Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-01-2011, 09:22   #1

Mediterranean Charter in April

Hello, I'm new to this forum (though a cruiser for many years). I'm trying to plan a bareboat charter in the Mediterranean in April (7 days beginning around April 16). I know that's a little early in the season. So I'd be interested in any advice regarding the best Mediterranean locations to charter in April (where are conditions best) and recommendations on reputable charter companies. Thanks for any suggestions!

cokaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 05:14   #2

One thing I'd do is try to stick to the lower latitudes, since many destinations in mid-April may be subject to cold fronts coming off of the continent. Greece/Turkey may be a bit warmer (mid 60s F) and more dry than Italy, France, or Croatia. That being said, Croatia is a beautiful charter area - I really liked islands off of Split. Keep in mind that water will be still fairly cold.

CharterExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 08:11   #3

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
IMHO Med coast of Turkey - Gocek or Bodrum. As others have said the further south the better.
Don't take life too seriously. No ones going to make it out alive......Go see our blog at
swagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 03:21   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Lipari 2011, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013
The warmer part of Turkey Gocek-Finike would be around 20-25 C during the day and 10-14 C in the night, water temp. around 20 C. Marmaris could be a bit cooler, Bodrum out of question...
I would opt for a company in Marmaris or Göcek and head south west. Göcek or Marmaris Finike one way is the best option. BNe aware that most of the charter companies are not operative before May.

yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 09:41   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
I think You can also consider southern part of Dodecanese:
Rhodes, Simi, Nisiros, Tilos and Chalki. Good cruising ground for a week sailing and the weather similar as in Turkey.
With bigger companies like Vernicos You can expect substantial "pre-season" discount, I suppose.
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 13:27   #6

Boat: Bavaria 37
I am used to start sailing from mid april from Kusadasi... It is very difficult to predict the weather, but I suppose that if you choose these period it means you are not looking for sun and warm bathing... Even if it can be the case (I remember of a Sirocco and 28 degrees onboard at these period) ...
Well, I agree with the idea of sailing along the Dodecanesis islands and the south of Turkey... You will have the privilege to have room in Symy or Kastelorizo... And that it priceless !!!
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 07:13   #7

Yup, it's a bit early in the season to be cruising the med. Chances are you'll get a blow no matter where you are. I've spent a few summers cruising from Corfu to Keffallonia. In my opinion this is one of the best cruising grounds in the mMed.Normal wind patterns are a breeze out of the west during the day, and it doesn't blow at night. BIG PLUS. There is a large charter fleet leaving out of Gouvia Marina in Corfu. Navigation is very easy, one unmarked rock between Paxos and the mainland, about six feeet deep. Hve fun

waldo is offline   Reply With Quote

charter, mediterranean

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: