Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:33   #1

Sailing in the Cyclades

I am heading the Cyclades for a bareboat charter this June 22 - July 3. "Beneteau 500" and others have be nice enough to help me with some Local Knowledge. I was hoping some others could also give their opinion.

As background, the boat I am getting is a Beneteau 54. It draws about 2.3 meters and has a bow thruster. I am a fair boat handler (I used to run 35 - 50 ft boats in SoCal as well as being the second on a few Sleds and a Maxi) and I have previous Med Moored a Beneslow (although only a handful of times). I am generally counting on Northerly winds, but I understand they can still be variable this time of year.

1. In the Little Cyclades, I am planning on stopping at Iraklia and Koufonisi. Are these good choices in that group? Are there anchorages you recommend out of the town docks?

2. I have been told there are caves suitable for snorkeling in the south part of Naxos. Are you familiar with them? Are they worth the stop and is the anchorage suitable (depending on the prevailing winds) for an overnight?

3. Is there enough depth in the Paros / Anti Paros channel for a 2.3 meter draft? I get conflicting answers on that one. Seems there are some well positioned rocks to hit.

4. I am planning on stopping at Amorgos. Is it worth the trip and any recommendations there, especially if I want to move the boat out of the town?

5. I am taking the boat to Thira (Santorini). Do you know if the entrance to the marina at Vlikadha (South end of the Island) has been dredged? Can I get a 2.3 meter draft in there? Heikell’s Guide is all over the place on this. The Guide basically says count on 1.8 meters max but his website update indicates that if it has been dredged, maybe I can count on just more than 2.5 meters. In the alternative, I have been told I can tuck up on Perssia Beach. Is that correct (wind direction favorable, of course). Lastly as to Thira, can I try and tuck up behind the breakwall on Monolithos Beach?

6. Do you have any information on wireless phone and/or data coverage? Good or bad reception in the area?

7. As to weather at night, do I need my crew to bring wind cheaters, sweatshirts, etc. enough for the entire time or just a stray night or two? In other words, how cold is it at night and is it cold every night.

8. Do you have any tips on Med Mooring? I generally deploy the anchor on the early side so I am not in line with the others to prevent hooking or getting hooked.

9. Lastly, is Alex still at Afros Marine Service in Paros?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 00:12   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
We will be there the same time as you!

We are thinking/planning:
Clearing in Siros then Serifos, Snifos, Paros / Antiparos, then Ios to take a ferry to Thira.

We were talking to people yesterday that have been into Vlikadha on Thira. It wasn't very deep. Lots of reefs to be careful of, reports of silting depths of 2 meters. He said they ran aground in sloshy mud and powered though. That was a 38 foot boat.
Its then a infrequent bus ride to Santorini.
So we want to do the ferry warfe and go up the hill by donkey and walk down. The donkey ride is going to be rather expensive me thinks. Oh well, its gotta be done

After Ios we will head to Monemvasia on the mainland before clearing out in Pilos.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 14:29   #3

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
Hi Neil and mark answer to Q 1 - the little Cyclades Islands are great and very good anchorages there Q 2 great under water Cave snorkling/ diving at kalantos southern end of naxos and good shelter if wind ok but if not duck back to little ilrakia Q 3 yes its ok through there have charts out and watch for little car passenger ferry crossing Q4 Amorgos is worth the visit very much so Q5 forget vlikadha moor up on bouy in caldera or go around to perrisa beach Q6 i have had no probs hooking up to wifi and you can get sims from cosmote or tim phone providers Q7 well the weather has been pretty weird lately rain today and yes it does cool down but not that bad but it is always advisable to carry a jumper Q8 go with your instincts but not to early Q9 yes i still think so ,

and mark dont leave yacht at Iso not much room and when ferrys come in you will get a lot of wash and port police dont care if your yacht gets knocked about leave at naxos a lot safer catch fast ferries or slow ferries there .

dale
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 14:35   #4

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
ps this web site is a good source for info on the greek Islands also aegean-marinas. eu
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:38   #5

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Suggestions

As has been posted already, you'll not get into Vlikadha with 2.3m draft and none of the other mooring/anchorage options at Santorini are comfortable, even in light weather; they're positively grim if it blows! Secondly, you don't say where you're chartering from, but I note you're only out for a week; it can be a long hard sail back north from Santorini in anything other than settled/light weather.

