Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2008, 16:51   #16

Boat: Bavaria 40, 12, 48 meters
I am not really interested in giving lessons on European history. 1974 the agreement of "green borders" came into being: the original "EEA" (European Economic Association) countries, i.e. the 3 Benelux-states, France, Germany, Denmark (and there was one more since it was the original seven) agreed to no longer control personal travel between their respective countries. I grant you that controls continued sporadically pending on political situation but since that time the vast majority of crossings between EEA states were practically passport-free.

My comparison to a bridge between PA and NJ was not intended to equate sovereign countries to American states but to find a comparison on how easy travel in Europe has become. In my experience (as a German citizen) most Americans have a somewhat enigmatic view on the EU. I apologize if this attempt to bring European procedures into an American context has failed.
Morski Krastavac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 19:08   #17

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Morski, it is OK. The rest of us understood the comparison.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 00:55   #18

Location: Home port: San Diego, California. Currently in Europe.
Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
For most of the countries of the Europe Union (and there are 25 now) there are no border checks - actually the ones with no border checks are the ones that are part of the Shengen Agreement (the UK is not, so you still need to clear a customs stop at the border and Switzerland, not a memeber of the EU, I think is part of Shengen).

By the way, Belgium is NOT landlocked! Antwerp, where I happen to be today, has one of the largest ports in the world (6 1/2 million containers a year, more than any port in the USA), but is also a great cruising goal. We sailed here in 2006 and you stay right in the center of town, next to a castle built 500 years ago and tie up to walls that Napoleon built. There are also a series of ports along the north sea coast, some with canels that a sailboat can travel many miles inland to some of the oldest cities in Europe.
Not many Americans cruise the Netherlands and Belgium, but we really enjoyed it!
Jim
Old 18-01-2008, 14:17   #19

@ Jim

You are certainly right, Belgium of course is not landlocked; mea culpa.
Old 20-01-2008, 10:31   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morski Krastavac View Post
You are certainly right, Belgium of course is not landlocked; mea culpa.
Not to worry Morski. It could happen to a bishop. And Justine Henin certainly has no notion of being land-locked. Nor has Francis Joyon, the pride of France, who just blew the round-the-world sailing record apart Joyon pulverises solo record

Here's to ease of access to all of Europe, and to as much of the world as we can get to!
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 20:59   #21

I am Australian and I will be sending my 40ft Trimaran in a 40 ft shipping container to Europe.(sail the med and the canals (the outriggers fold in))
I understand the 18 months rule for the boat but how do you get around the 90 day eu visa requirement. can you jst sail to morocco and back.?
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 00:44   #22

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
I am Australian and I will be sending my 40ft Trimaran in a 40 ft shipping container to Europe.(sail the med and the canals (the outriggers fold in))
I understand the 18 months rule for the boat but how do you get around the 90 day eu visa requirement. can you jst sail to morocco and back.?
Yes. Or Turkey.

Malta used to work but now part of the EU

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 22:10   #23

Dear Beau,

No, legally you can not get around the 90 day out of 180 day rule by going to morocco or anywhere outside the EU. For the boat and VAT that works fine, but not for a non-EU resident.

BUT, the 90 day rule does not seem to be enforced by many countries. And the rule is that you must be in the zone only 90 days out of 180, but I have also had them check the date I arrived and when it was leass than 90 days before they counted that as fine. Going to morocco (or even the UK, since they are not part of the argeement) would at least get you a new entry stamp and maybe they would let that pass, even if it is not to the letter of the law.

Jack Tyler on s/y Whoosh has probably the best up to date information: Schengen Treaty

Jim
Old 14-03-2008, 05:45   #24

Jim's explanation of the law is correct and I also second his experience regarding the rather lax enforcement. One issue leading to confusion (which I believe works in favor of non-EU-citizens) is the discrepancy between Schengen- vs. EU-member nations. Most Schengen treaty-members are also EU-nations but there are exceptions: Switzerland (also not really relevant for cruising the med) recently joined Schengen but is not EU, the UK is member of the EU but not of Schengen...

Also keep in mind that any other country has their own law governing tourist-stay/visa, most follow the 90 day regulation but it may be important to check. Some of these countries take it much more seriously than the EU / Schengen- nations, case in point would be Croatia, where people reportedly have been fined rather heftily for violating the rule.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:17   #25

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
Two more related questions to this topic:

I am in the process of buying a second-hand, European registered since new and VAT-paid yacht in Europe.

I hold the South African citizenship, together with a permanent German (a Schengen treaty country) residency permit. The boat will be registered in South Africa and will be flying the South African flag with the respective courtosy country flag on starboard.

Questions:

1) When going from one European Schengen-treaty country to another Schengen-treaty country (say from Belgium to France) must I fly the Q flag and check in with Customs? When travelling on the roads there are no custom formalities any more in such a case.

2) What is the story when I sail from, say, Holland (a Schengen country) to the UK ( non-Schengen country)?

Thanks
Roger
multihullsailor6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 17:31   #26

Can anyone give me further advise, ( re legal requirements) in regard to cruising in the med and the canals of europe for a year or two.
I am an Australian.

After 90 days in the EU Can i sail to Turkey, for example, and stay 90 days and then go back to the EU for a further 90 days. What other countries could I visit to get around the rules of the EU. Obviously being careful about Croatia.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 19:49   #27

Dear Beau,
Going to Turkey for 90 days and then back to the EU is perfect. Also Tunisia, Morocco and any other country outside the EU, including Croatia.
But as we have discussed before, most countries do not enforce this rule (I understand that Greece does, but it seems Italy, Spain and even France are very understanding regarding cruisers.)
Good information can be found on Jack Tyler's site (see my previous post).
Jim

Tags
ports