Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2018, 20:12   #91

Boat: Lagoon 400 40'
Re: Med cruising and managing Schengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Possibilities View Post
fieldtrip400
No, we haven’t. Although it is something we still want to do, these restrictions are making Med cruising less attractive. (And new to me, as posted by Catapult, the skipper must be 6 months away out of every 12) We plan to cruise locally this year (ie East Coast). Ideally there will be some policy changes. If not, we will decide to go anyway and deal with it or chose different cruising grounds.
Well we're in that space right now getting ready to leave... we may be shifting out boat work outside of Schengen to Marmaris though to try to hold on to some time. have a great summer!

Family is my safe harbor :-)
fieldtrip400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 20:21   #92

Boat: LAGOON 400

forget med cruising and schengen : wars, rubbish, pollution and refugees.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 00:38   #93

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldtrip400 View Post
Well we're in that space right now getting ready to leave... we may be shifting out boat work outside of Schengen to Marmaris though to try to hold on to some time. have a great summer!

We can only tell you what we have done - you make your own decisions. We are starting our 4th year in the Med and we carry USA passports. We go in and out of Schengen so many times we can no longer count. We do work the system a bit but we do try to comply. We have wintered over in Tunisia 2x, Turkey 3x and hope for a new winter home this next winter. You do have to plan and go to unconventional places and you must watch your days but also where to check out does make a difference.
We are not planning to sail Schengen this year as our plan (we plan God decides) is to sail the south Turkish coast, Cyprus and on to Israel but in '19 we want to go back to Schengen as we have missed north Italy, France and north Spain before heading to Canaries and a crossing. We do know we need to watch our days as we are not sure how strict the guys in the Canaries are on Schengen days.

You can do it but you must plan a lot and be unconventional.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 00:47   #94

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
WHAT?? Oh my gosh the Med is incredible. The history, the beauty, the sometimes the sailing. Yea Schengen is a bit of a thorn in the side but can be dealt with if you think out of the box. And each and every time we think we have seen it all we get surprised and find something even more amazing. If Schengen were not such a thorn we may stay longer but 5 years will be enough and we will have sailed almost the entire Med as well as the Black Sea.

I would say more about your posting but will stay nice.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 01:34   #95

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
WHAT?? Oh my gosh the Med is incredible. The history, the beauty, the sometimes the sailing. Yea Schengen is a bit of a thorn in the side but can be dealt with if you think out of the box. And each and every time we think we have seen it all we get surprised and find something even more amazing. If Schengen were not such a thorn we may stay longer but 5 years will be enough and we will have sailed almost the entire Med as well as the Black Sea.

yeah, i am glad you enjoy it. Maybe I read too much BBC news.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 23:28   #96

Boat: Lagoon 400 40'

Quote:
We can only tell you what we have done - you make your own decisions. We are starting our 4th year in the Med and we carry USA passports. We go in and out of Schengen so many times we can no longer count. We do work the system a bit but we do try to comply. We have wintered over in Tunisia 2x, Turkey 3x and hope for a new winter home this next winter. You do have to plan and go to unconventional places and you must watch your days but also where to check out does make a difference.
We are not planning to sail Schengen this year as our plan (we plan God decides) is to sail the south Turkish coast, Cyprus and on to Israel but in '19 we want to go back to Schengen as we have missed north Italy, France and north Spain before heading to Canaries and a crossing. We do know we need to watch our days as we are not sure how strict the guys in the Canaries are on Schengen days.

You can do it but you must plan a lot and be unconventional.
Thanks for your message. We are considering having the boat moved to Marmaris from Kos to get some work done before we set off (like pulling teeth for months to get things done on Kos). Trying to find a good water maker and install that doesn't cost an arm and a leg along with solar radar AIS asymmetrical anchor and freezer done before or when we arrive.Marmaris helps out of schengen, but hope the work is quality, too. Your trip sounds wonderful and love that you can continue to return each year.

Family is my safe harbor :-)
fieldtrip400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 05:14   #97

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldtrip400 View Post
Thanks for your message. We are considering having the boat moved to Marmaris from Kos to get some work done before we set off (like pulling teeth for months to get things done on Kos). Trying to find a good water maker and install that doesn't cost an arm and a leg along with solar radar AIS asymmetrical anchor and freezer done before or when we arrive.Marmaris helps out of schengen, but hope the work is quality, too. Your trip sounds wonderful and love that you can continue to return each year.
HIGHLY recommend going to Marmaris, and seeing the folks at OffShore Yachting (based at Albatross Marina) . to get your work done. (YEOLA on the forums here, runs Offshore Yachting)

High quality, great people, reasonably priced.
We are back here for the second year getting some things done (Solar Panels, MMPT Chargers, new Victron Inverter). The Sparky here is very good.
See my thread in Lagoon Forum 'Refit for a Cruising boat' . for the work they have done already.

