Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2016, 06:50   #76

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Re: Sardinia Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We had to cut the spinnaker sailing a couple hours short when Charlie yelled "FISH ON!"

18kg Yellow fin tuna
Yummmmm, sushi.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 06:58   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We had to cut the spinnaker sailing a couple hours short when Charlie yelled "FISH ON!"

18kg Yellow fin tuna
So thats the bait? small aint it?
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 09:31   #78

Hi Folks,

I missed the start of this thread back in June, because ....

I had just left for a two week trip from Portisco up the East Coast of Corsica, over to Capraia and Elba, down to Argentario and then back by much the same route but picking up anchorages and marinas that we hadn't gone to on the way out...

The boat is a 46ft Bavaria which is based in Portisco (out on charter when the owner doesn't want to use it). I go along to assist the owner and his wife and enjoy myself.

I don't have internet access when sailing on her, as I have to cart all my gear over to Sardinia by air and need to keep the weight down.

This was our second trip for this year as back in April / May we went from Portisco to Cagliari and Teulada and back.

Now I am looking at the preliminary planning for next year's two voyages.

April / May: Portisco to Isola di San Pietro and back (or possibly a circumnavigation of Sardinia, to give us new areas to explore).

Aug /Sept: Portisco to Naples , the Amalfi Coast, and back.

I stumbled over this thread whilst looking for any posts about anchorages / moorings on the West coast of Sardinia.

I was hoping to find some references to the mooring buoys in the marina park at Capo San Marco as the web-site for the park doesn't seem to have much detail about them.

So Sardinia Squad can anyone enlighten me?

Any recommendations / warnings for stops on the West coast between Carloforte and Alghero would be appreciated.

Martin
Goodall_M1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 07:57   #79

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Hi all,

I was told in another thread to post this question here...:

Basically I need to hang out with the boat around Liguria for a few weeks in August. Which is not really a bad thing... but it is high season and I have no wish to fight over marina spaces and pay the famous riviera fees. So I wonder, are there any good places where one can drop anchor around that coast?

A quick look at satellite pictures suggests, there are possibly a few places one can anchor just outside Nice and Antibes in France ... then there is La Spezia 100 miles to the east, at the very far end of Liguria, which also looks nice.

The only option in-between seems to be, just possibly, a few coves outside Rapallo / Portofino / Santa Margherita Ligure.. But I think that area is a bit of a tourist attraction, so not sure if I would be welcome.

I will get maps and hopefully a pilotage book ... just trying to plan a bit ahead, for now.

Did I miss something? Can you recommend some other options?

Any other tips also welcome, about how to enjoy this particular coast, restrictions worth knowing about, etc.

Thanks,
Sven
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 09:04   #80
cruiser

Sven,

I'll PM you the location of an excellent anchorage.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 10:33   #81

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Sven,

We are based in St Laurent du Var (close to Nice airport) and know the area very well.
If you are looking for anchorages in that area send me a PM, there are enough possibilities.

Robert
SV Tuturuga
MMSI 254595000

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Cruisers Sailing Forum
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 10:35   #82
cruiser

In the Sardinia Squad, we hold our cards close.

We need to come up with a secret handshake. Keep up the good work.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 12:58   #83

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Thanks Ken, Robert, I will be in touch :-)
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 15:24   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zven View Post

I will get maps and hopefully a pilotage book ... just trying to plan a bit ahead, for now.
Sven, the IMRAY pilotage books that I use split the area into two books "Mediterranean France and Corsica Pilot (5th edition)" and "Italian Waters Pilot (9th edition)" which covers the Western and South coasts of the Italian mainland and all the Western islands including Sardinia so you would need both to cover your cruise. They are about £30-£35 each in the UK.

(You can apparently download rip-off pdf versions off the internet but they appear to be of earlier editions. I haven't looked at these as I prefer to be able to look at the books whilst in the cockpit instead of risking the laptop but you could possibly download these to assist with your planing).

I know there will be other forum members with more direct experience of the area who can give suggestions but I have taken a quick look through the books for you.

The French book shows several anchorages near Cap Ferrat and then none that I can see before one either side of Cap Martin just past Monaco, and another off Menton (on the France/Italy border).

Remember of course that the Riviera from Nice to Menton is actually a very short length of coast, about 15 miles or so!

The Italian books shows calm weather anchorages off Aregai (which is 15 miles into Italy), Porto Maurizio (another 5 miles along), and Diano Marina (another 4 miles east).

Once past Genoa there seem to be more frequent anchoring possibilities on the stretch down to La Spezia.

When entering Italian waters watch out for their many Marine Reserves, some of which provide mooring buoys (so that the sea bed isn't damaged by anchors and anchor chains). One such example seems to be the Portofino Marine Reserve just SE of Genoa but I can't seem to find out any details online. (See my initial post on this thread asking for information about a park on the west coast of Sardinia). You also have to watch out for the restrictions on activities and navigation in the parks, each of which seem to have different rules!

I know what you mean about staggering marina charges in high season in this area Last month we got hit for 125 euros for parking a 46ft boat for ONE
night in Capriaia! (We did also find some that were less than 40 euros).

Hope this gets the planning moving....

Martin
Goodall_M1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 14:06   #85

Boat: Sun Odyssey 32 & Bavaria 38

Hi all, in the process of buying a Bavaria 38 in SOF near Hyeres, with plans to eventually keep in Greece, but as we have just come back from 2 weeks charter there, wont have time to sail there till next year.

Fees around SOF are very high, so was thinking of Sardinia, as not too far away, and could do another week away Sept/Oct to sail over.

Anybody know of competitive marina that would have space till May 2017?

Thanks
Twhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 04:24   #86

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Hello to all Sardinis Squad members. We just arrived in Ischia from Ponza. Are there any CF members in the Napels area for a glass of rosé wine? We brought our stock rosé from France, difficult to find in Italy :-). Cotês de Provence rosé.🍷🍷🍷

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Cruisers Sailing Forum
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 02:14   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhitt View Post
Hi all, in the process of buying a Bavaria 38 in SOF near Hyeres, with plans to eventually keep in Greece, but as we have just come back from 2 weeks charter there, wont have time to sail there till next year.

Fees around SOF are very high, so was thinking of Sardinia, as not too far away, and could do another week away Sept/Oct to sail over.

Anybody know of competitive marina that would have space till May 2017?

Thanks
Hi again,

Have got quotes for winter berthing / storage from the following:

Aquatica Marina Alghero
Base Nautica Usai
Marina Fertillia
Castelsardo
Marina Arabatax

Am leaning towards Aquatica, as have seen a few post around with positive comments for winter berthing?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 16-08-2016, 01:53   #88

Hi,

I am thinking of doing a bareboat catamaran charter in Sardinia mid 2017. Any recommendations for charter companies please?

Thanks
Penny
PT117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 02:01   #89

Check out Boomerang Charter, they seem to be quite popular. Have no experience of them myself though.
xjussix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 02:52   #90

Hyeres to Sardinia

Looking to move our recently purchased bavaria 38 from Hyeres SOF to Sardinia for the Winter, probably Castelsardo.

Any tips whether we should just do a straight trip over, or break it with an overnight in Corsica?

We don't have much time left this year, but looking at 1st week in October.

Thanks

Tags
Corsica, Italy