Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2007, 19:52   #1

Outfitting a Lagoon in La Rochelle

I will be taking posession of a new Lagoon sailboat in La Rochelle some time in April. The boat was built to US specs and we will be commissioning and sailing the boat in the EU for a year. Any help that I can get regarding equipment purchases and outfitting the boat in La Rochelle would be appreciated. Thanks.

Drew
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 02:02   #2

Boat: Lagoon 420
Drew - if you get no luck here, I suggest you head over to
lagooncatowners : Lagoon Catamaran Owners Group
Old 27-01-2007, 02:13   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
I will be taking posession of a new Lagoon sailboat in La Rochelle some time in April. The boat was built to US specs and we will be commissioning and sailing the boat in the EU for a year. Any help that I can get regarding equipment purchases and outfitting the boat in La Rochelle would be appreciated. Thanks.

Drew
Like what?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 03:18   #4

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Drew, let me suggest you drop over to the SSCA Discussion Board where you can PM Craig Briggs. He & Kathryn spent an off-season in La Rochelle and came to know it well. I'm sure he'd be glad to answer any specific Q's you might have on vendors, installers and the like.

SSCA Discussion Board :: Index

Good luck on the pick-up and prep!

Jack
Old 27-01-2007, 18:25   #5

Thanks for the help! I'll follow up with the links and other websites. If anyone else has any helpful information, I would appreciate your help. Jack, I have visited your very informative site on the web. It has been very helpful. Thanks again.

Drew
Old 29-01-2007, 07:24   #6

Location: Winters: UK, Southampton. Summers, Greece, Finikounda.
Boat: Oyster 406, 12.3m, RAPAZ
You have excellent yacht support facilities in La Rochelle; almost anything you need is obtainable locally. It is also a most delightful town to stay in - especially if you're afloat.

If you want to learn a little more about the different characteristics of various European cruising areas, try my site and the links from it.

JimB
JimB's sail Europe
Compares the cruising areas of Europe, and gives great detail on some.
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 12:54   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
JimB:
I liked your website; but couldn't find any info' on La Rochelle.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 17:24   #8

Thanks Jim. There is a lot of good information on your website. I'll add it to my favorites. Sounds like you have a lot of fun.
Old 29-01-2007, 22:27   #9

Boat: Lagoon 380S2
Send a message via Yahoo to db8us
@Drew,

we will stop by in La Rochelle in April on the way from Netherlands to Portugal.
There is almost everything there what you might need.
What you check in advance if the charger on board your cat is capable of the 230V range also...
Maybe see you there.
Lagoon 380S2 LinoCat
Michael
db8us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 01:59   #10

Location: Winters: UK, Southampton. Summers, Greece, Finikounda.
Boat: Oyster 406, 12.3m, RAPAZ
La Rochelle

Gordmay,

Hey, sorry about that! I'm up dating to advert-free links and I'd forgotten that one or two with adverts in had been deleted!

Here's the missing link -
La Rochelle

JimB
JimB's sail Europe
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 11:19   #11

Thanks Michael,
We are scheduled to take delivery of our Lagoon 420 at the end of April and will probably sail from La Rochelle to the Mediterranean in July. I appreciate the tip on the battery charger. It seems like a good idea since the inverters are already in place. I am not sure if Lagoon has shore power that bypasses the batteries or not. We would look forward to seeing you in La Rochelle or Portugal.
Drew
Old 30-01-2007, 11:20   #12

Jim, that is a great link! Thanks!
Old 07-04-2007, 09:59   #13

Boat: Lagoon 440
We picked up our Lagoon 440 in La Rochelle in May 2006. It is also a US boat. We were in La Rochelle for 2 months, ironing out all of the issues that came along with the new boat.

During that time, we had some modifications made to the boat from Pochon (www.pochon.com): radar, 220V electronic system, watermaker. Also, we got all of our other equipment from Accastillage Diffusion (talk to Thierry Cazaux): dingy, safety equipt, liferaft. Both of these companies were able to bill us without VAT, due to the fact that we exported our boat outside the EU after delivery. We went to the Chanel Islands, which is not part of the EU. Check with your dealer about the export process.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Cathy

JimB - great site! I have been looking for information on Greece. We should be there mid-May.
Twixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 10:28   #14

Thanks Cathy! I am about a month away from taking delivery of the boat from my dealer so I a have many more questions than answers. I appreciate the information. For anyone else following this thread BIship - British India Steam Navigation has a website with prices so you can get an idea of the cost of some of the items compared to US prices.

Cathy, can you tell me if you installed a separate 220v system? We are trying to decide whether we will need to import a 110v microwave, clothes washer/dryer, etc.. What type of watermaker did you choose? Are there any items that you wished you hadn't bothered with or anything you would recommend as essential? I am only going to be in France for about 10 days in May before I return to Hawaii for the final preparation for our voyage. I am planning to return mid June with my family for our year long cruise. Is one month going to be enough time to get everything installed?

I have been overwhelmed by the friendliness and helpfulness of the cruisers. A time may come when I can return the favor.

Thanks and Aloha,

Drew
Old 08-04-2007, 10:32   #15

For some reason bigship.com was translated by the internet to the British India Steam Navigation??? The website noted above is the correct one.

Drew