Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2016, 14:05   #1

Boat: n/a
Safe anchor near Shipwreck Bay, Greece

I will be sailing around Kefalonia in Sept. I want to visit Shipwreck Bay in the early morning before the big boats come and kill the serenity. Can anyone recommend a nearby anchorage or port that would be a good overnight stay close enough to get to Shipwreck Bay in the early morning?
bornplaydie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 10:39   #2

Boat: Grand Banks 50
Re: Safe anchor near Shipwreck Bay, Greece

Agios Nikolaos is close by. You can anchor outside the port, just south of the islet at the entrance, or tie up to the concrete pier in the port itself. Avoid the ferry mooring space.

Nasty swells can enter the harbour of Agios Nikolaos from the NE so be watchful in unsettled weather. The anchorage just outside is protected from the NE, though.

You could also consider Vromi which is even closer but quite small.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...1&d=1463765950
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shipwreck.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	124613  
Xlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 11:14   #3

You can anchor off Alkyes if it's the normal conditions of the prevailing NW and it's going to calm down after dark.

I went into Vromi and there is very limited anchoring possibilities, so I suspect you'll be lucky to get a spot. I'd only try that if you have the time to go to the other side of the island after lucking out on a spot.

If you have a no wind day and the forecast is for the same overnight there is perhaps reason why you couldn't stay the night in Shipwreck bay.

Also if there are winds like there are today, then it also is probably ok to stay there.

If I was to stay overnight I'd anchor in the middle and then move to the west side in the morning just in case the day trippers start arriving
Old 20-05-2016, 21:09   #4

Boat: n/a

Thanks for the replies and the heads up on Vromi. That was my initial plan based on the maps. Didn't realize it was so small. Guess I will have to play it by ear based on the wind forecasts. Will also ping the local knowledge. Thanks again.
bornplaydie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 03:14   #5

I was offered one of the unused mooring in Vromi on the left side of the bay upon entering. Easy to see through the crystal clear water to the large chains across the bay the mooring are attached to. Several yachts went stern to with line ashore in the heads of the bay. There was a small snack bar operating in the early evening.

Shipwreck bay was a rolly day anchorage even after several days of light winds. Well worth the visit and so are the cliffs and caves on SW tip of Zakinthos.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
azul_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 03:53   #6

Boat: FP Helia 44 Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornplaydie View Post
Thanks for the replies and the heads up on Vromi. That was my initial plan based on the maps. Didn't realize it was so small. Guess I will have to play it by ear based on the wind forecasts. Will also ping the local knowledge. Thanks again.
Hi, what did you end up doing? We are sailing in the area and want to see Shipwreck Bay too.
FlyTheCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 11:00   #7

I used the mooring with no shoreline. No wind, no problems.
azul_b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Greece, shipwreck