Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2017, 08:28   #61
cruiser

Re: Newbie in the Med concerned about crowds and prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
As long as you're not worried about being inspected while being checked out!
You mean when we first arrive?

Please sir, can you direct us to the nearest immigration office? We just arrived.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 09:19   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You mean when we first arrive?

Please sir, can you direct us to the nearest immigration office? We just arrived.
Good luck! But note that some countries (no idea about Italy) now keep pretty good track of yachts, and will know very well whether you just arrived or not.

I was boarded, inspected, and searched just a couple of weeks ago, in international waters, by the Dutch coast guard. They knew EVERYTHING about where we had been, including that I had stopped overnight in Scheveningen without checking in. I explained it was an unplanned weather stop; that we had been bound for Helgoland and would check in there. They were extremely friendly and didn't create any problems for us -- they were really interested in refugee smuggling I think -- but they had us!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 09:35   #63
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Good luck! But note that some countries (no idea about Italy) now keep pretty good track of yachts, and will know very well whether you just arrived or not.

I was boarded, inspected, and searched just a couple of weeks ago, in international waters, by the Dutch coast guard. They knew EVERYTHING about where we had been, including that I had stopped overnight in Scheveningen without checking in. I explained it was an unplanned weather stop; that we had been bound for Helgoland and would check in there. They were extremely friendly and didn't create any problems for us -- they were really interested in refugee smuggling I think -- but they had us!
I'm not in Dutch waters, but here in Italy the authorities couldn't care less about how long North American tourists stay... at least that's what the Italian immigration officer told me, "stay as long as you like, welcome." Italy and Spain have the same internet abilities to track our trek through their country by following purchases and cellphone usage, but over here in the Adriatic... they just don't care... except for Greece. Seems like the Northern European countries are the ones most uptight about it.

Besides, I also use non-Schengen countries like Croatia and Montenegro along with my dual citizenship to stay indefinitely if I like.

If my name was Mohammad and I had three wives and twelve kids... the authorities would most likely be a little more vigilant.
Old 27-05-2017, 10:02   #64
cruiser

They're actually much more sophisticated about the entire process over here. Last season near Naples, I had an Italian Carabinieri or Coast guard boat rush straight at me until they either saw the name and flag or viewed my ais data and history, then just hung a 90 degree turn and went off to see another boat. It's as if the officials just looked me up and said to themselves "that's just Ken the American who comes here every year and spends €2000 euros per month, leave him alone, let's go check out that other guy."
Old 27-05-2017, 18:10   #65

Don't get me started on a day trip from hell in Greece, thanks to customs authorities. Some yachties take the risk, on day/weekend trips, between Turkey and Greece and not check out of Turkey. Man it was drama and expensive. These guys were looking for a bribe and something to do. Anyway, like others say, certain countries care others not as much. If you want to sleep better at night just follow the rules, ya know.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 18:13   #66

Btw, Turquoise Coast is fantastic!!! Feel free to pm for recs, I've got Turkish friends there and fam out there a couple months a year.
Old 27-05-2017, 22:02   #67

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
Don't get me started on a day trip from hell in Greece, thanks to customs authorities. Some yachties take the risk, on day/weekend trips, between Turkey and Greece and not check out of Turkey. Man it was drama and expensive. These guys were looking for a bribe and something to do. Anyway, like others say, certain countries care others not as much. If you want to sleep better at night just follow the rules, ya know.
At the risk of getting you started which greek island was the problem? Ive seen literally hundreds of turkish flag boats head into the dodecanese for 24 hours no problems and always wondered if we as aussie flag etc boats should give it a go too.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 22:14   #68

Barra,
The very eastern of the Dodecanese Kastellorizo.
Old 28-05-2017, 00:47   #69

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
At the risk of getting you started which greek island was the problem? Ive seen literally hundreds of turkish flag boats head into the dodecanese for 24 hours no problems and always wondered if we as aussie flag etc boats should give it a go too.
We are just 10nm from Samos and there a few Turkish boats that go over and back without checking in or out - but they run the risk -
we were in Samos when a boat came in and did not check in and left the boat - the police and dock guy were all over that boat and wanted to know where the capt was - and kept coming back to check on it - the capt came back and I told him the police were looking for him and within minutes he was gone -

We would never do it - call me coward but if we get caught it could be a major problem and we do not need problems - they do watch ais so why take the chance - if we want to go to Samos we take the ferry -

we are leaving in a couple of days for our summer sailing season and headed to the northern Greek islands and mainland - we will check out of Turkey and check in at our 1st Greek port
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 02:27   #70
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
At the risk of getting you started which Greek island was the problem? Ive seen literally hundreds of Turkish flag boats head into the Dodecanese for 24 hours no problems and always wondered if we as Aussie flag etc boats should give it a go too.
Hmm. Turkish registered boats don't have transit logs that have to be handed in each time they leave Turkish waters.

