Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-06-2011, 10:10   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 42 catamaran
Re: Overwintering in France, Spain, Portugal

Hi folks.

Am enjoying this thread but there is one aspect that hasn't been covered: weather!

We have just sailed across from the Caribbean and, having had three weeks of grey skies and drizzle/rain in the Azores we have recognised that we are allergic to COLD and WET.

So, here we are in Portugal. In Sines at the moment.

Now, the big question is, where do we go from here? In particular, where do we go for the winter? The original plan was to stay in Europe and cruise the Med, but it occurs to us that first we have to get through the winter.

So, does anyone have suggestions on where we might spend the winter and NOT freeze our butts off - and also not have the wet cold that makes everything on the boat damp and impossible to dry out?

Or do we need to invest in a heater for the boat?

Any possibilities in North Africa?

Or should we just head south again and go back to the tropics???? But it would be a shame to miss out on cruising here since we made it over.

BTW, definition of cold and wet means having to wear sweaters and coats, having condensation in the cabins at night, and being unable to dry things on a washing line.

Looking forward to your suggestions!

Life is too short to live in ugly places.
LifePart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 11:04   #32

Boat: Fountain Pajot Lipari 40' Maestro - Seehund

i can recommend u in the southern spain 2 marinas frm my own experience=
1 Almerimar [failed development, but large marina, cheap]
2 Valencia Juan Carlos marina [America's cup marina, but Valencia has lost the A cup since a few years again, but very large and well organised marina, very reasonable rates, good service. near to city, Valencibi (bikes for rent system) 10 Euros/week or even cheaper long term.
a heater is in the med a must, but it can be an 220V electric heater as u hv good shore power.
the med is definitifely worth seeing, there is soooo much to see & do!
by the way i found Cartagena very interesting, however the new marina is not so cheap.
wish u always a hand of water under ur keel...
john

Old 25-06-2011, 11:07   #33
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The canaries reasonablely inexpensive marinas. Good low cost food and drink , nice people. All round temp about 26 degrees C. Try the Marina in San Sebastian on La Gomera or the major cities on the other islands

Dave
Old 07-07-2011, 02:00   #34

Guardiano is good and free if you have heat on th boat. There is a new marina near Gibraltar in La Linea, not too cold and 10min walk to Gib and airport with flights to uk.I paid 280euro/mth for 12m monohull.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:04   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jos444cars View Post
i can recommend u in the southern spain 2 marinas frm my own experience=
1 Almerimar [failed development, but large marina, cheap]
2 Valencia Juan Carlos marina [America's cup marina, but Valencia has lost the A cup since a few years again, but very large and well organised marina, very reasonable rates, good service. near to city, Valencibi (bikes for rent system) 10 Euros/week or even cheaper long term.
a heater is in the med a must, but it can be an 220V electric heater as u hv good shore power.
the med is definitifely worth seeing, there is soooo much to see & do!
by the way i found Cartagena very interesting, however the new marina is not so cheap.
wish u always a hand of water under ur keel...
john
What are the haul out facilities like there. I m thinking of leaving the boat on the hard next winter.
Old 11-07-2011, 15:13   #36

Boat: hillyard 12 tonner

we are on our way to guadiana in Potugal from Italy to winter there is any one else going there?
itdave5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 16:39   #37

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifePart2 View Post
Now, the big question is, where do we go from here? In particular, where do we go for the winter? The original plan was to stay in Europe and cruise the Med, but it occurs to us that first we have to get through the winter.

So, does anyone have suggestions on where we might spend the winter and NOT freeze our butts off - and also not have the wet cold that makes everything on the boat damp and impossible to dry out?

Or do we need to invest in a heater for the boat?

Any possibilities in North Africa?
Thought i'd add my own experence as I spent the last winter in Southern Spain as a liveaboard.

Sure, you will get some rain and you'll need to wear a jacket in the evening but on the whole, it was no hardship. Although it's obviously alot more unsettled than the rest of the year, when the skies do clear it can still be very pleasant. I remember having a friend over in the first week of Jan this year and it was shorts and t-shirt weather!

A heater it a good idea to keep the chill out in the evenings, I used one of those electric oil filled radiators in the main cabin (which was quite large as it was a 15meter motoryacht) and was never cold once it was on.

