Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-05-2013, 06:46   #16
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
I wish the SSR would at least require you to send a copy of your UK passport as i am sick and tired of finding UK registered boats that can't even speak English.... And all the big motor boat boys love it as a tax scam....
How ?

Old 20-05-2013, 07:04   #17
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckb View Post
I think you'll find that the check on UK residence is much tighter nowadays. And if you are a UK resident, you're not permitted to use a non-VAT paid boat in the EU.

Sure, this rule is not tightly policed, but officials do look more closely at the papers of non-EU passports skippering EU boats, as they do with EU residents skippering non-EU registered boats. Occasionally asking for proof that VAT has been paid.

The inconvenience and cost of cruising a non-EU boat is trivial, except in Greece where a three monthly payment is due on top of normal harbour and marina fees.

The inconvenience of sailing with non-EU passports is far higher, with visas for entering the Schengen area allowing only 90 days out of 180 within the area. But that's nothing to do with boats. Boat regs and people regs are unrelated . . .

Far more about this on Documents, VAT and Waste Control | JimB Sail , and if you log in to that site, you'll also see many "comments" which have been added at the bottom of the page which provide a lot more info about experiences people have had.
Just for clarification

There is NO connection between SSR or Part1 registration and VAT , the UK is rather unique in this regard as most other counties do need proof of VAT to allow registration by EU residents.

The SSR requires UK residency , however many are issued to addresses of convenience. Its against the rules but it is done.

Note " And if you are a UK resident, you're not permitted to use a non-VAT paid boat in the EU." But just a small point .

Is true in the main , but obviously company boats are not VAT paid and are sailed by EU owners. Hence sailing schools, charter yachts etc. there are loads of legislate VAT free boats in Europe sailed by EU residents

Dave

Old 21-05-2013, 01:30   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!
Re: non-UK citizen/resident wanting to register a boat in UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Is true in the main , but obviously company boats are not VAT paid and are sailed by EU owners. Hence sailing schools, charter yachts etc. there are loads of legislate VAT free boats in Europe sailed by EU residents

Dave
True, of course. I should put a caveat in front of all my statements. I only refer to privately owned craft, not used for commercial purposes, unless otherwise stated.
Old 25-05-2013, 05:35   #19

Boat: Dean 365 Catamaran

Thanks to all (especially Jim) for all the input - situation resolved - I hope ....
My sister arrives soon for a "cruise" joining our crew and will be carrying suitable papers to make us happy - PM if you need more details

Kris

PS Non EU boats are harassed by port officials for money at every place we check in (or are asked to check in) whilst EU boats tie up at the dock and leave paying nothing.
Old 25-05-2013, 13:42   #20
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissteyn View Post
Thanks to all (especially Jim) for all the input - situation resolved - I hope ....
My sister arrives soon for a "cruise" joining our crew and will be carrying suitable papers to make us happy - PM if you need more details

Kris

PS Non EU boats are harassed by port officials for money at every place we check in (or are asked to check in) whilst EU boats tie up at the dock and leave paying nothing.
Why would EU boats pay anything anyway, they have done so at purchase time.
Old 25-05-2013, 14:21   #21
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissteyn View Post

In what way are you asked for money...for what reason? Is it just in Greece you have come across this? Just wondering if there is a justifiable reason or not. Anyone else come across this as well?
Old 25-05-2013, 14:35   #22

have been charged a std fee of approx 7eu/night on the worst of docks - no facilities at all - rough docks that eat lines, crumbling un-safe concrete.

dont mind paying for something reasonable - but a bit peeved when its rubbish.

Korinthos comes to mind ...

and my neighbor with an eu flag docks for 2 nights and leaves without paying.

Kris
Old 25-05-2013, 14:54   #23
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

That doesn't seem too bad. Is it a common occurance? and did you mean 7 or 70 euro?
Old 25-05-2013, 23:29   #24

do the math 7 eu x approx 250 overnight stays this year = 1750 eu that the other boats dont pay !

AND I have to have the EXACT CHANGE ! (finding change for a 50 or 100 eu note can be VERY difficult at short notice)

AND it takes them another 10 minutes to FIND the receipt book !

Any-one who does not have this problem is blessed !
Old 26-05-2013, 00:27   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

In Greece, all EU boats (including Greek ones) should pay this same docking fee. In practice, not many bother to check in with the port police, and not many port police chase those who don't bother.

Part of the reason for this laxity is that the majority of boats have permanent berths, and pay annual fees, going out for short periods and returning after two or three days anchoring out. These don't have to pay the daily fee - they only have to pay the "booking in" fee. And about 4 for half an hour's work is seen as ridiculous by thinking officials

You'll note the typical Greek fee has three parts; a one off "port entry" fee, a midnight to midnight "docking" fee, and a 0.88 tax stamp. This tax stamp, is, of course, payable at another office which is usually closed . . .

And for non-EU boats there is this three monthly "permission to cruise" charge, payable after the first three months of visit (nip out before thase three moonths and you win!)

All of this dependent on individual officials and which side of the bed they got out of, of course. But some places are diligent - Patras, Corinthos, Symi, Rhodos come to mind

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: