Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2015, 01:55   #1
cruiser

Sardinia, Corsica, Anyone Nearby?

We're anchored near Portisco, Sardinia on the north eastern coast of the island. Is anyone nearby who'd like to drop by for a visit?

More Americans over here this season. I swam by the trawler anchored next to me yesterday, said hello to the fellow onboard without seeing his flag... turns out he's originally from Taunton, Massachusetts now living in Washington, DC. It's a small world, so drop us a note if you're in the vicinity no matter where you're from, we'd like to meet you.

Most likely we'll be staying around here for another week to ten days, then spending some time in southern Corsica, hopefully the western side weather permitting for two weeks. Let us know your itinerary.

Maybe we can form a Sardinia Squad.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:19   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Sardinia, Corsica, Anyone Nearby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We're anchored near Portisco, Sardinia on the north eastern coast of the island. Is anyone nearby who'd like to drop by for a visit?

More Americans over here this season. I swam by the trawler anchored next to me yesterday, said hello to the fellow onboard without seeing his flag... turns out he's originally from Taunton, Massachusetts now living in Washington, DC. It's a small world, so drop us a note if you're in the vicinity no matter where you're from, we'd like to meet you.

Most likely we'll be staying around here for another week to ten days, then spending some time in southern Corsica, hopefully the western side weather permitting for two weeks. Let us know your itinerary.

Maybe we can form a Sardinia Squad.

Ken
Naah... Mallorca Squad rules in terms of a base.
Do you have AIS? Looking on Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions - AIS Marine Traffic and dont see anything but two pleasure craft showing. What is your boat name?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sardinia.png
Views:	154
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	106464  
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:35   #3
cruiser

There are no fewer than 150 mega and super yachts anchored within 3 miles of our boat. This anchorage tends to clear out during the day. Had a 65ft Fountaine Pajot cat next to me this morning. I had to ask them to move because they were blocking out the sun. The megas and supers tend to turn off their ais while at anchor, not wanting to broadcast the whereabouts of the charter clients for obvious reasons.

The Fountaine was HUGE, looks like it was beginning a charter judging by all the drink bottles stacked up on the upper deck.

This area kicks Mallorcas bum in terms of daily sailing conditions, scenic anchorages and the number of enormous mega yachts... Believe it or not.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:39   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
There are no fewer than 150 mega and super yachts anchored within 3 miles of our boat. This anchorage tends to clear out during the day. Had a 65ft Fountaine Pajot cat next to me this morning. I had to ask them to move because they were blocking out the sun. The megas and supers tend to turn off their ais while at anchor, not wanting to broadcast the whereabouts of the charter clients for obvious reasons.

The Fountaine was HUGE, looks like it was beginning a charter judging by all the drink bottles stacked up on the upper deck.
I have filters set on the site.......... just looking for pleasure boats only... If I switch on all the filters the page gets crowded out. Seems as you say, a lot switch off in Port, I would, and some dont have.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:06   #5

I would be interested in your observations on West Corsican coast anchorages. My 1965 Feadship is currently in Calvi and I shall be cruising down the West coast from this Saturday weather permitting. Very much looking forward to Girolatta which I last visited on a Moody 40 some 20 years ago.
Which weather forecasts do you find the most accurate for this area?
Regards
Kilmaine
kilmaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Corsica