Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2011, 04:07   #1

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Morocco

Someone mentioned Morocco in the thread about over-wintering in the Med. Noonsite states that Morocco limits stay to 90 days, with possibility of extension but that yacht likely to incur import duty if extension is granted.

Gibraltar is so close. Is it possible to sail from Morocco to Gibraltar; stay in Gibraltar a week or two; then return to Morocco to re-start the 90 day immigration limit?

Trying to figure out future plans for western Med and obey the Schengen Treaty. This treaty makes cruising the Med very difficult for non-Europeans. Unless Tunisia becomes viable again, Morocco looks like the only other option for western Med.

Judy
S/V BeBe
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 04:27   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Morocco

I would have thought that the marinas in Tunisia are crying out for yachts to go back there after the troubles last winter. You could get a very good deal for a winter stop over. Certainly worth looking into.

Morocco to Gib is a short choppy trip, always windy for some reason.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 09:32   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I don't know the answers. I decided not to go to Morocco, but many people I have since met said it was great.

But from my research:

Gibralter does not have an anchorage. The only one is in the Spanish side so your Shengan visa ticks.

The 2 close Morroccan ports are Spannish so again your Shengan Visa ticks! They are the 2 straight over from Gib.

The Marinas in Gib are expensive (really ouch!) and would not take a booking 3 months prior saying they were full from September to December. I don't know if it was just because I have a smaller boat, or what.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 12:01   #4

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long

Hi - I'm nt sure about the 90 days, but we enjoyed about 30 days there some years back. I would really echo the point about Tunisia though - they are desperate to attract tourists back but everything I've seen says it's really cheap, hospitable and empty right now, so you might well think about heading there.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 12:36   #5

Boat: 'Pacific 30' sloop - being optimized for singlehanding

In a nutshell, could you expain what the Schengen Treaty would mean to a USA flagged vessel? This vessel in question was not purchased in the EU, but sailed over on her own bottom. I understand what the Schengen Treaty implies with passports, but what does it have to do with, or restrict, cruising yachts? Especially yachts coming in to the EU in one country, and departing from another.
Billy Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 16:20   #6

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

The Schengen Treaty only covers people, not your boat. Your boat can stay in the EU for 18 months without paying any taxes. Then just leaving and returning to the EU restarts the clock (we went to Morocco for a short time.)
The rule for people is that you can only be in the EU for 90 days out of every 180 days. But we sailed (a USA flagged vessel) for 3 years and other than one funny experience in Portugal we were never questioned about our visa.
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 14:15   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_thomsen
The Schengen Treaty only covers people, not your boat. Your boat can stay in the EU for 18 months without paying any taxes. Then just leaving and returning to the EU restarts the clock (we went to Morocco for a short time.)
The rule for people is that you can only be in the EU for 90 days out of every 180 days. But we sailed (a USA flagged vessel) for 3 years and other than one funny experience in Portugal we were never questioned about our visa.
Yes it's possible to avoid detection especially if you don't use airports. But it's getting harder and technically it's a serious visa violation. There have been fines in Italy Greece and Germany recently.

The main reason it's doable is that different countries immigration computers aren't connected. That's slowly changing.

Dave
Old 20-07-2011, 22:24   #8

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

We have 4 American friends on 2 boats who have been hit with fines for violating Schengen Treaty. Each person was fined 1250 euro on 1 boat and each person was fined 1200 euro on the 2nd boat. They learned the hard way that more ports are being added to computerized system and it is no longer easy to exceed the 90 day limit without facing financial consequences.

We don't have that kind of money to throw away just because we could not be bothered with following the laws. So we will not try slipping through the system and exceeding 90 days in all combined EU countries.

Unless Tunisia is once again safe to visit, to my knowledge that leaves only Turkey, Croatia or Morocco as possibilities for getting out of EU for the required 90 days before re-entering EU. Add the notorious bad winter weather in the Med to the geographic challenges, and it makes it very difficult today for a USA boat to cruise the Med. I haven't checked because it does not concern us, but I think the same is true for Australians and New Zealanders -- all non-EU residents.

Judy
S/V BeBe
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 03:41   #9

I stayed in Mohammedia, near Casablanca a few years back. A lovely town with a yacht friendly marina. We were on a 54 ft boat, so a bit of a squeeze to the mooring but the locals were friendly and helped us in. Also friendly authorities and very safe for the boat. A great experience. Don't get put off about Morocco, things are on the improvement.
tino280849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 05:38   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, tino280849.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 05:48   #11

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia

I've just been to Ceuta (Spanish enclave), lovely stuff, drop them an email for winter prices

First Moroccan marina is Smir, most expensive one reportedly (King keeps his boaty there), just 15 miles from Gib though
Old 21-09-2011, 07:41   #12

Boat: FP Lipari, 11.95 metres

Just been to Smir and Ceuta, currently in Melilla, another Spanish enclave. Smir is expensive - about twice what we were charged in Gibraltar or La Linea and virtually empty. Ceuta was even dearer (but also full when we left last weekend) and is included in Schengen. Melilla is not very crowded and half the price of La Linea or Gib - once again same as mainland Spain. I know of 2 boats currently enroute to Tunisia with the intention of wintering but I have no direct knowledge of the current situation. One option we are considering is to divide our time between Morocco and Gibraltar. Not sure how US citizens fare in Gib but Australians can usually get up to 6 months.
Regards
Gary
Takamoana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 01:30   #13

Location: At present in Turkey, after a good 10 weeks in the Red Sea
Boat: 50ft Cruiser

We are in Gib at the moment in Marina Bay marina, 14.5 m yacht 29E a night which is not excessive we paid 50E a night at Cartagena. There seems to be plenty of room, we arrived without a booking they sent us to the anchorage for a couple of hours then said they had space, I think that was mainly because we arrived just as they opened for the day so they werent quite "awake". There are still lots of spaces here.
The anchorage outside La Linea marina seems very good and protected behind a sea wall. I am not sure how long you could stay there but could I suppose always pop into one of the marinas for a couple of days then go back.
The Schengan is for people not yachts. 18mths for yachts only takes a day out to reset clock.
Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:16   #14

Boat: Moody 54

Morocco is Good .... and Tunisia too (but it's filling up very quickly) .... but no-one mentions Algeria. There are some lovely ports and marinas on the Med Coast, Sidi Ferruch and also Oran. Does anyone have current experience?
Soundwayve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:52   #15

Boat: Fisher, 31, 9,65M + Hallberg 33 Mistral
http://www.portoturisticomarinadirag...sualizza/id/17
I know this marina is not in western, but on Sicily in mid Med. The prices are affordable though, and it was recommended to me, unfortunately, after i had committed for winter storage near Rome.
Selene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Morocco