Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2019, 09:31   #1

Sailing Med with Delaware Registration, no USCG Documentation

I am a US citizen and have purchased a cat from Sunsail in Lefkada Greece (began the process in November) and just received a request for more paperwork in order to complete the deflag. The actual deflag process started 4 weeks ago and I'm not sure how much longer it will take to sort out the deflag.

We arrive in Greece and would like to start sailing May 15th (3 weeks from today). I expect the deflag will be completed by then, but don't think there is any way to complete USCG documentation before then.

In order to start deflag, I paid for the boat, got signed bills of sale, etc. This was enough for me to register in Delaware (boat is owned by my Delaware LLC) so I have a valid Bill of Sale, Delaware Registration, proof of insurance, etc.

Now for the questions:
Does anyone have experience clearing into and out of countries on a Delaware registration without USCG documentation? I have heard it is extremely common and is no issue, but I also understand that officially it's not really supposed to happen and wonder if anyone has any input.

Does anyone have experience trying to rush USCG documentation for a boat that is visiting a foreign country?

If the deflag takes longer than expected (it already has) does anyone know what the rules are about moving the boat? Can you move it within Greece? Is it dock bound until deflag is complete? I believe the boat cannot move but am curious if anyone knows something different.

Thanks for the input!
jgw50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 22:54   #2

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Sailing Med with Delaware Registration, no USCG Documentation

Last 8 years all over Europe and Turkey & Israel. Delaware registration only.
Know many friends who sail with same. No USCG registration
Old 23-04-2019, 23:51   #3
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgw50 View Post
I am a US citizen and have purchased a cat from Sunsail in Lefkada Greece (began the process in November) and just received a request for more paperwork in order to complete the deflag. The actual deflag process started 4 weeks ago and I'm not sure how much longer it will take to sort out the deflag.

We arrive in Greece and would like to start sailing May 15th (3 weeks from today). I expect the deflag will be completed by then, but don't think there is any way to complete USCG documentation before then.

In order to start deflag, I paid for the boat, got signed bills of sale, etc. This was enough for me to register in Delaware (boat is owned by my Delaware LLC) so I have a valid Bill of Sale, Delaware Registration, proof of insurance, etc.

Now for the questions:
Does anyone have experience clearing into and out of countries on a Delaware registration without USCG documentation? I have heard it is extremely common and is no issue, but I also understand that officially it's not really supposed to happen and wonder if anyone has any input.

Does anyone have experience trying to rush USCG documentation for a boat that is visiting a foreign country?

If the deflag takes longer than expected (it already has) does anyone know what the rules are about moving the boat? Can you move it within Greece? Is it dock bound until deflag is complete? I believe the boat cannot move but am curious if anyone knows something different.

Thanks for the input!
The title company should provide you with the proper temporary letter showing the US documentation is in progress which will be good enough.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 17:39   #4

Boat: between boats

The delay would be concerning me. What is the exact cause?
I had friends last year who took 3 months for deregistration to complete in lefkas. The problem was a slight difference between Bill of sale and ownership papers. They can be real sticklers for detail there.

No you cannot move your boat as they will not issue you a cruising permit. You could however cast off for Italy.

Good luck but get into the detail of the delay ASAP.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men, registration, sail, sailing