Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2010, 18:31   #1

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Norwegian Sailing Permit

This is rather bizarre - it would seem to be self-limiting, if the cruising population is considered to have any economic clout. Certainly not the sort of thing I would want to see popping up around the world... especially now that I'm finally moving aboard and looking forward to getting Out There after 17 years of planning and false starts!

Disclaimer: I know nothing about this other than what is on this page, which I found via the author's Facebook post. Sounds ominous, and is hopefully not any kind of a trend.

Norwegian Sailing Permit - Bad News

Cheers,
Steve
S/V Nomadness
Old 31-07-2010, 18:49   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Doesn't the US require cruising permits? I think they do.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 19:06   #3

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Yes, though according to the text, it's much less restrictive. Maybe it's just "the way things are these days."

-Steve
Old 15-09-2010, 01:34   #4

Boat: Feeling 346 "Esprit"
This sounds all pretty harmless compared with the future UK eBorders requirements.

And most of this border control nonsense is based on anti-terror paranoia, that has gripped the western world by the throat!

Doesn't anybody else realise, dammit, they've won!
Old 15-09-2010, 01:45   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Doesn't anybody else realise, dammit, they've won!
its incredible isnt it how border controls have tightened so much, yet we lived in a interconncted globalised world. It was easier for Slocum.

We need to dismantle these barriers not create more of them
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 07:20   #6

Boat: Beneteau 373
Apologies

On behalf of all Norwegian sailors I would like to apologies for these ridiculous rules. As a non-member of the EU Norway tends to follow EU and Schengen regulation far more strictly than any EU state and the current leftwing government is an embarrasment to most of us.

I have sailed to many contries around the Atlantic, including the US (before 9/11) and I have never had any problems of this sort. Especially as a sea faring nation it is tragic to welcome cash filled tourists in such a manner.

The only consolation I can provide is that these rules are not widely enforced and they are not at all supported by the Norwegian boating community.
apneseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 09:42   #7

I don't see any need to apologise. It is definitely the right of any government to know who is in their territories, it is just the way it is done. The UK government,in future, expects everybody to be equipped with satellite capable iPhones, so you can surf to their website in the middle of the bloody North Sea and register which port you are entering 24 hours later. And if the wind changes in the meantime, you still have to enter the port you registered for. On top of this you can expect a warm British welcome from a bunch of robocops in boats, who will board, search and intimidate at will.

It'll be the hobnail boots of the Flying Squad, Special Branch or MI6 , I can hear at the door.
Old 16-09-2010, 09:44   #8

BTW, I am a British citizen and passport holder!

Tags
permit