Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2017, 12:16   #1

Sardinia and Corsica: Sailing Itinerary

I’m looking to sail around both Sardinia and Corsica next summer. My plan would be to circle both islands (including a stop at Elba) over the course of 6 weeks. I’d start in mid-June and stop at the end of July.

Is this realistic or should I just stick to the North of Sardinia and the south of Corsica during that timeframe? Would 7 weeks allow me to do it? Is it worth stopping in Elba? Are there any great places I should stop in addition to the below? Sorry for all the questions and very much appreciate all the help and guidance you might have. I’ll be sailing on at 40 foot monohull, so probably making 5-6 knots.

Rough itinerary below:

(1) Leave out of Cannigione and head up the West coast of Corsica. Stops at Magdalena Islands, Porto Vecchio, Solenzara, Campoloro

(2) Make a quick trip to Elba with stops at Pianosa (or Montecristo) and Capraia

(3) Sail to Saint Florentine, L’lle Rousse, and Calvi on the Northern end of Corsica

(4) Head down the East coast, stopping at Girolata, Porto, Propriano, Bonifaccio

(5) Head down the East coast of Sardinia, stopping at Castelsardo, Porto Torres, Stintino, Algiers, Bosa, Oristano, and Carloforte

(6) Sail across the Southern end of Sardinia, stopping at Capo di Pula, Cagliari, Villasimus

(7) Sail up the West coast of Sardinia, stopping at Arbatax, La Caletta, Porto Cervo, etc.

(8) Return to Cannigione
troy.wickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 12:26   #2
cruiser

Re: Sardinia and Corsica: Sailing Itinerary

Elba is definitely worth the effort. Some very nice anchorages on the North side. Geez, six weeks? We spent 18 months there and need to go back because we still have lots to see.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 13:20   #3

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

If I can count, you listed 27 places to stop on this six week adventure. I'm with Ken, that's just too much to do.

Corsica, Sardinia, and Elba are all beautiful and have a lot to offer. I would recommend you narrow your scope a bit and take your time. If I had to choose, I would circumnavigate Corsica and visit Elba. As beautiful as Sardinia is, I think you are doing too much to try and visit all three islands on one six week trip.

Just my opinion...

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 13:25   #4

Got it, thank you both. That’s very helpful.

@Kenomac, I know you have a thread focused on Sardinia. Given your experience in both areas and since I likely need to choose one of the two, I’d love to get your perspective on the two areas.

Thank you again both for all the help. I’ve been going through the JimB site which is super helpful, but it’s great to get different perspectives as well.

Hopefully I’ll see you sailing around there next summer.
troy.wickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 02:40   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy.wickett View Post
I’ve been going through the JimB site which is super helpful, but it’s great to get different perspectives as well.
Did you pick up the recommendation to consider an anti-clockwise circuit? When the mistral is blowing, gives you relatively light east coast sea breezes going north, and a rollicking run down the SW coast to the Bonifacio Straits.

You might have to hang around a day off the north cape though!

JimB
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 09:15   #6

(from Catalunya. Sorry for my faults in English)

I've rounded many times both islands and the Tuscan Islands. I would recomend you to go directely from Porto Vechio or Pinarellu to Elba. The east coast of Corsica is a long beach with no interests till Bastia, or even better Macinaggio.
Pianosa and Montecristo are not allowed to visitors. Both are Natural Parks with severe restrictios tothe visits.
Don't miss Capraia, small island 23 nm NW Elba.
Porto Torres is a a town with all tipes of supplies, but few touristic interest.
Add Asinara on your roadbook. An incredible and unspoiled Natural Park.
Porto Conte is a big, nice, quiet and well proptected anchorage.
The old town of Alguero is incredible.
Bosa is also a lovely port and town, away fron the crowds. You have two ports and the possibility of anchoring.
Oristano is just a technical stop.
Carloforte is a nice town and safe port. Calasetta, just 3 nm away, is also a good and cheaper option.
Have a nice trip

PD: I would recomend to visit www.marabierto.eu and have a look in Singladuras. You will see many pictures and sailor.s comments ( . . . in Spanish)
Eros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 10:44   #7

Boat: Broadblue 385
Send a message via Skype™ to suedstern1

I agree with the posts - it's too much for 6 weeks. I would prefer to start with Elba, than go up to Capraia ( depending on the wind via Bastia). I also agree with the hint to do the trip counter clockwise to be save if the Mistral is blowing.
Giglio is another small and very nice island worth To be visited.'
From Bonifacio it is a short trip to the Magdalena archipelago, very nice natural reserve. You need a permission to stay there.
Fred
suedstern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 05:57   #8

Boat: Morgan 461

We spent some time in Sardinia and Sicily in 2014 and loved both islands, but were constrained by the Schengen rules that allow 90 days in followed by 90 days out of the Schengen area.

Kenomac, how did you manage 18 month? Are you a citizen of a Schengen country? We currently in Grenada WI and will probably sail back to Italy in April / May and would love to spend longer time in-region.
Old 22-10-2017, 06:19   #9

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sher9016 View Post
We spent some time in Sardinia and Sicily in 2014 and loved both islands, but were constrained by the Schengen rules that allow 90 days in followed by 90 days out of the Schengen area.

Kenomac, how did you manage 18 month? Are you a citizen of a Schengen country? We currently in Grenada WI and will probably sail back to Italy in April / May and would love to spend longer time in-region.
See:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/....php?p=2431025
Old 22-10-2017, 07:48   #10
cruiser

Spend time in Montenegro, Croatia and Albania which aren't part of Schengen, or have two passports each from a different country. Eazy to do with dual citizenship, or obtain an extended tourist visa.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Corsica, sail, sailing