We did a day-trip to Santorini from Noussa (NE corner of Paros) arranged via one of the Travel Agents in the village for about €50 each; we were collected/returned by taxi to a small harbour on the east coast where we caught a fast-cat ferry (I think it'd come out of Naxos) which whizzed us down to Santorini then taken by coach from the quay for a couple of hours in Oia a tour of the island and another couple of hours in Thira town, before being returned to Noussa; given the 20-30 knot southerlies which blew for the whole week, we thought it one of our better decisions of the season.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 13:17   #6

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
I'd back up the others suggesting taking the yacht to Santorini is a risk simply not worth taking.
We parked ours in Ios (and if you go in on the smaller town wharf as opposed to the bigger new pontoon you'll not get enough ferry wash to worry about) and took the slow boat down.
In 2007 it took the ferry 2 hours - cost 13 euros return pp - hire car from port was 30 euros for a day - and we stayed over one night in a cheapo hotel. Well worth sitting through the sunset with a chilled glass viewing from the cliff top. And not worrying about the boat.
JOHN
Old 20-06-2010, 06:59   #7

Boat: Oyster 485
Send a message via Skype™ to sobriyah
Vlikhada - we got in there with a 2.2m draught in 2006 with about 0.3 under the keel. The bottom is soft mud so if you do touch, you should be able to motor through it. No problem getting a taxi to Thira, which was full of cruise ship passengers, but still stunning.

I did not like the look of the buoy at Thira, it's designed for cruise ships.

Amorgos was a nice stop too, and particularly Naoussa on Naxos.

Med mooring with a bow thruster is no problem once you have done it once or twice, just make sure you drop the hook upwind. Unfortunately, getting your anchor pulled up by one of the neighbours is an all too frequent occurrance.
sobriyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 08:21   #8
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Currently June 20 -Vlikhada shallowest depth is 9.5 feet about 100 feet inside the entrance-and over 10 feet in most areas, stay near the north side of entrence- the south side is being dredged now-its easy and safe inlet- as you approach do not go east of the marina as there is a sandbar forming and 2 weeks ago a inverted cone mooring buoy was placed at the bar – about 300 yards out- there is free wifi at the marina, 15 euro a night for the marina, the water is not very good- 2 bus a day to anywhere on the island or rent a car for 20 Euros right above the marina- You can pick up a free mooring under Oia and walk up the steps-
there are some decent snorkeling place if the wind is not blowing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SnorkelingGreece 060.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	471.7 KB
ID:	17228   Click image for larger version

Name:	SnorkelingGreece 3.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	17229  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SnorkelingGreece 074.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	421.7 KB
ID:	17230   Click image for larger version

Name:	SnorkelingGreece 2.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	17231  

Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 08:35   #9
Long Range Cruiser

where exactly did you take those photos?

Mark

Old 20-06-2010, 08:40   #10
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
where exactly did you take those photos?

Mark
Just south west of Santroni
Old 20-06-2010, 08:52   #11
Long Range Cruiser

It looks fantastic.

We will be there in a few weeks.
Just waiting for the visa time shedule we have set up to start. Its totally stupid
We are just sitting here twiddling thinmbs waiting.

Oh well, if ya gotta wait this is a wonderful place to do it

Nisos Khristiana?

Mark

Old 16-06-2011, 08:23   #12
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Sailing in the Cyclades

In Santroni -(Top right of the screen-)At least 1 man died while his family watched as part of a cave home in the side of the crater fell down on him killing him and several Donkeys/mules, some others were injured as well-The man’s wife was behind him and his kids in front of him- all they found was his legs- this happened Mid to late May-

Tags
Cyclades