N Africa is not a bad idea either. Will certainly be cheaper than Southern Spain and DEFFINATELY a good idea if you need any work doing while you're laid up. Marina Smir in Morocco is nice and you can get skilled workers for as little as 20-30 Euros per day.

Don't write off Tunisia either. I spoke to a couple recently that had just come from there and it seems all the troubles are dieing down by the day. In fact, they told me that in the tourest areas on the coast, it's busness as normal and you'd never know there had been any trouble. The marinas there are top quality and will be offering some very good deals to get the tourist boats back. I'm strongly considering wintering there myself.
Old 28-07-2011, 10:54   #38

Boat: Lagoon 42#17

Hi LifePart2 - if you want the best/warmest weather in winter in Europe, try the Algarve just around the corner. I would be there myself if I would not have had to be in S France. Cat friendly - if you are staying on the boat - the lagoon at Faro, good flights there too to explore around Europe if you get bored. Portimao rumoured to be cat friendly (same price as monohull alledgedly).

Goboatingnow Dave - what would you recommend for winter in the water in S France ? Apart from the big secret that is.
Old 29-07-2011, 02:11   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 42 catamaran

Thanks Brainmaker (and others),

We are actually planning to go down to the Algarve next week, so will check it out there.

Noel

Life is too short to live in ugly places.
LifePart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 03:28   #40

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

I stopped off at Portimao in the Algarve last week and thought it looked very nice. The marina is very well sheltered and also has a lovely anchorage on the other side of the estury inside the breakwater.
Old 29-07-2011, 04:14   #41

Boat: Lagoon 420

Almerimar was great fun when I wintered there. But that was a number of years ago. If you want a little better weather, run down to the Canaries. Lot of nice areas and things to do, food to eat and wine to drink.
Old 29-07-2011, 04:41   #42

Boat: Bavaria, Cruiser, 42
Send a message via MSN to syahead Send a message via Skype™ to syahead

I used Almerimar for more than 4 months last year including kitting the boat for the ARC2010. I had fantastic help from Gard from boatgard.net

Best, friendliest - and cheapest - place on the entire south facing coast in Portugal & Spain. Number two in my scoreboard is Fuengirola - but almost double the price in summer (was last year).

And the temp now is as high as in Caribia.

You can find lots of pictures from Almerimar, Fuengirola etc on my boat site

All the best,
Allan
syahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 06:14   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

[QUOTE=simonmd;730080]Thought i'd add my own experence as I
N Africa is not a bad idea either. Will certainly be cheaper than Southern Spain and DEFFINATELY a good idea if you need any work doing while you're laid up. Marina Smir in Morocco is nice and you can get skilled workers for as little as 20-30 Euros per day.

Thumbs up to Simon┤s idea of Marina Smir in Morocco, its about a 2 hour sail east of Ceuta, very modern, a great Tea Room and there is a bar that sells ĘBeerĘ, Its like a trip back to the 70s with a DJ falling over himself to play u the right Barry White songs, Velvet sofas and free Tapas with every drink, great barmaid callled Sami..the locals visit almost daily as do the schools, expect to have your photo taken often on your boat, there is also a guy who brings a camel INSIDE the bar!! Labour is cheap and the marina has a good hard area to work on.....
Old 29-07-2011, 23:43   #44

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
I stopped off at Portimao in the Algarve last week and thought it looked very nice. The marina is very well sheltered and also has a lovely anchorage on the other side of the estury inside the breakwater.
100% agree the Algave is nice and that anchorage looks pretty - but it has not got a reputation for good holding. Only tried it ourselves when day sailing and can confirm we had difficulties also.

A story we were told was that a few years back the guys running Portimao Marina came out to pre-warn some long term anchored boats of an approaching storm - actually offering them safe haven for the duration. A nice gesture.

Cheers
JOHN
Old 29-01-2012, 06:12   #45

Just a note for Cat owners looking at this thread. Portimao marina charges the same price as monohulls for overwintering and are cheaper than any of the Spanish marinas offering the same deal. The staff are great. They want your business! You can take your boat, work on it and live on it in the nearby hard area.
Overall a super place to overwinter with lots of warm sunshine.

Tags
France, Portugal, Spain, france, spain, portugal

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: