Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2016, 14:28   #16

Boat: Shopping
Re: New to the med - help wanted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomsen View Post
The Med is small.
I guess small is relative. From Gibraltar to Israel is about 2,400 miles, about the same as New York to San Francisco, or across Australia. From the northern tip of New Zealand to the southern tip is about 900 miles.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 14:31   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheCoop View Post
We are a family of four doing this NOW! Only started this season and have just sailed our cat from France (west coast) to Mallorca.

Our girls are 8 and 10.

We are planning on doing the Greek Islands next season if you want to keep in touch!
Hey would love to connect with you guys, so cool you are out there doing this right now! Do you have a FB or blog we could follow?
robbinsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 14:33   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
I guess small is relative. From Gibraltar to Israel is about 2,400 miles, about the same as New York to San Francisco, or across Australia. From the northern tip of New Zealand to the southern tip is about 900 miles.
Ha ha yip I see what you mean!
robbinsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 16:08   #19

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

You only need to leave the EU long enough to have proof the boat has been out. Just search VAT in this forum & you'll find lots of threads.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 16:13   #20

Boat: Bénéteau Oceanis 393 Clipper, 12 m / 39'

I got my boat in VInaros, that is 120 nm south of Barcelona, mainland Spain. I cruised along the Spanish and French coast and went to the Balearics Islands a lot. I have circumvented Ibiza, for instance 15 times, Mallorca 4 times.
So I think I know what I am talking about.
Here are some prices:
French and Spanish coast, harbor fees for our 14,5 m sailing yacht (Dynamique Express 44) were between 35,- and 80,- € / night.
But the Balearics, - yes - the are very expensive!!!!!!!
During the high season they would have charged us between 190,- and 275,- € / night. But during all these cruises from the mainland to and around Ibiza (15 times) we stayed in a marina JUST ONCE. Besides, we only go in a marina there to get some water.
On Ibiza you do not need a harbor at all for staying overnight. You can do, what we call "cala hopping", that's sailing from one bay (anchorage) to the other. If you sail for one ore two hours you get to the next beautiful anchorage. So if you feel at home in picturesque anchorages, you will love Ibiza up to the max.
Same goes for Mallorca and Menorca.
I will be cruising the Med next year from Mai till November before I sail to the Carribean. I would like to meet you. If you are interested, just email me.
Saludos
Ingo
Skipper-Ingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 22:44   #21

You will have a wonderful time my favourite was Albania and Turkey , but sailing up the Grande Canal in Venice was quite an experience. Anyway a couple of suggestions re buying a boat in the Mediterranean.
This is a good time of year to start looking. I made the mistake of looking in January/February for a 40ft catamaran and by that time half the boats were committed for charter work later on in the year. I am sure this will be the same for wobbly boats aswell.
Also do allow enough time for the boat registration, I don’t know what New Zealand is like but Australia’s is a bureaucratic nightmare. Both times I registered an Australian boat in Europe it has taken six weeks and that is just for ‘provisional registration’. AMSA even managed once to courier us the wrong boats registration papers. Without the registration papers you will find it v.difficult to move the boat even within the same country.
Rob
Bob_a_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 23:53   #22

Boat: Lagoon 400

Hi
We are an Aussie family with 2 boys 9 & 6 and are currently sailing in Croatia. We are a season ahead of you as we moved to Lefkada Greece in Jan this year as a base to do our boat search. We ended up buying in Croatia and taking back to Greece. We bought a cat so can't help on that front.

I have a Spouse of eu citizen resident visa. Happy to share how to get.

In Lefkada their is an English surveyor that is resident in the marina who is pretty good.

There is a live aboard families in the med group that will help to meet other families.

From my experience brokers were happy to sell what they have but not go hunting. The buyers broker was a myth for me.

We are on passage at the moment? Pm me and I would be happy to send you info and share our experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-07-2016, 00:30   #23

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbinsfamily View Post
Hey everyone thanks for the input - very exciting for us to hear from people who have been doing this already and the advice has been great.

One important thing I forgot to mention is that my mother is Dutch so I have a Dutch passport (as well as a NZ one) and so do the three kids it's just my husband who only has a NZ passport, so does anyone knows if we can easily get a resident visa or something for him?

Re the VAT that was interesting as I didn't know, when you say you can take the boat out after 18 months. Can you just go to Tunisia and straight back again or similar or do you have to stay away for a certain time. Links to relevant threads about this would be helpful.

Also does anyone know of a good app for finding other cruising families in the Med?
If the owner of a boat registered out of the EU is an EU resident, you do not have the 18 months grace for VAT. AFAIK you have only 30 days. Read carefully the Schengen threads.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 02:56   #24

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
Some comments:
1. The Cyclades range was an attempt by Beneteau to launch an lower priced range of boats - I would not recommend such a boat to someone who is considering a Moody. Moody is one of the upper class boats and entirely different in behaviour, being heavy weight where the Cyclades is light and of very good workmanship where the Cyclades is mediocre at best.
2. The Lefkas based broker is good. I have surveyed a boat purchased through him by a client of mine. They behaved professionally throughout the deal.
3. There is a respected surveyor in Athens - William Walsh. I do not know him personally but people I know and trust think highly of him.
You may reach him through:

Walsh Marine – Yacht Surveyor Based in Athens Greece

I second the recommendation for William Walsh. He surveyed my 393 Benny 5 years ago, was very thorough and produced an excellent report within 2 days from completing the survey.

As far as brokers are concerned, they all speak English and some are more knowledgeable than others. To get a wide view of availability, I would not limit yourself to a buyers broker. Generally this will mean a split commission with a sellers broker unless he happens to have something you like on his own books (and he is more than likely to push those to you first).

There are huge numbers of ex-charter boats on the market, as there has been a large increase this year of new additions to the charter fleets, so the older ones need to be shifted (many are not that old anyway). Some charter companies have better reputations for maintenance than others, but a thorough survey should point out any deficiencies.

All the ex-charter boats exclude VAT (currently 24% in Greece). You will need to investigate how you can get around this depending on what flag you intend to fly. As Kiwis, it may be better to look at sourcing from Turkey.
spaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 05:59   #25

Boat: Wauquiez 43 PS

Hi,
We bought our yacht in Torre Vieja, Spain and sailed her back to UK. We had her re-fitted by the local marine boatyard, Costa Blanca Boat Services, which is run by an English couple. They were very good. Another top class boat yard is Belliuri in Calpe, but you will pay a premium for their service.

in my opinion it would be advisable to get an English surveyor who can speak the local language. If necessary, pay for a good surveyor to fly out to your marina to conduct the survey.

Beware of the yacht tax that Greece is introducing. It will cost €10 per metre per month for boats over 12 metres. I believe there is a discount for long stays paid in advance.

Good luck and fair winds
SJFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:12   #26

Boat: Malo 39

Check out Typhoon Yachting at Marmaris in Turkey. She (Feride) is a small broker and is very customer focused, really helpful. Speaks reasonable English. There are an increasing number of boats for sale due to the political situation. Don't let that put you off, the vast majority of people are really helpful and genuine and in Marmaris you can get all work done you may need and the crusing area is beautiful. There are also English speaking surveyors in the area. Good luck with your quest. ps pay attention to the paperwork.
Martin S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broker, family, Greece, kids, med, Turkey, wanted