Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2010, 11:36   #16

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Hey Mark,

You guys have to see the "Blue Cave" while you are there... it is great... bring your cam as it is lots of fun to capture the singing... The sights from atop Capri are also fantastic.... Naples is not much to see, the Coast is OK and there is a fort there, but petty crime is abundant... Salerno is a beautiful place, much, much better than Naples... don't miss Pompii either... very interesting place...

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 15:06   #17

Boat: Bruce Roberts 45 (steel) - Armonid
Anchoring close to Naples

I've been there 2-3 times.

1) The area is usually dead calm. (could be why most locals have motor boats).

2) We've anchored south of Capri. (Marina Piccola). If I remember correctly, in 30+ meters. Surrounded by HUGE yachts. Be ready to be humbled If you have time, worth it.

3) I've read disparaging comment on Naples in this thread. I (partially) disagree. The first time we went there, yes, the most salient feature in my mind was probably the garbage bags. Naples is not Zurich.

The second time, for some reason, I really fell in love with the city. Vibrant, different. And with extraordinary pizzas. As for the Gulf itself, it is one of the most picturesque area of the Italian coast. I'll have to travel to the area again next year, for business, and am certainly looking forward to it.

As others have mentioned, Nisida is not a bad place. BUT be careful. My dinghy has been impounded when I've left it on the wrong side of a fence (i.e. on military grounds). I also believe that the amount of space available to drop anchor has been reduced. Locals suggest Pozzuoli, or Baia. Then take the train to Naples.

--> When entering the Gulf of Naples, my GPS lost fix repeatedly (maybe related to the NATO base?). Never for long, but it is annoying and will probably make it difficult to approach the area on autopilot.

--> here is a link to a map of several anchorages in the vicinity: Untitled - Google Maps
gauvins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 01:59   #18
cruiser

Re: Salerno & Naples, Italy Anchorages ?

Mark,

We're doing the same thing in late June until July 7. I need to drop Mrs. Mac at the airport, then hang out at some anchorages for eight days, hopefully Capri. Then id like to take a mooring for a couple of days maybe at Marina Di Stabia if I can afford it, in order to see Pompeii and Herculaneum.

How did things work out for you? Any tips?

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages, Italy