Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 06:09   #1

Boat: Swan 40
Sailing in the Med in November...?

Seems like the only opportunity I will have to sail my boat this year (which is in Turkey) will be the last week in October/first week in November. I've never sailed the Med that late - any experience out there in what the weather/winds are like during that period? Thanks!
SV Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 14:30   #2

Boat: Swan 40
Re: Sailing in the Med in November...?

Wow - looks like no one's done much sailing in the Med that late in the season... any experience - other than the pilot chart - on what sort of weather/winds are normal during that period? The boat currently lies at D-Marin in Didim, and it's possible we will start to move her east - homeward - during that time.
SV Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 14:41   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

traditionally the greeks and turks would haul their boats from october to april due to the ferocious storms that frequent the area during the winter!

check out the coptic calender
Date Name Direction Type (translation) Duration
27 Sept El Saleeb W Cross 3 days
21 Oct El Saleebish W Crusade 3 days
+26 Nov El Micness W Broom 3 days
+6 Dec Kassim SW Gale 7 days
20 Dec El Fadrel Saggra SW Small gale
+11 Jan El Fadrel Saggra S Strong Gale 3 days
19 Jan El Fedra El Kibirain W Feeder 5 days
27 Jan El Fedra El Kibirain W Feeder 2 days
+18 Feb El Shams El Saggira NW Feeder 5 days
10 Mar El Hossom SW Brings the Equinox 8 days
+20 Mar El Shams El Kabira E Big Sun gale 2 days
25 Mar Hawa E A wind
29 Apr Khaseen E Sand Wind 2 days
16 Jul El Nogia E Black wind 2 da

+ Indicates a severe gale !!!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 18:52   #4

Boat: Farr 50

Chase - We sailed Greece and southern Turkey until mid November last year. No problems and the wx is still awesome. We wintered in Marmaris but the consistently bad wx did not happen until mid December. Just watch the forecasts and you'll be fine. It is also a great time of year because very few others around but everything still open. John
Old 10-07-2013, 01:50   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Welcome to the forum SV Chase.

The times you mention are very variable. It can be good weather, but there are times where there can be gales, or even storm force winds.

Some argue it is not safe in the Med at this time of year unless you are tucked up in a marina. I disagree and anchor in the Med all year around.

However, at this time of year I will only use anchorages that have protection from both north and south, or at least there is an alternative anchorage available close by that can be entered at night.

Most town quays can be dangerous with these winds and I would not recommend them.

This can mean long distances between anchorages that offer suitable protection, which does not fit in well when cruising for short periods, but I still think you can have a great and safe time, providing you have a very flexible game plan.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:39   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

My strong position is to sail only in the correct season. We have 7 lost off New Zealand at the moment sailing in the wrong season. Why do you want to risk your, and your families lives when quite clearly its the wrong season to sail?

Death defying feats are not brave but foolhardy. And they aren't fun when you have to face death because of your misplaced bravado.

Sailing in the correct season is fun, safe and warm.

Quote:
Mediterranean Hurricanes
October 2009, October 2010, November 2010, November 2011 and twice in February 2012

8 November 2011, 10:00 UTC

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:23   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

I am surprised to see the horror stories about sailing in November. I live in Marmaris full year since 2008 and I've never seen a hurricane or gales here. (or we might have different definition of hurricane and gale force winds..)
November is usually very quite and we use this season to wash up and dry our sails at the end of charter season under sun shine and very weak winds...
Strong winds can of course come and go and I fully support what Noelex 77 has said.

You should also bear in mind that over the last 4-5 years the weather patterns have changed quite a bit and shifted 1 even 2 months further; hot season comes later and leaves later.. Some time ago, in May regular meltemis would have set up, sea temp. around 22-23, while November, particularly December was a risky time to sail.
Nowadays, May is quite cold, sometimes even rainy, sea water barely touching 20 ndegrees mark. But in turn, November even December the weather is very pleasant and the sea is 20-22 degrees until Christmas. (more on Göçek side)
In short, there is nothing to worry in sailing in November even later, provided that you take necessary measures. All what I am saying is regarding the souteastern coast of Turkey. Aegean channel (Mikanos, Santorini, etc.) even Bodrum can be much more windy and you can find 7-8 frequently, if not 8-9 beaufort..

cheers

yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:34   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

based on many years sailing in the med,i have seen many boats wrecked after mid september,less experinced sailors get lulled into a false sense of security with the fairly constant west,north west,and northerly winds of summer.

southerly and easterly winds are the big danger,and tend to come through with little warning,and very quickly become mini gales that every year put boats on the beach in otherwise sheltered anchorages.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:04   #9

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Smile Re: Sailing in the Med in November...?

November is one of the very best times to enjoy the area. naturally listen to the local forcast and you will be OK. Ifact even early Dec is still OK.

Peter
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 23:08   #10

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Late October and all of November was great for sailing in the Fethiye area last autumn. Only a few squalls passed through and none lasted more than a few hours. Who knows what this upcoming October and November will bring, but last year was great.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 00:33   #11

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

I have sailed many times, in the Med, in the last week of October (it is usually a school holiday week in the UK). It can be magnificent or it can be horrible or somewhere in between. Bit like Portland, Maine, when I was there last August Give it a try.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing