestingly, a very common response was “they just didn’t check in”, which is obviously very risky! It seems to me that if you’re going to be in the Med for the season, and you want to be legal, then plan on being out of the Schengen areas for beyond your 90 days, there’s plenty of places to explore!
Old 13-11-2011, 03:44   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdon View Post
One solution become a New Zealand citizen. As a New Zealander you get 90 days in each of 17 of the Schengen countries irrespective of the time spent in any Schengen area. the only downfall is that you cannot travel to any of the counties not included in the list of 17 after spending more than the prescibed 90 days.

This exemption is not available to citizens of any other country.
Could you put up the link for where you sourced this info from? As a Kiwi who travels to a few countries in the EU regularly, this is the first I've ever heard of this. As my wife is from the UK, we were convinced our only solution was for her to officially declare herself resident in whatever country we happened to be cruising and then for me to obtain a visa as her 'dependent'.

If what was posted above is true, then we don't have much to worry about as after leaving Turkey, we'd be looking at 90 days in Greece, 90 days in Italy, 90 days in France, 90 in Spain, etc.... (the boat is currently UK flagged so the 180 days for it doesn't apply). Our intention being to cruise from Turkey to the Baltic with a loop around Britain and Ireland. Would be fantastic if the above is true!

PT.

Found the info via Google;
http://www.safetravel.govt.nz/destin...ropetips.shtml

Posting here in case any Kiwi's are looking for the same info;
touchngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 07:10   #37

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

[QUOTE=touchngo;817014]Could you put up the link for where you sourced this info from? As a Kiwi who travels to a few countries in the EU regularly, this is the first I've ever heard of this. As my wife is from the UK, we were convinced our only solution was for her to officially declare herself resident in whatever country we happened to be cruising and then for me to obtain a visa as her 'dependent'.

If what was posted above is true, then we don't have much to worry about as after leaving Turkey, we'd be looking at 90 days in Greece, 90 days in Italy, 90 days in France, 90 in Spain, etc.... (the boat is currently UK flagged so the 180 days for it doesn't apply). Our intention being to cruise from Turkey to the Baltic with a loop around Britain and Ireland. Would be fantastic if the above is true!

PT.

Found the info via Google;
NZ government travel advisory - travel tips to Europe

Posting here in case any Kiwi's are looking for the same info;[/Q

The link from the NZ government about travel in Europe lists the 17 countries where the 90 day stay in each is allowed.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 10:15   #38

Boat: Island Packet 380 39'5"

I have tried to read all the above info and it's about as clear as mud and I am stuck in the middle of the whole mudpie!!

We are in Italy with no visa and no stamp into Europe and been here about 3 months...we just couldn't get them to stamp us in...we do not plan to check into or out of any of these crazy countries next year. We have been advised to just go anchor and raise the right flag and hope to hell we can sneak out of Europe the end of next year unnoticed and check into Morocco even if we have to hire a lawyer there. Europeans can make more crazy rules that nobody follows consistently. We have followed all the rules around the world so far but it's really screwed up here.

and BTW...Since when do the American individuals make immigration policy? And who has the most right to question a persons desire to visit the USA? Compare how many threats are made against the US to most other first world countries. The first time the population is not protected and something happens...boom...they scream "bloody murder". Immigration has to be tough! It just does! I sure wish it didn't, with all my heart! Durn...the world is a more miserable place today than yesterday!

As far as advice for the initiator of this thread goes...we have been told to relax and just don't worry by US folks who have been cruising around 17 years without getting caught...actually a whole lot of US and BRIT folks here at our marina. So here's hoping our luck holds out.
Old 13-11-2011, 10:27   #39
Nearly an old salt

As a special case for NZ travellers the following legally provide 90 day individual stays.

Austria Belgium Denmark
Finland France Germany
Greece Iceland Italy
Luxembourg The Netherlands Norway
Portugal Spain Sweden
Switzerland

Hence you are allowed without further ado. 90days in each of these countries. Otisde of these countries, those that are in the Schengen area apply the standard 90 day schengen visa.

