I am heading the Cyclades
for a bareboat charter
this June 22 - July 3. "Beneteau 500"
and others have be nice enough to help me with some Local Knowledge. I was hoping some others could also give their opinion.
As background, the boat I am getting is a Beneteau
54. It draws about 2.3 meters and has a bow thruster. I am a fair boat handler (I used to run 35 - 50 ft boats in SoCal as well as being the second on a few Sleds and a Maxi) and I have previous Med Moored a Beneslow (although only a handful of times). I am generally counting on Northerly winds, but I understand they can still be variable this time of year.
1. In the Little Cyclades
, I am planning on stopping at Iraklia and Koufonisi. Are these good choices in that group? Are there anchorages
you recommend out of the town docks?
2. I have been told there are caves suitable for snorkeling in the south part of Naxos. Are you familiar with them? Are they worth the stop and is the anchorage suitable (depending on the prevailing winds) for an overnight?
3. Is there enough depth
in the Paros / Anti Paros channel for a 2.3 meter draft
? I get conflicting answers on that one. Seems there are some well positioned rocks to hit.
4. I am planning on stopping at Amorgos. Is it worth the trip and any recommendations there, especially if I want to move the boat out of the town?
5. I am taking the boat to Thira (Santorini). Do you know if the entrance to the marina at Vlikadha (South end of the Island) has been dredged? Can I get a 2.3 meter draft
in there? Heikellís Guide is all over the place on this. The Guide basically says count on 1.8 meters max but his website update indicates that if it has been dredged, maybe I can count on just more than 2.5 meters. In the alternative, I have been told I can tuck up on Perssia Beach. Is that correct (wind direction favorable, of course). Lastly as to Thira, can I try and tuck up behind the breakwall on Monolithos Beach?
6. Do you have any information on wireless phone
and/or data coverage? Good or bad reception
in the area?
7. As to weather
at night, do I need my crew to bring wind
cheaters, sweatshirts, etc. enough for the entire time or just a stray night or two? In other words, how cold is it at night and is it cold every night.
8. Do you have any tips on Med Mooring
? I generally deploy the anchor
on the early side so I am not in line with the others to prevent hooking or getting hooked.
9. Lastly, is Alex still at Afros Marine Service
Thanks in advance for any responses.