Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2011, 07:11   #1

Orkney or Shetlands ?

Hello

I am planning a trip from Copenhagen to Reykjavik in the near future and have a couple of questions I need answered before my pilots and cruising guides arrive.

I am wondering if anyone has experience with sailing this route or from Scotland to Iceland. I would like to know if you suggest sailing through the Shetlands or the Orkneys?

Up to this point I am slightly favouring Orkneys to make it as far to the west as possible as early as possible as the winds tend to be predominantly from west and I want to make it to Reykjavik.

I have read to avoid Pentland skerries by going through Skapa flow but cannot find any information about protected harbours or yacht clubs in Skapa if I need to leave the boat for a few days/change crew etc. Or is it better I just avoid Orkney and stop in the Shetlands? and where is a good place to stay?

Thanks all!
Old 24-04-2011, 07:29   #2

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka
Re: Orkney or Shetlands????

Hey
You go up on the cost of Norway to Bergen, then over to Shetland/Lervik. then on to Island, just time it all up against the Low pressures comming .
And you can always go up to "orkenøy" if it getts very bad. there is plenty of fjords to seek shelter. Just use G.Earth and zoom in to make your plans.

Ha en god tur.
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 08:39   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiles View Post
I am wondering if anyone has experience with sailing this route or from Scotland to Iceland. I would like to know if you suggest sailing through the Shetlands or the Orkneys?
We have sailed Scotland to Iceland, stopping in the faroes. Both Shetland and Orkney's are to the east of that route and just add distance, but it would be different if you were coming from Norway.

We had nice weather on both legs. They are short enough that if you just wait a bit you can get a perfect weather window.

By the way, if you can, make landfall on the Iceland east coast. The fjords there are the most spectacular part of Iceland - more more attractive than Reykjavik.

If you do any of the Faroes, Shetland, Orkeny's you should have a current atlas - the currents are very strong and can cause serious difficulty if you get them wrong.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 14:08   #4

Thanks all!!! do you know what towns or yacht clubs t stop at in the orkneys or shetlands?
Old 25-04-2011, 09:05   #5

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiles View Post
Thanks all!!! do you know what towns or yacht clubs t stop at in the orkneys or shetlands?
In your position I would make a decision later, based on the weather pattern at the time.

For Orkney, go to Kirkwall. Enter via Shapinsay Sound and leave by way of Eynhallow Sound or Westray Firth. This is where it really pays of to have a "current friendly" thinking.
Don't even think of Pentland Firth and Scapa Flow, unless you make a point of cruising the Orkneys. To much trouble with precise timing, for safe passages.

For Shetland, go to Lerwick. Last time we left Lerwick, we sailed to Torshavn via Yell Sound.

I'm not aware of any basic yachting facilities, except for in Kirkwall and Lerwick.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote