Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-08-2013, 09:17   #1

Over ambitious Croatian itinerary?

Hi all,
After a break of 15 years sailing, my family are now grown up enough for us to yacht charter again (yayyy!). My wife has planned the itinerary but it looks a little ambitious to me (bearing in mind the kids have never sailed before). Any advice warmly welcome. She planned the following:
Day 1. Pick up boat in Rogoznica
Day 2. Primosten
Day 3. Skradin (Krka falls)
Day 4. Uvala Vinisce
Day 5. Trogir
Day 6. Solta
Day 7. Brac
Day 8. Stari Grad
Day 10. Hvar
Day 11. Brac
Day 12. Solta
Day 13. Trogir
Day.14. Return boat to Rogoznica

If people think it would make more sense to just go south I'd greatly appreciate you advice. Many thanks

Old 07-08-2013, 01:48   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II
Re: Over ambitious Croatian itinerary?

No it's perfectly doable, the distances are not that great. You may need to allow an extra day for Skradin as if you visit the falls and then sail to Vinisce that is the longest sail of the trip so you may need to shorten that.
If I can offer some advice, a lot of charterers in Rogoznica and Kremik head for Primosten the first night and it is a very small and popular harbour well worth a visit so you will have trouble getting a berth and maybe a buoy so you could have to anchor. You can try booking ahead by phone or change your itinery to visit a different day.
The other factor is weather. There is always a risk of poor weather for a day or so in a fortnight so you will need to be flexible. Both Primosten and Hvar are exposed in some directions and can be very uncomfortable.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:26   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

These places are stone's throw away. Take in as much as you can and do not worry about the rest as they happen to be all the same too. And you can return next season too.

b.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapanui View Post
If I can offer some advice, a lot of charterers in Rogoznica and Kremik head for Primosten the first night and it is a very small and popular harbour well worth a visit so you will have trouble getting a berth and maybe a buoy so you could have to anchor. You can try booking ahead by phone or change your itinery to visit a different day.

Given that, is there any where else you would recommend us stopping enroute to Skradin? Many thanks
Old 07-08-2013, 09:10   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Primosten is well worth a visit, and its one of the places where I make an exception and go alongside because of the lively ambiance with cafe and restaurants a gangplank away and its a lovely walled town. It's just that the harbour is very small, a lot of people book in advance and hence getting a space can be difficult. Give it a miss if its a fresh SE breeze. Alternatives would be Zlarin or Prvic both of which which are directly opposite the Sibenik channel.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:14   #6

Thanks again Rapanui. Very much appreciated. Can't wait!
Old 08-08-2013, 15:32   #7

We're sailing in this area now (anchored just before Hvar). Why stop on Solta and Brac twice? St Clement's (island to sw of Hvar) is delightful and you can choose anchorages for any weather there. Restaurants on the west end serve only what they can source locally. They even make their own vinegar. We really liked hiking the island as well.

Oh, and on the river to Skradin you can buy fresh oysters and mussels. Oysters are excellent there
Old 09-08-2013, 11:42   #8

Thanks so much Katuisha - all fantastic advice. If you have any other recommendations of places to stop / eat then I'd love to hear them.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:40   #9

Boat: none yet :(

I sailed south Adriatic last July (and will do a similar route in late August). I noticed that almost every day the wind died in the middle of the day so we had to use the engine for few hours almost every day. Just to have in mind.
Given that you will be with your kids, I would expect them to want more beach/swimming time than sailing so you should take that into account as well.
I would keep the initial itinerary but have a fall-back plan to skip some places if you want to extend your stay in a particular place.
Sounds like you guys would have a wonderful trip. Enjoy!

Old 09-08-2013, 15:55   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadicamman0 View Post
Thanks so much Katuisha - all fantastic advice. If you have any other recommendations of places to stop / eat then I'd love to hear them.
Glad I could help. Correction to my earlier post - I was talking about restaurants on the mid-South shore of St Clements. We're now on a mooring buoy (marked Paradiso) in the cove on the south side, the one protected by Dobri Otok, waiting out a storm. The buoys are said to be 2.5 t and even in full reverse we couldn't move or part them.

So far we haven't found any restaurant we didn't like (and usually we're picky). The only problem is that they are usually quite expensive compared to other countries.

Oh, there are now two marinas in Trogir: ACI and Baotic. Baotic is slightly out of town and a bit more expensive (15 EUR more for us), but we liked it more. Newer and cleaner facilities, a nice swimming pool and lounging area. And more space. You can catch a water taxi from there to the Old Town.

Imho all these places are similar in being interesting, gorgeous, and with history. So I would agree with Invictus69 - relax, enjoy, and be flexible (or be prepared with diesel) if the weather doesn't cooperate.

Tags
Croatia

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: