Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2003, 23:58   #1

Boat: ex-WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Mounting & using a Pasarelle

I'd welcome ideas on how to mount a removeable/storable pasarelle on the 'conventional bow' of a monohull, as we'll sooner or later face this task when either entering the Med or perhaps up in Sweden. By 'conventional' bow I mean one you typically see on a cruising boat: double rollers, one with a CQR, a pulpit that offers no step-thru - IOW one that makes accommodating both the pasarelle AND the disembarking crew awkward. And I haven't even mentioned how to break it down and retrieve it, given that's it's sticking out in front and not all the user friendly to manhandle.

Surely would appreciate some ideas...

Jack
WHOOSH, lying St. Kat's, London for the Winter
Whoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2005, 23:27   #2

Boat: East Orient 32
Arrow

Let me know if you have found out how to do that. I need to as well this year.
Barbara
seagypsywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2005, 14:34   #3

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
If you could please explain what a "parsarelle" is, it would be easier to provide advice. Neither I, nor Merriam-Webster Dictionary has any clue.
Thank you.
Jim Kane

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2005, 15:49   #4

Boat: Island Packet 35
pasarelle

Used for boarding the boat when moored stern or bow-to. Can be just a plank tied between the boat and the quay, or fitted with rollers and handrails etc.

I don't know, just what I read ...

JR
Bugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2005, 21:54   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I've always known them as a BROW.

As for attaching, old wooden ships were usually built with them and used the rigging to haul them in and out and stored along the bulwark. Never heard of one on a recreational vessel.

I would imagine that a fiberglass boat would need an adaptor to support one.............._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 04:10   #6

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Aaaaaahhhhhhhhh! What is more commonly refered to as a "gangway".

Main Entry: gang·way
Pronunciation: 'ga[ng]-"wA
Function: noun
1 : PASSAGEWAY; especially : a temporary way of planks
2 a : either of the sides of the upper deck of a ship b : the opening by which a ship is boarded c : GANGPLANK

An interesting word.

Jim

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 05:17   #7

Boat: Privilege 37
Passarelle's are common in the med with stern/bow to mooring. Mobos have them with hydraulic lift/turn/extension, and I have even seen some very large raggies with such a device. Most liveaboard raggies have a very much cheaper version, some use the davits to suspend the passarelle, as most boats tend to leave a gap between jetty and end of the passarelle as a rat gap.

I see no difficulty in adding a passarelle suspended from the spinnaker line, and secured onboard, however the method of securing would almost certainly be boat specific and is much easier from the stern rather than the bow. Although I agree that bow to mooring will provide much better privacy.
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2005, 10:38   #8

Boat: Bavaria 40, 12, 48 meters
I am sailing in Croatia, docking stern-to just about everywhere. I bought an inexpensive ladder and had a local carpenter fit wooden planks in the middle, drilled holes into one end and attached a pair of wheels (used old Inline-wheels). On the other end just some duct tape to avoid any scratching. Voila: my gangway, rollers on the dock. The ladder itself comes handy (rollers up...!!!). Never attach it permanently to the boat though.
Morski Krastavac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2005, 04:50   #9

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Aluminum ladder is a good solution...

I've come to the same conclusion that Morski describes, and this is what I see a lot of boats using. The best arrangement I've found re: low cost and simple modification is the style of ladder USA sailors will find in Home Depot. Fiberglass rails, aluminum straps & rails, and removing half the ladder provides the platform into which you can slot and fasten wooden ply panels. Better yet, you can disassemble the whole thing when crossing the Atlantic or sailing down Biscay to get to the Med in the first place; fiberglass rails stapped on deck with the aluminum bits and ply panels stowed in a locker.

Having said all that, what we've ended up doing that has worked well to date is a simple stainless ladder designed to hang off our anchor on the bow roller. These are made to match various anchors and include a retaining pin and a locking cable, so that it doesn't disappear. Length to suit, depending on freeboard. This of course requires we moor bow to when Med mooring...but an aft cabin that would be too close to the quayside traffic, an open companionway, and a tender wind vane hanging off the transom are all reasons bow-to berthing is preferred in our case. (We also don't need to back into a slot while dealing with a side wind!)

Jack
Euro Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2007, 13:56   #10

Boat: Beneteau First 38
Send a message via Skype™ to bornfree
Mounting a pasarelle on the bow.

In response to your request on how to fit a pasarelle at the bow. I would like to advise how we fitted a standard pasarelle to our First 38. I have removed one roller from the bow leaving my cqr anchor in place. I then obtained a lump of teak about 200mm long and cut this to width. I drilled one hole with a spade bit to take the pasarelle pivot stem, one further hole forward to take the locking pin, and one hole to take the bolt that previously held the roller. We have a step though pulpit which makes access easy. I hope you have the same. The pasarelle is hoisted via the hanger by a spinaker halyard, and we have connected 10mm elastic line down to the end of the pasarelle. This enables it to be pulled down easily from the key and left off the pantalan at all times so that it doesnt drag when there is a swell. we also have 10mm elastic line tied at right angles to our springs to stop it swinging back round to the boat.. When we arrive at a marina its a two man job to clip in whilst someone else supports the halyard to take the weight but its then simply dropped to the pantalan/quay.
bornfree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa