Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2016, 01:32   #1

Meltimi boltholes in the Cyclades

hi all, we'll be in the Aegean in July and August, so encountering the Meltimi inevitable. We'll mostly be hanging out around Serifos, Paros, Naxos, ios etc. If you've found some anchorages in this area with good shelter from this wind, and good holding, I'd appreciate the info!

We have 60 metres of chain and a 30kg Rocna, and good technique that have served us well for 3 seasons, always held. If you think it not enough chain for a 38 foot cat on these islands, I guess I'd rather know now.

cheers
Ange
AngeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 05:32   #2
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Meltimi boltholes in the Cyclades

Hello Ange,
There are a lot of them. I use Google Earth and my nearly worn out Greek Waters Pilot to find safe harbors from the Meltemi. The wind always blows from the North, mostly NE so your trying to find spots not exposed to that direction. Naxos, nearly none. Paros of course has Naousa and Parikia. Ios is mostly just the harbor but no anchoring. Milos, not much inside the caldera IMO. Vathi on Sifnos is very good.

As for your chain and anchor, they should be ok. When in doubt, let it out. I'm going with twice that length this year of new G7 10mm. The most protected spots in harbors are generally chock full of boats when the wind is really blowing and I want to be able to anchor in 30 meters of water all by myself.

You most likely will see Palarran this summer in the Cyclades but my friend will be on her instead of me. We are heading up to the Sporades in August. Have a nice cruise.
David
Old 30-04-2016, 12:58   #3

Thanks for taking the time to answer, really useful suggestions. Yes other boats are a hazard in wind - we witnessed a marriage break up one night in Mljet Croatia where a boat circled for hours after dragging anchor, with the couple angrily shouting into the wind. Can see the sense in new chain. Sorry to miss you in Cyclades, will look for your buddy. We are on Murihiku.
Ange

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-05-2016, 23:59   #4

Boat: between boats

Gday Ange

I have a 25kg spade and 60M chain on our 42 foot cat and not had any wind related dragging when swinging to anchor so reckon you will have plenty. Bottoms are good holding 95% of locations.

Watch the holding off the quay stern to at Parikia Paros though! Palarran knows why I say this

Paros and Mykonos have good options as do the Little Cyclades which get a bit of respite from the more moderate Meltimis it seems being in the lee of Naxos. Astipaliya is one of our favourites and has several great boltholes away from the crowds and a usually not too busy town quay.

We will be there on Catalyst from late June to August again this year so will keep an eye out.

cheers
John
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Gday Ange

I have a 25kg spade and 60M chain on our 42 foot cat and not had any wind related dragging when swinging to anchor so reckon you will have plenty. Bottoms are good holding 95% of locations.

Watch the holding off the quay stern to at Parikia Paros though! Palarran knows why I say this

Paros and Mykonos have good options as do the Little Cyclades which get a bit of respite from the more moderate Meltimis it seems being in the lee of Naxos. Astipaliya is one of our favourites and has several great boltholes away from the crowds and a usually not too busy town quay.

We will be there on Catalyst from late June to August again this year so will keep an eye out.

cheers
John
Cheers John, be good to thank you in person, appreciate the info

Ange
Old 02-05-2016, 03:41   #6

Boat: Comet 41s

The ideal length of the chain has to do with the deep. No sense in having more than 11 times the deep and in most cases 7 times will be enough. On very strong winds the chain will be completely stretched so what matters is the angle of the chain with the anchor.

Some will consider it another way: deep of the water plus height of the bow (around 1m)X4+2 times the LOA of the boat in meters. That will give for a deep of 4.0m and a 12m meters boat: 44m of chain

I don't understand what the length of the boat has to do with it and I prefere in extreme circumstances and if possible to have close to 10 times the deep and that is only possible if you chose carefully the place where you will anchor to wait the blow to go away. The good news is that most prefer to do that at a Port or marina so most of anchorages on those waters and those conditions will not have many boats on anchor.

On that area of the Cyclades you will find plenty of anchorages. Use this pilot book:Publications
and you will get plenty information.

Regarding my personal experience on the area on those months I had got in two months about 2 to 3 times where I prefered to stay at anchor for 2 to 3 days till the blow went away. I will prefer to stay at anchor when a F8 is forecasted and even with a F7 if the sailing I want to do is not downwind.

I have heard of longer blows (till a week) but I never got that in two years sailing there.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:40   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Our only problem in the anchorages this past summer were the charter boats that came in and short hooked it - the wind picked up and they headed out - and on one occasion - in the western islands - they were dropping on top of us and we told them to close and they just blew us off until they started to drag and we had to shorten anchor to miss them as they went by and then we had to reanchor -

just watch the charter boats
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 14:41   #8

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

In case of Paros. North West corner of Noussa Bay is a good hideout.Make sure not to take the spot underneath the crevice of the rockwall.It creates a funnel for the wind.
Still very good wave shelter.Good holding.

The small bay between the small island on Amorgos North Side and Amorgos itself is very remote but well sheltered from waves. Still it's windy to some degree.
Possibly use several anchors.

Not sure about the depth there was there with a multihull.

Enjoy!

www.ladyrover.jimdo.com
Old 04-05-2016, 16:33   #9

Thanks Polux - am hoping not to encounter the week long meltimi, although looks like a lovely place to be waiting. Am reassured about our chain length, its served us well til now.

Know what you mean Chuckr about the hazards of charterers. We dived on our anchor in Kastos, there were over 20 charter boats and all their anchors were just lying on their sides not dug in. Hard to manage the ones that arrive late and anchor too close.

And thanks Franziska for your information, most useful. We are on a catamaran too, so can go fairly shallow - although we tend not to!

heading to the boat from here in New Zealand soon, getting excited.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:44   #10
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
The small bay between the small island on Amorgos North Side and Amorgos itself is very remote but well sheltered from waves. Still it's windy to some degree.
Possibly use several anchors.

Not sure about the depth there was there with a multihull.

Enjoy!

Welcome to the Woods Mira 35 - Catamaran Lady Rovers Website!
I wondered about this bay when I was on Amorgos last year. It looks pretty nice. I'd probably try to stern tie to the small island if there. The hotel complex on Amorgos looks like a nice spot for drinks and food. No one was there on a boat though.

Tags
Cyclades