And (speculation!) since they are in the EU customs zone, maybe only need DEKPA instead of a transit log in Greek waters. And I suppose short return trips to their own coastline won't raise eyebrows during a Greek cruise.

Dodgy. ChuckR has got it. Risk . . . visiting Greece without a DEKPA. Big fines.
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 20:48   #71

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckb View Post
Hmm. Turkish registered boats don't have transit logs that have to be handed in each time they leave Turkish waters.

And (speculation!) since they are in the EU customs zone, maybe only need DEKPA instead of a transit log in Greek waters. And I suppose short return trips to their own coastline won't raise eyebrows during a Greek cruise.

Dodgy. ChuckR has got it. Risk . . . visiting Greece without a DEKPA. Big fines.
Agree its dodgy for us. A fellow CF member was forced into Nisiros in bad weather last year while still legally in turkey. Port police were much more active last year and he had to leave soon as the wind dropped, wasnt allowed ashore. no fines though.

But not for the turks- they are not sneaking in or hiding - they come right into the town anchorages, tie up to quays etc and dont seem worried at all. Even the gullets do it pretty regularly. When i asked one he said as long as its one night no one bothers them, the tavernas want our business
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 22:48   #72
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Whatever is said on cruising between Turkey and Greece can be wright or wrong depending on what island, what time of the year, the flag you fly and what kind of authorities you fall on..
The following notes are the most recent ones on the matter and are general rules:

-Most of turks were use to fly Delaware state flag and not Turkish one until this year. With the new law, VAT has been reduced to 1% and most turks are now on Turkish flag.
-all of the Greek island that are 10-15 nm from Turkey are making their lives out of Turkish boats and turkish passengers who spend tons of money there.
-As a result, Greek authorities were very tolerant particularly against Turkish boats whether they flied US or Turkish flag.
-Greeks never questioned until last year where the boat came from and whether she had a legal exit from Turkey or not.

THIS IS ALL OVER..

-After the syrian refugees issue, EU forced Greece to take some measures and even sent some authorities and coast guard boats to strenghten the controls. This issue is over to a great extend but they are not (yet) back to those relaxed days. Every boat now is checked with the exit documents before they make an entry to Greece.
-the Turks (don't know others) are sent to custom office for giving finger prints every time they enter and they need to visit the custom office in person.
-in some islands (Simi for instance) one need to dock the coast guard station just in the entry of the port and pay 10 €..Only after they control the papers, you are allowed to proceed to the port.
-after the attempt of coup in Turkey, turkish coast guard is patrolling the coast intensively as some Gulenists escaped by sea. They may call from the VHF and question if they see that you are heading to Greek waters. This is less an issue this year though..

So, pls don't say "one of my friend or I went to there without proper documents and nothing happened". You may get away, but if you are cought the consequences can be serious.

Cheers

Yeloya
-
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 00:37   #73

Exactly, be up to date on what's going on now, particularly in a country or region with complex, ever changing politics.
Just because this or that person or business (gulet charter) gets away with it doesn't mean you will. Also, following the rules can make life less restrictive.

Imho, I believe it is a great opportunity to visit/cruise Turkey.
USD:TRY is about 1:3.5. Just a few years ago when I was there it was 1:1.98
A great exchange rate to visit a really interesting country with nice people, rich in history and archaeological and architectural finds abound all over the place. Excellent food....plus nice water and anchorages. With things less crowding too you have the opportunity to have more chats with people: the shop owners, restaurant servers or owners, expats. Making for perhaps a more authentic visit versus just a few years ago when it was booming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
So, pls don't say "one of my friend or I went to there without proper documents and nothing happened". You may get away, but if you are cought the consequences can be serious.

Cheers

Yeloya
-

Tags
price