Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2016, 01:34   #1

Boat: B45f5
Sailing Greek Ionian and refugees 2016

Hi any updates on how sailing in the Ionian May be affected by the influx of refugees into Greece in 2016 season. a bit of a difficult topic to get information on the situation in western Greece.
One concern is what to do should you come across a boat load of people off shore claiming need for assistance. (Perhaps obvious answer but I consider family and vessel safety first) also how actions may be viewed under Greek law?
Roaring 40s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:39   #2

Re: Sailing Greek Ionian and refugees 2016

LOL

Look at the map, the Ionian is no where near the refugees.

Just plan on treating any refugees you find in the Ionian in the same way you would treat refugees when sailing of Freo.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:20   #3

Boat: B45f5

Yep know where it is.
The port of Patras is close by and has been described as the Calais of Greece.

I reckon if they make it to Freo they should let them in and give them a job in customs.
Roaring 40s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:37   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
LOL

Look at the map, the Ionian is no where near the refugees.

Just plan on treating any refugees you find in the Ionian in the same way you would treat refugees when sailing of Freo.
It is not refugees travelling from Turkey that are the concern, but refugees from Greece . With the closure of the northern border there has been some talk regarding the potential for Greek traffickers to transport some of the 50,000+ refugees currently stranded in Greece over to Italy.

Comments from locals on the affected islands near Turkey are that the Greeks are just as involved as the Turks with transport .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:55   #5

Even if refugees were to be setting off from North Western Greece, the Ionian cruising grounds are only the first couple of miles of a 60+ nm journey and the likelihood that they will be be requiring assistance or anything else from cruisers in the Ionian cruising grounds that could cause concern is quite frankly laughable

Worrying about this is like the paranoia about Greece for tourists during the bailout issues last year
Old 12-04-2016, 04:34   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-134000.html

And ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...an-153243.html

And ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...go-154369.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:21   #7

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I think a skipper's duty towards "refugees" is straightforward. Report their situation and location to the authorities. If you judge them to be a threat to your boat, back off a few miles before radioing. If they are in imminent danger and you see them as a threat you have a tough decision. As long as they are afloat I would not approach. If they attempt to approach me, I would take that as hostile intent and back off. I would never tie up. If in the water I would board small children only and throw flotation aids to the adults and teens and pray the authorities hurry up.
If they were all in cool water and the authorities were hours away I don't know what I would do but I suspect self preservation would win out..
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:43   #8

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey DS43

We've been sailing the area last year that is the coast of Turkey between the Greek islands of Thassos in the north and Rhodos in the south where most of the crossings occurred in the last 2 to 3 years. We a are leaving this weekend from Marmaris to the same sailing grounds. We have seen many crossing and were on a collision course with two of them. We with nested a departure during the night of two boats carrying 50 mirgants each with women kids and babies. We never end felt fear simply because theise migrants are after freedom. The last thing they need is to commit a crime that would quickly be reported to coast guards. We are a short hand crew on. 43' sail boat. My wife and I have agreed on a protocol in cas of emergency with people in the water. We agreed that under no circumstances we would take them on board for safety reason. However we would through them our lifevests, leave them our dinghy and call the coast guards with a MOB position. The criminal that arranged the crossing is usually not on board so chances of a highjacking is unlikely. Nonetheless we would use our Greek or Turkish phone to call the coast guards since those interceptions occur no more than 5 nm from either an island or the coast.
Chalifour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:43   #9

Go. The media, by nature, promotes fear--and, as author John Irving has observed, gives great disaster. Tourism is down in Greece and Turkey so deals are everywhere. The working locals are supreme hosts and will more than gracious to travelers. I just returned from the Greek islands and Kusadasi Turkey and would return in a heartbeat.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:53   #10

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

I don't think it's the wife and kids in the immigrant hordes that people are worrying about..... It's those 20 something year old males of military age with an arrogant look about them that worries most people.
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:10   #11

Boat: Bavaria Ocean 38

Sailed the Ionian for 3 months last year and heading out there next week for this season. Only difference I've noticed is an increase in boats in the area as others move away from the Aegean and Dodecanese areas.
heywoodp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:44   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by heywoodp View Post
Only difference I've noticed is an increase in boats in the area as others move away from the Aegean and Dodecanese areas.
Now that is something to be genuinely concerned about as the anchorages are normally crowded enough.

Maybe we need to start posting on Italian sailing forums about immigrant problems in the Ionian to reduce the Italian hoard this summer 😜

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-04-2016, 12:06   #13

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

I guess that's why people go sailing... "The world is too friggin crowded." That's how wars start. Overpopulation. Do you think that Muslim Countries would be so unstable if their populations were half what they are today?
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 17:29   #14

(Perhaps obvious answer but I consider family and vessel safety first) also how actions may be viewed under Greek law?

In my books, I go first. Call for assistance and advise the refugees that help is on the way, then distance yourself. Think of the capacity of your vessel and you will soon find out that you cannot take on many people. I would not want to be invaded and overtaken and be powerless to act if you needed to defend yourself and your family.
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 17:59   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfarmer View Post
I guess that's why people go sailing... "The world is too friggin crowded." That's how wars start. Overpopulation. Do you think that Muslim Countries would be so unstable if their populations were half what they are today?
Wars generally start over religious and/or nationalistic issues, or economic interests such as furs, minerals, gold, and silver, and now oil resources. That's just plain silly.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ionian, sail, sailing