Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 04:03   #1
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Salerno & Naples, Italy Anchorages ?

Hi folks.

I can safely leave the landlubbers and dreamers out of this discussion but I will allow folks who are working hard and 5 years from starting their cruise to drool...

We are thinking of dropping the pick in the anchorage on the south side of Capri for a few days (if calm longer )

We may need to clear into Europe near here (long explanation) Naples and Salerno are 20 and 30nms respectivly north and south of Capri.

Always on the bite to save a dollar, has anyone anchored at either Naples or Salerno? Which is better etc?

Marinas, if pressed, wheres best between N and S?

Which city is better for an Aussie to buy beer.... ooops, I meant to sight culcha?

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:19   #2

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
Mark - we're not there yet and right this mo I'm not on board, but I have never heard good things about Naples either as a place to take the boat or a place to do battle with bureaucracy. Salerno will probably be a bit dearer but infinitely preferable.

After you've cleared in, I have been told of a v good anchorage N of Naples called something like Nisdri which is sheltered and secure and overlooked by an army base. It is at the northern end of the suburban train system which runs to Naples and Pompeii, so you can reach them for 1EU each. I haven't been there but have had it well recommended as an alternative to marinas or the overcrowding of Capri.

We will be very interested in how you find it all as we expect to be there ourselves in about 5 weeks (without the clearing in complications.)
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:46   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
We gave Capri a miss and dropped the pick on the east side of Ischia--much better protection. The waters around Naplesi are unfortunately dirty, as the Italians haven;t learned to use the rubbish bins the government provides.

Good luck on checking into Italy-no one wants to interrupt their 8 hour coffee break. We were run around Venice for 4 hours, from one port captain to the next, to the ferry terminal, where the Frontier Police stamped a crew list, but not our passports. I think they didn't want to start the Schengen clock for us.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:55   #4

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Hey Mark, How about some more photos of these fabulous anchorages ?
In two years time (712 more sleeps - but who's counting), we'll be there............ Now, to set the alarm for tommorrow morning. 6 or 5:30?

Greg
Old 01-06-2010, 10:20   #5

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Unhappy Bay of Naples...

Is an absolute highlight of any cruise - Etna, Pompei & Naples itself - but sadly, it ain't cheap.

As suggested, you can anchor off Nisida (we have), but the shelter's not great; we found Baia across the other side of the Golfo Di Pozzouli was a bit better (probably depends on wind/swell direction when you're there)and whilst further out, is probably better connected for catch the local buses/trains into Naples. Notwithstanding, I consider them both, along with Capri too, to be strictly 'fair-weather' anchorages; the only vaguely secure anchorage we found in the whole area was at Miseno at the very SW corner of the Golfo Di Pozzouli, it was a mile or so walk to connect to public transport, but I was happier about leaving the boat unattended there.

We had a couple of nights in the marinas at both Nisida and Torre Del Greco too; as we were there in early May, things were quiet and so their rates proved negotiable (about €40/night) but this time of the year, it will be double that or possibly even more.

I've never been into Salerno, but am told the marina there's cheaper than those in the bay of Naples itself and there are good transport links to naples etc. We stayed at the small harbour of Cetara a few miles west of Salerno - free when we we there, though I gather they charge nowadays - which was good for the Sorrento peninsula, and well sheltered.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:31   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Thanks for the great information. Salerno looks like it has an anchorage but can't see any boats there. Havent found anyone who has done it there yet.

Capri does look like a fair weather anchorage, but hey, how many times can we get there? and we would never be able to afford the Capri marina... and even then the becautiful bay is where the anchorage is, not where the marina is!

We can spring from a night or 2 in the Salerno Marina (can't find a website) if we need to to clear in and go Up Pompeii!

Old 01-06-2010, 11:19   #7

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
While your ashore, you must do the Amalifi drive and visit Pozitano. You will get a taste of the real southern Italy. Nalpes is dirty and best avoided.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:29   #8

A perfect place in Napoli is the MARINA DI STABIA.
We have been there for one night only to visit Pompej which is only one hour walk away.
The place is absolutely safe, well guarded with all facilities.
However, not cheap, we have paid in April 2009 for our 10 m boat
Euro 45,--, they said in the high season it would be Euro 80,--
But for one night only it is worth.

We were thinking to stay in Ischia, however if considering the time and the costs for the ferry to Nappoli, then eventually buses, we have preferred the closest place to Pompej,
it would have come even more expensive, as also Ischia is said not to be cheap and there were reports that not so much safe.
Joefloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 17:47   #9

Boat: Davidson 46, 14m LOA
Mark, can't say I've cruised in the Med, but we have visited the Amalfi coast.

I would suggest avoiding Napoli .... dirty, disorganised, expensive, crime ridden, etc. We stayed in Sorrento and that looked to be a good place to maybe hang out with your boat for a few days. The ferries go from Sorrento to Capri ... the slow ferries are significantly cheaper than the fast ferry. There is a marina at Sorrento and around the corner at the old Harbour backed by a quaint small fishing village that was an easy walk from Sorrento proper. Good restaurants, friendly people, cheap Limoncello ... Sorrento even has an Irish bar (run by a large Italian guy called Seamus).

Busses and trains leave from Sorrento to Napoli, Pompeii, Herculaneum, Amalfi, Positano, etc.
Old 21-06-2010, 22:42   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowazark View Post
Napoli .... dirty, disorganised, expensive, crime ridden, etc. .
Sounds fantastic!! Nicolle is champing at the bitt to use her tear gas cannister.

Sorrento looks terrific. Some great photos on Google

Thanks for your help

Mark

Old 22-06-2010, 06:27   #11

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Mark,
If you ever need local translation or help let us know.
Our daughter in law is Italian, works part time in Grosetto Marina, is used to sophisticated Australians and can be contacted by phone. PM me if ever required.
And why bypass Croatia?
Cheers
JOHN
Old 22-06-2010, 06:48   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
And why bypass Croatia?
Cheers
JOHN
Thanks I will PM you if I need it. That a lovely offer.
Croatia bypassed because of time. Needed a break here, then the short 3 month visa, then want to be out of the med October to head to the Caribbea. in November.

But the good thing is that the Med is so close to the Caribbean we are intending on coming here often

Mark

Old 22-06-2010, 07:58   #13

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
While your ashore, you must do the Amalifi drive and visit Pozitano. You will get a taste of the real southern Italy. Nalpes is dirty and best avoided.
There's a marina on the amalfi coast, you definitely want to sample the lemon spirit they brew around there..
Old 22-06-2010, 11:01   #14

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Absolutely no experience in that subject so read on at your peril. BUT I do read German boating forums and Germans absolutely love Italy, so here is what I learned from there.

Anecdotes - take them for what they are worth:

- Anchoring around Capri. Caution required as the ground is rocky,so you might either not anchor or anchor until you find a local diver to retrieve said anchor, as it can get stuck in cracks in the rocks. Apparently it happens,but you probably already know this.

- Mid July onwards very busy in all marinas. It gets COSY. Recommended to check ahead.

- instead of Salerno, Protea (modern marina )and Vibo Valencia are recommended.

- Procida island (
Cala di Corricella) seems to be a good place.

Leaving you this link in english to see the marinas that are around . This link goes to the 4 marinas of Salerno

https://marinas.com/search/?search=1...T&city=Salerno

PS : Anacapri used to be the quieter,more sedate area of Capri and you could still find decent restaurants with better prices let´s say,but I was last there years ago so that may well be out of date .The climb up to the Villa Jovis built by Tiberius is well worth it .
Oh and you must eat a lemon! The most refreshing thing around and on offer by loads of streetvendors on Capri .They are enormous and not very acid.
You asked about beer. A sixpack of Moretti is around 4 euros ina large supermarket .Wine starts at 2 euros a bottle in the supermarkets and not half bad.

- Palmarola (mostly uninhabited island ) and Zannone (uninhabited but has a forestry service station and is a protected area ) are supposed to be worth visiting.

Adax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 11:26   #15

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Roaring girl,do you mean Nisida ? There is a Nato base there.

Adax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages, Italy