Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2012, 08:23   #1

Need Advice on Charter in Greece

My family is planning on chartering a boat with captain in Greece this summer (July 3) for a week. There are so many places to charter from, and in these uncertain time it's hard to know who is good and reliable without being a rip-off.

I would really appreciate advice on:
1) good, inexpensive, reliable charter company
2) I really wanted to sail the Cyclades, but am worried about the weather. Should I skip this and try a different area or should I consider a one way charter to avoid the beat back, or just go for it?
3) I have never used a Captain before, what size boat do I need for my familly of 5 (3 grown daughters, wife and me)?
4) What is the correct etiquette to use with a Captain. Meals and trips ashore do we always include him, sometimes include him, only for meals, what about tips, etc...?
5) Finally a big question, We are arriving in Athens on July 3, a Tuesday. What are the issues with starting a charter mid week (Tuesday or Wednesday)?

Any advice would be much appreciated, I have gone through the Greek "tips" posting, but I still have many unanswered questions.
leelovestosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 08:55   #2

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
Re: Need advice on charter in Greece

I have pm you
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 17:55   #3

Re: Need Advice charter offer in Greece

We are also Chartering in Greece, during the end of August for a week one way from Athens to Mykonos.
I have had 6 yrs in a crew, racing but have never chartered before, though will have my ICC or RYA Skipper Cert.
Does anyone have any feedback on the company SailGreece?
We have been offered;
I can offer you OCEANIS 400, with 3 double cabins, 2 toilettes, with sprayhood, bimini, GPS plotter, navtex, CD player with cockpit speakers, outboard for the tender, autopilot. You can see the boat with more details and photos in my site (sailgreeceyachts) her name is CARYANDA. From my site you can choose the route that you wish. The price is 3000 Euro all inclusive except your food. In this price included boat rental, skipper’s fee, diesel consumption, water in the islands, marina’s fee in the islands, transfer from Athens airport to marina, linen, end cleaning, VAT.
The way of payment is 30% upon signing the agreement and the balance 70% upon your embarkation. You can pay also with your credit card through my web site.
The boat has full insurance for hull and machinery, personal injury, oil pollution, third party liability.
Any information regarding things to ask before charter would be appreciated.
Beneteau 500, I would greatly appreciate, forwarding me the information you may have pm, leeloves to sail
Boomshanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 19:46   #4

Re: Need Advice on Charter in Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelovestosail View Post
My family is planning on chartering a boat with captain in Greece this summer (July 3) for a week. There are so many places to charter from, and in these uncertain time it's hard to know who is good and reliable without being a rip-off.

2) I really wanted to sail the Cyclades, but am worried about the weather. Should I skip this and try a different area or should I consider a one way charter to avoid the beat back, or just go for it?
3) I have never used a Captain before, what size boat do I need for my familly of 5 (3 grown daughters, wife and me)?
4) What is the correct etiquette to use with a Captain. Meals and trips ashore do we always include him, sometimes include him, only for meals, what about tips, etc...?
5) Finally a big question, We are arriving in Athens on July 3, a Tuesday. What are the issues with starting a charter mid week (Tuesday or Wednesday)?

Any advice would be much appreciated, I have gone through the Greek "tips" posting, but I still have many unanswered questions.
Will try to help in a general way:
1) Charter Co - that is an almost impossible combination
a) You picked July - in the High season
b) Good & Reliable usually do not come cheap
c) To get a feel for the Market, you might want to contact a firm like Sunsail or the Moorings (both have websites with lots of info) then You can compare to other / local based firms via google search

2) Weather - chances are it will not disrupt your whole week. The local Captain will handle that worry

3) Boat size - If each daughter needs a separate cabin, then it's 4 Cabins before the one for the Captain........so probably a 45' - 53' range depending on layout

4) Etiquette - No requirement to include Captain at all.....you would judge based on that person, how everyone gets along, if they were charming and would be fun for a dinner out one evening. Tip - the Charter company might offer some guidance otherwise.... it would depend on their performance & service provided......just like any other service provider...

5) Mid-Week Charter - humm, that is a tough one as most only do weekend starts.........would depend on bookings & company

Good Luck and Have Fun
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:30   #5

Charter Co - Mid week

I was searching myself for a friend & ran across a Charter co that offers departures on any day & of course you can hire a Captain too

Kiriacoulis Yacht Charter

Don't think the model in the top photo will be your Captain though

BTW Sunsail or Moorings will consider non-weekends but it is an exception requiring Mgt approval & they have to have idle boats to make it work for them

Good Luck
Old 17-04-2012, 08:05   #6

Hi there,
try to sail in Ionian Sea, weather, in that part of Greece is totally different. many beautiful islands

Regards
Grigoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelovestosail View Post

Old 17-04-2012, 08:50   #7

Update:
Just finishing up arrangements on my own Greek charter.
Long story short - after shopping with at least 5 companies,
I'm using an Athen based firm that I've used 2x before
Egiali Yachting - Yacht Charter in Greece - A Unique Sailing Experience In Greece...

The 2nd option would have been:
DREAM YACHT CHARTER - Rent sail boat, catamaran renting, cabin cruise, rent boat, rant motor boat, yacht renting

Both were based on availability, responsiveness, boat choice & pricing

Egiali provided a Captain / Guide for a 5 Boat Charter we did about 9 years ago in the Dodecanese that was a magical trip.

This time it is just 2 of us on a small monohull - they have their own boats plus can broker to find whatever You need - just give them the requirements, concerns and budget.

Good Luck
Old 21-04-2012, 15:25   #8

check out sailandyoga.com offering sailing, yoga trekking and good cuisine. Recommended
leeabroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, Greece, greece