Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2007, 14:18   #1

Boat: Ensenada 20
Question Permit required to climb a tree???

Just read the article about the 14 year old English boy that sailed single handed across the Atlantic.

He was quoted as saying "a safety certificate is required to climb a tree in England?"

Can this be true??????????!!!!!!!!!
Lightfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 14:47   #2
bru

Depends on the tree climbing

If you're talking about kids climbing trees, no certificate is required - although no doubt there'd be hordes of bleating nannies (unfortunately human rather than goat, although one wonders sometimes) gabbling on about the dangers inherent in kids being allowed to climb trees

If you're talking about professional tree surgeons it's like everything else, if you ain't got a bit of paper signed by some so called expert that says "this numpty can tie his shoe laces" you ain't allowed to wear boots

The wider picture is that there's a serious issue of people not being allowed to take risks anymore. The nanny state is all to real.
Old 03-01-2007, 15:03   #3
cruiser

Don't worry, we're catching up fast. We're already a "nagging aunt" state.

Cheers!
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 15:32   #4

Bru,

Never heard the term "numpty" before and had Google it. Thanks for the word.... Halarious!

Among other hits...

1. Numpty

Scottish usage:
a) Someone who (sometimes unwittingly) by speech or action demonstrates a lack of knowledge or misconception of a particular subject or situation to the amusement of others.

b) A good humoured admonition, a term of endearment

c) A reckless, absent minded or unwise person
a) "No. That wisnae wit she meant, ya big numpty!"

b) i.e. "Silly billy", "You big dafty"

c) "That numpty's driving with no lights on!"

===============================================
Numpty first surfaced on the terraces of west of Scotland football grounds, many many years ago. A player who couldn't hit a cow's arse with a shovel would be a f*****g numpty.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 21:58   #5
bru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S
Bru,

Never heard the term "numpty" before and had Google it. Thanks for the word.... Halarious!
Wonderful language English innit!
Old 04-01-2007, 01:03   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Michael Perham became the youngest person (14) to sail solo across the Atlantic Ocean Wednesday morning (Jan.3/07), docking in Antigua more than six weeks after his his 28-foot sailboat, the “Cheeky Monkey” (a Tide28, jointly designed between Michael, his Dad and Nigel Harley), left Gibraltar.
Perham said he was lonely at times but not afraid as he made the crossing. "It feels absolutely fantastic being back on dry land, absolutely brilliant," Michael Perham told BBC News.
Mike’s website: Home

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:31   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfin
Just read the article about the 14 year old English boy that sailed single handed across the Atlantic.

He was quoted as saying "a safety certificate is required to climb a tree in England?"

Can this be true??????????!!!!!!!!!

Yes. But fortunately for you I am a fully licensed examiner for UK Tree Climbing, so if you want a licence, please feel free to PM me to book a course and an exam.

Special Rates for folk from overseas.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:38   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha All,
When the story hit the news here it was said that his father was sailing behind him in another boat. Did anyone else hear that? How do you spell the plural of numpty?
Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:04   #9
Armchair Bucketeer

This side of the world that was well known, the pre trip "controversy" was that dad is the designer of the boat and that he was basically putting his kid at risk for a pubilicity stunt. (Not sure what help Dad would have / could been in a blow, but could have been a help if she "just" sprung a leak or the mast fell off for no real reason).

Me? I am 50 / 50 on this, I like to think that Dad being the designer just gave the kid an opportunity that most don't get (even if able at 14).....whatever Dad's motives, which probably more than just giving the kid an opportunity - but perhaps nothing totally wrong with that??.

At 14 I was [CENSORED] and [CENSORED], with a bit of [CENSORED] thrown in - so who am I to criticise the kid?
Old 04-01-2007, 11:06   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn
How do you spell the plural of numpty?
"Welsh"
Old 04-01-2007, 13:20   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Thanks David!! LOL

You wouldn't have wanted to see me in my 50 foot banyan a couple of years ago. It is now in parts and pieces with the main stump 8 feet in diameter. I'll never do that again.

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 15:23   #12
bru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn
Aloha All,
When the story hit the news here it was said that his father was sailing behind him in another boat. Did anyone else hear that? How do you spell the plural of numpty?
Regards,
JohnL
Numpties? Numptys? Hmmm, not sure! (Definitely not Welsh 'cos one of my best friends is from that wonderful country and she's bigger than me!)

As for the Tide28, what puzzles me is how the boat is supposed to have been RCD certified for ocean sailing when the production version is CE Cat. B Offshore. There's no info on any modifications on the web site (and oddly, no mention of the excercise on the Tide28 web site at all)

Never the less, it's a fine achievement and young Mike deserves to be congratulated.
Old 10-01-2007, 14:59   #13

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi LIghtfin,
We're in the UK and just had a tree surgeon in to remove some top branches, and he did not know what certificate the youngster was talking about.......
But in the land of the truly free (Australia) I can verify you need a permit to be a house painter. Work that one out.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 11-01-2007, 02:59   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See also “New UK Boatmasters License” at: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ense-6494.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 14:22   #15
cruiser

It's called "Personal Empire building " By the bureacrats who administer the licensing and who governemnts get all their advice from.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
permit