Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2016, 17:40   #31
Registered User
 
Nicholson58's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Live aboard
Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Posts: 3,466
Images: 83
Re: No more DIY antifouling in EU countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisersfarm View Post
Seems like hiring a diver to scrape every couple months will cost less than hauling, paint (plus marina markup) plus labor.
You will probably also need a license to scrape your bottom.


It seems the EU/UK do all they can to discourage the boating part of their economy. If you expense or tax the snot out of any activity, it will go away. Proven many times. For cruisers, you will take your business out of the zone. For local boaters & commercial operators, increased expense or elimination.
__________________

__________________
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 22:14   #32
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: AUSTRALIA
Boat: Schionning Wilderness 1340
Posts: 35
Re: No more DIY antifouling in EU countries?

Never ever underestimate the stupidity of our beaureaucrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need another million unemployed in this country and every one of them is a public Servant!!!!!
__________________

__________________
Aqualibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:51   #33
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,319
Re: No more DIY antifouling in EU countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post

The established view that boat owners can use antifouling paints in a responsible way, following the label instructions and wearing appropriate protective clothing – such as gloves – is being challenged, and manufacturers need evidence to support this position.
Take a walk around your house and note all the different chemicals etc. Now think of what would happen if the above got applied to all of them.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:56   #34
Registered User
 
Lizzy Belle's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Ohlson 29
Posts: 1,522
Re: No more DIY antifouling in EU countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
If you expense or tax the snot out of any activity, it will go away.
Funny you mentioned taxes. The EU is currently forcing the Netherlands to change a VAT exemption law, so non-commercial marina's (clubs with no staff, just volunteers) have to start charging 21% VAT as well.

But in all honestly: it's a Dutch branch organisation (HISWA) we can thank for that, they've been working hard for years to make sure all marina's are equally expensive - no matter if they're commercial businesses or not.

The 'why' is simple: less and less boats here, so marina's are having a hard time filling up. So if the little clubs, who still have waiting lists, go away or become less attractive, people will opt for the expensive marina (or so they think - a lot of people won't be able to afford them).
__________________
"Il faut ętre toujours ivre." - Charles Baudelaire
Dutch ♀ Liveaboard, sharing an Ohlson 29 with a feline.
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:22   #35
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,217
Images: 2
pirate Re: No more DIY antifouling in EU countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
You will probably also need a license to scrape your bottom.


It seems the EU/UK do all they can to discourage the boating part of their economy. If you expense or tax the snot out of any activity, it will go away. Proven many times. For cruisers, you will take your business out of the zone. For local boaters & commercial operators, increased expense or elimination.
In the UK its EU Law being forced on us as we are members and our politico's are allowing our rights to slowly be leeched away..
The RYA is in constant battle over one thing or another..
I remember years back when France's safety drive would (if implemented) have required a Laser dinghy to carry a life raft..
Intelligent legislation from butts velcro'd to office chairs is as rare as the Dodo.
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:48   #36
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: No more DIY antifouling in EU countries?

It seems odd to me that any government would impose rules/bans/prohibitions because of concerns for the 'health' of a person applying anti foul. I can understand it for envionmental reasons, or even to protect the general public. But i dont see why anyone would be worried about the 'long' term, possible ill health of a private applicator.

Gee if anyone was interested in it, they would find plenty of bad examples down our way. Over the past five years ive seen lots of owners anti fouling and not once have i seen anyone with gloves, masks, overalls, breather on . Sometimes you get combinations and the sensible ones will at least use gloves, but most of the time the entire job gets done with no safety equipment.

Mind you, there is nothing to enforce non professional safety standards around here.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:52   #37
Registered User
 
Lizzy Belle's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Ohlson 29
Posts: 1,522
Re: No more DIY antifouling in EU countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
because of concerns for the 'health' of a person applying anti foul.
Just between you and me: I don't think that's the real reason
Just the way they decided to sell it. It's all in the marketing.
__________________
"Il faut ętre toujours ivre." - Charles Baudelaire
Dutch ♀ Liveaboard, sharing an Ohlson 29 with a feline.
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:56   #38
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: No more DIY antifouling in EU countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Just between you and me: I don't think that's the real reason
Just the way they decided to sell it. It's all in the marketing.
ok, i wont tell anyone
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:59   #39
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Formosa 41
Posts: 569
Re: No more DIY antifouling in EU countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
It seems odd to me that any government would impose rules/bans/prohibitions because of concerns for the 'health' of a person applying anti foul. I can understand it for envionmental reasons, or even to protect the general public. But i dont see why anyone would be worried about the 'long' term, possible ill health of a private applicator.

