Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2018, 11:07   #1

Sailing in Greece late April till end of May - Athens, round Peloponnese, Corfu...

Dear fellow sailors,

always tricky to post a new questions, I dare to do so after a little research about sailing in Greece within the forum.

My plan so far is to start a sailing adventure from Athens, go south east, round Peloponnese, visit some islands along the way, towards Lefkada, then Corfu, and via Corinth Canal back to Athens.

My questions to the advanced and Greek experienced sailors are:

1. The clockwise direction, is that a good thing to do?
2. What stops would you recommend and why (scenic stops, islands, bays, all the good stuff)?
3. How long would you think this journey is easily made (in weeks) and where would you put stops to change crew?
4. What places would you avoid and why?
5. Where can you stop for water refill the water tanks (free water or recommend)?
6. What dangers do you need to recon with, where, when and why?
7. What is the best pilot book you would recommend for that specific route (name, link, are you selling)?

Feel free to quote my questions and answer in between. The rough route planning looks like this: Greece Round Peloponnese

I am happy to get hints and tips but please keep the questions in mind, thanks in advance and a beer for great tips if you are there at the same time!

Have a great time,
Uwe
SailingUwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 21:06   #2

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Sailing in Greece late April till end of May - Athens, round Peloponnese, Corfu..

Invest in Heikel's pilot. All your questions answered there.
Old 18-12-2018, 03:19   #3

Boat: Jenneau 45.2
Re: Sailing in Greece late April till end of May - Athens, round Peloponnese, Corfu..

South from Athens;
Poros
Ermioni
Astros/Navpolon(water at Astros)
Leonodon(water)
Monivasio. A must visit.
Most of that can be done with a mostly North is wind. Going N to or S from Navpolon down the Poloponese Coast the winds can be from theN am a lull then from the S pm

The Ionian islands are very beautiful but can get very crowded.

The Gulf Of Corinth once past the bridge going E is a gem of a crussing area, take some time to explore and not just pass through. Corinth is a buissy city but a poor harbour for yachts.

As said a above Rod Heikel’s cruising guide will give you all the information you need.

Enjoy.
Jenneau Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 06:52   #4

Dear Jenneau Owner, thanks very much for your reply! I want to clarify, because I could not find following of your suggestions, I also googled it but could not get any results, can you please verify?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenneau Owner View Post
Leonodon(water)
Monivasio. A must visit.
As said a above Rod Heikell
Enjoy.
Also when it comes to Heikell's books, he has quite a bunch, which specific one would you recommend?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenneau Owner View Post
As said a above Rod Heikell
Enjoy.
Thanks you very much and merry Christmas!
Uwe
SailingUwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 02:14   #5

Boat: LM 22

I sailed Corfu to Messolonghi last summer with a sailing yacht. While going from Corfu to Athens in a week is doable, you don't leave much room for staying in port due to bad weather etc.

On that trip the most scenic village we stayed in was Paxoi on Paxos.
madsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 21:10   #6

Boat: Lagoon 400

[QUOTE=
Also when it comes to Heikell's books, he has quite a bunch, which specific one would you recommend?

Thanks you very much and merry Christmas!
Uwe[/QUOTE]

Greek Waters Pilot, Rod Heikell, Imray. 13 ed, 2018
As you want to sail around you need the full one, than specific localised guide (like only Ionian).
Old 28-12-2018, 08:40   #7
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingUwe View Post
My plan so far is to start a sailing adventure from Athens, go south east, round Peloponnese, visit some islands along the way, towards Lefkada, then Corfu, and via Corinth Canal back to Athens.

I don't know how much time you spend sailing in Greece all together and where you have been. But, in general, I would have had to sail almost all of the other areas before spending my one month time doing this route.

For me, a better direction from Athens would be up the Evia channel, to the Sporades, then back. It will be a little colder in late April than the Peloponnese, but shouldn't be uncomfortable. Or, I would go through the canal twice in order to spend a month in the Ionian.

My questions to the advanced and Greek experienced sailors are:

1. The clockwise direction, is that a good thing to do?
Sure.
2. What stops would you recommend and why (scenic stops, islands, bays, all the good stuff)?
As others have said, if you get the pilot book it has details on all these areas
3. How long would you think this journey is easily made (in weeks) and where would you put stops to change crew?
Easily? From Athens, around the Pelo to Corfu, and back to Athens - two months minimum if your really going to do the trip justice. 10 days if you don't want to stop anywhere.
4. What places would you avoid and why?
With the wrong winds you would want to avoid all of the Peloponnese except major harbors. It can get pretty nasty.
5. Where can you stop for water refill the water tanks (free water or recommend)?
6. What dangers do you need to recon with, where, when and why?
7. What is the best pilot book you would recommend for that specific route (name, link, are you selling)?

Feel free to quote my questions and answer in between. The rough route planning looks like this: Greece Round Peloponnese

I am happy to get hints and tips but please keep the questions in mind, thanks in advance and a beer for great tips if you are there at the same time!

Have a great time,
Uwe
Good luck with the trip.

Edit: Just pulled up your google earth route. You will have to add two extra weeks on to do the Cyclades portion. Also, be really careful about going to Thera - It's only harbor is not good. There are quite a few threads here about it. Almost had severe damage to Palarran there 4 years ago.
Old 29-12-2018, 04:01   #8

Boat: Jenneau 45.2

Your plan does sound a little ambitious.

If you want to do the Ionian why bother chartering from Athens ? There are thousands of charter boats available in Corfu, Levkas etc.

Depending on the length of your trip choose an area such as Cycldies, from Mykonos.
The Saronic Gulf inc E side of Peloponnesus , from Athens or Poros.
The Ionian from Levkas or Corfu.
Sporades from Skiathos.

Rember you can get some very strong head winds particularly in the Agean side.

Your proposed trip would be a full seasons sailing for many people.

The Rod Heikel Greek cruissing guide can be easily bought on line and your charter boat will almost certainly have one on board.
Jenneau Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:45   #9

Hi Jenneau owner,

Just thought I could help with a few of those questions as we have sailed the last 3/4 months in Greece crossing the cyclades, going through the Corinth to Corfu in the Ionian. Firstly we loved the Ionian and Cyclades, you will have a great trip.

1. We purchased Heikel, it made planning easy!
2. We filled up with our jerry cans mostly, Restaurants we ate at or supermarkets we bought from would help us out in return. Not a fun process with many trips if you aren't going into marina's, if you are going to marina's water is readily available/town quays.
3. We found some bad weather at the Northern end of the Corinth, gusting off the mountains, but like all things check the weather regularly and plan ahead regarding anchorages. We found the Ionian fantastic, well sheltered, but in peek season anchorages may be harder to find with the masses.
4. We loved Paxos (Lakka anchorage) water so blue! The bays of Ithaca and Meganisi were beautiful (will link some appropriate travel vids below).
5. If you are going to the Cyclades make sure you are checking winds often, large seas and strong winds often.
6. We went to Thira, didn't stay due to few options anchoring. We floated in the bay for a couple of hours but had been to land previously and anchored in Ios about 12nm away. Anchorage on the vid.

Hope this helps and have a great trip.

1. Paxos and Corfu -
2. Ithaca and Meganisi -
3. Corinth Canal -
4. Milos -
5. Santorini -
chook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Greece, mediterranean, sail, sailing, sailing vessel