Quote:
As far as advice for the initiator of this thread goes...we have been told to relax and just don't worry by US folks who have been cruising around 17 years without getting caught...actually a whole lot of US and BRIT folks here at our marina. So here's hoping our luck holds out.
The reality is that unlike the USA, passport controls for pleasure boats in very lax. Since there is no requirement to obtain checkout stamps ( in fatc few airports now in Europe do it), theres no easy way for you or an immigration official to prove what you did country to country. However be aware that overstay is breaking the law and if somebody wants to throw the book at you they can.

PS it sometime escapes the BRITs that they are actually members of the EU and have no restrictions on the length of time they stay in the EU !.

Dave
Old 13-11-2011, 10:29   #40

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Lexxy, as an American citizen you are subject to the 90/180 rule. When you cleared in to Italy you must have received some paperwork from some authority. If so that will show your arrival date. This same paperwork will be checked on your departure and someone will realise you are outside your limit and you will be fined. If you leave by plane without any stamp of entry into your passport they will make the assumption you have been in the Schengen area for more than 90 days and you will be fined. There is a ton of information on this by searching Google.

As far as the Brits are concerned they are not affected by the Schengen agreement at the UK is part of the EU even if it is not a Schengen signatory.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 10:31   #41
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burls View Post
[FONT=Calibri]Interesting Dave. I certainly wouldn’t advocate such an approach! However, I would be interested to delve in to that subject and factually determine how crew status is ‘officially’ identified (What credentials are needed), and what the immigration agents use in practical purposes.
FOR SEAMAN VISA:
• A Schengen visa application form, duly filled out, dated and signed
• Photocopy of current passport, old passport and all the visas which they contain
• Photocopy of current seaman’s book, old seaman’s book
• Letter of guarantee from the agent abroad, written in their language, to be
sent directly by fax to the embassy concerned
• Letter of guarantee from the agent stating that off-signing crew
will immediately report to the embassy concerned. The letter must include
the names of signing-on and signing-off crews
Contract of Employment and OEC from POEA
• SOLAS or BSC Certificate

dave
Old 13-11-2011, 11:44   #42

Boat: Island Packet 380 39'5"

What happens in theory and what happens in practice often vary.
Folks come and go here all the time with no problems. Italy makes their own rules. But who knows...I could be next...Was I supposed to hold a gun on them...they just would not stamp my passport! We don't do that here...they said. They are really very nice about it all.
Old 13-11-2011, 14:19   #43

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere
It is amazing how many Canadians I have seen traveling down the ICW considering the horrible entry procedures. The last time I visited Canada I was asked if I had a gun with with me, I told him the last time I owned a gun was when I lived in Canada. I have been asked the most idiotic questions by Canadian border guards. I happen to be a dual citizen and let me assure you I prefer to deal with US bureaucracy over any other.
Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 14:27   #44

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
...... You could sail north / south from say France down to Morocco in 3 days, or east / west from Spain to Turkey in 7 days.......
Sorry to be picky but,

IN WHAT, an offshore racing powerboat???

I thought we were talking sailing, Spain to Turkey is over 1600 miles!!

By that logic, you could easily cross the atlantic in a fortnight flat.....
Old 14-11-2011, 00:24   #45

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
Sorry to be picky but,

IN WHAT, an offshore racing powerboat???

I thought we were talking sailing, Spain to Turkey is over 1600 miles!!

By that logic, you could easily cross the atlantic in a fortnight flat.....
No worries, an offshore powerboat could do it much quicker.
We did it west to east Balearics to Turkey in 8 days on a 46 foot monohull. So assumed Bill might go quicker on his 53.
And sadly the Atlantic crossing weather wasn't quite as favourable.
On same boat that took 16 days 1 hour.
Cheers
John