Gee if anyone was interested in it, they would find plenty of bad examples down our way. Over the past five years ive seen lots of owners anti fouling and not once have i seen anyone with gloves, masks, overalls, breather on . Sometimes you get combinations and the sensible ones will at least use gloves, but most of the time the entire job gets done with no safety equipment.

Mind you, there is nothing to enforce non professional safety standards around here.
The concern is usually that the collective is paying for the healthcare of the individual.

When someone is sick all taxpayers bear the burden.

The gov. looks for ways to legislate good behavior so people are unlikely to harm themselves.

Unfortunately all this legislation to make bad behavior unlawful expands the government and results in higher taxes anyway.
__________________
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:02   #40
Registered User
 
Lizzy Belle's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Ohlson 29
Posts: 1,522
Re: No more DIY antifouling in EU countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
The gov. looks for ways to legislate good behavior so people are unlikely to harm themselves.
Not to get too political or OT, but if that were true, they'd have issues with all the processed foods ...
Most modern day health issues all have to do with the crap they sell as 'food' these days.
__________________
"Il faut ętre toujours ivre." - Charles Baudelaire
Dutch ♀ Liveaboard, sharing an Ohlson 29 with a feline.
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:13   #41
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: No more DIY antifouling in EU countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
The concern is usually that the collective is paying for the healthcare of the individual.

When someone is sick all taxpayers bear the burden.

The gov. looks for ways to legislate good behavior so people are unlikely to harm themselves.

Unfortunately all this legislation to make bad behavior unlawful expands the government and results in higher taxes anyway.
There is no measurable health effects of anti foul on humans though so such a link that its costing the tax payer money simply isnt there. Clear, the paints are known carseogenics but how many people, if any, get cancer from it is unknown.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:15   #42
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Formosa 41
Posts: 569
Re: No more DIY antifouling in EU countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Not to get too political or OT, but if that were true, they'd have issues with all the processed foods ...
Most modern day health issues all have to do with the crap they sell as 'food' these days.
I'm not a fan of processed food and the government is involved.

80% of Processed Foods in US Are Banned In Other Nations | Natural Society


We should stick to the topic at hand, Island Packet closing its doors IIRC.
__________________
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:19   #43
Registered User
 
Lizzy Belle's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Ohlson 29
Posts: 1,522
Re: No more DIY antifouling in EU countries?

Our food isn't much better, and soon we'll have all the US stuff here too.

But back on topic it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
We should stick to the topic at hand, Island Packet closing its doors IIRC.
Almost - No more DIY antifouling in EU countries?
__________________
"Il faut ętre toujours ivre." - Charles Baudelaire
Dutch ♀ Liveaboard, sharing an Ohlson 29 with a feline.
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:29   #44
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Formosa 41
Posts: 569
Re: No more DIY antifouling in EU countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
There is no measurable health effects of anti foul on humans though so such a link that its costing the tax payer money simply isnt there. Clear, the paints are known carseogenics but how many people, if any, get cancer from it is unknown.
There doesn't have to be a link proving that people who apply anti fouling are getting cancer. It has been determined a carcinogen by the government. The government uses the possibility of people getting cancer to expand said government, all the while praising themselves for nipping an inevitable tragedy in the bud.

Government likes to expand itself. There is little historical evidence to the contrary.
__________________
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:39   #45
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: No more DIY antifouling in EU countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
There doesn't have to be a link proving that people who apply anti fouling are getting cancer. It has been determined a carcinogen by the government. The government uses the possibility of people getting cancer to expand said government, all the while praising themselves for nipping an inevitable tragedy in the bud.

Government likes to expand itself. There is little historical evidence to the contrary.
Well that would be a first a government being proactive about health.
__________________

__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More People On More Boats More Often thekiwi Commercial Posts 0 11-06-2014 19:43
It seems the more we look and read, the more confused we get about the boat to buy! terminalcitygrl General Sailing Forum 97 12-12-2012 19:52
More Pics, More Blog Entries, and 'Communications in the Bahamas' Labatt Atlantic & the Caribbean 5 02-05-2009 11:08



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:51.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.