We've had . Haulout & Paint, Solar Array Built, Watermaker Installed, New Standing Rigging, Dishwasher removed, misc Wiring, a Pile of woodwork/Cabinetry, Winches upgraded to Electric, new swim ladder, etc etc.
Some is done by the offshore team itself, some by local companies they contract and supervise (such as UK Sails, and the Riggers in town).

Mark
Lagoon 450F - Currently in Marmaris, Turkey.
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 13:15   #98

Boat: Amel 54

We are US citizens considering a sailboat in Spain. Thing is we won't be ready to retire until 2020 and are thinking we can keep the boat there in marina (or on the hard, taking her out prior to a visit) coming out several times for a week or 2 in the meantime to sail. Could you direct me to a web site or offer insight as to how/if the 180 day rule applies in this case? Since we are not staying on her, just mainly storing her there.
The VAT is paid for 2018, will there be annual fees/taxes in Spain and what is this I read about having to take a test to get a license to pilot the boat (in Spanish)? Is that fact or fiction. A
Thank you for advise, knowledge or links you can provide about this.
reynoldsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 13:33   #99
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

poiu-
Your mileage may vary, but the in US an "entrepreneur" is generally thought of as someone who is laying new ground and creating something new. Often building a new business or opening a new field Whereas being self-employed usually means NO EMPLOYEES and doing something that is already very commonly done, like simply being another doctor or plumber or carpenter, but doing it on your own.
FWIW.

I have no idea how UK regulations would define entrepreneur. Often, nations are looking for someone that is investing, creating a business and jobs company, not just someone self-employed. IIRC the US hands out 10,000 (H5? B5?) long term visas or green cards a year, just requiring something like a half million dollars being invested in a new enterprise and a promise to employ 20 US workers in it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 14:38   #100

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynoldsa View Post
We are US citizens considering a sailboat in Spain. Thing is we won't be ready to retire until 2020 and are thinking we can keep the boat there in marina (or on the hard, taking her out prior to a visit) coming out several times for a week or 2 in the meantime to sail. Could you direct me to a web site or offer insight as to how/if the 180 day rule applies in this case? Since we are not staying on her, just mainly storing her there.
The VAT is paid for 2018, will there be annual fees/taxes in Spain and what is this I read about having to take a test to get a license to pilot the boat (in Spanish)? Is that fact or fiction. A
Thank you for advise, knowledge or links you can provide about this.
First, search and read the many posts on CF about Schengen and VAT issues. However, to sum it up US citizens (without visas) are limited to spending 90 days in Schengen countries during any 180 period. Boats that haven't paid VAT (recently, like within the past 24 or 36 months) are subject to VAT if the boat remains continously within the EU for more than 18 months.

VAT is not an annual tax, it is a tax imposed when something is purchased, like a boat. Unless the boat you are considering purchasing was purchased by another party in 2018, I highly doubt the claim that "The VAT is paid for 2018".

The laws of the boat's flag determine whether you need a license. Spain requires Spanish flagged vessels to have a license. You will need to decide where you want to flag any boat that you may consider purchasing. There are many factors that should be considered. If you flag with USA, you will need to import the vessel which requires paying an import tax.

I recommend you reconsider purchasing a boat in 2018 only to let it sit unused for almost 2 years. Machines like boats function best when used frequently.
Old 22-04-2018, 14:50   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
Refugees are not criminals. For the most part they are scared people (usually families with children) fleeing unimaginably terrible (usually violent) situations.

The conditions that create refugees are abhorrent not the refugees.
Old 22-04-2018, 15:41   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccannan View Post
First, search and read the many posts on CF about Schengen and VAT issues. However, to sum it up US citizens (without visas) are limited to spending 90 days in Schengen countries during any 180 period. Boats that haven't paid VAT (recently, like within the past 24 or 36 months) are subject to VAT if the boat remains continously within the EU for more than 18 months.

VAT is not an annual tax, it is a tax imposed when something is purchased, like a boat. Unless the boat you are considering purchasing was purchased by another party in 2018, I highly doubt the claim that "The VAT is paid for 2018".

The laws of the boat's flag determine whether you need a license. Spain requires Spanish flagged vessels to have a license. You will need to decide where you want to flag any boat that you may consider purchasing. There are many factors that should be considered. If you flag with USA, you will need to import the vessel which requires paying an import tax.

I recommend you reconsider purchasing a boat in 2018 only to let it sit unused for almost 2 years. Machines like boats function best when used frequently.
I think I used incorrect terminology. I think the key phrases are:

US citizens (without long stay visas) are limited to spending 90 days in most any EU countries during any 180 period. Boats that haven't paid VAT (recently, like within the past 24 or 36 months) are subject to VAT if the boat remains continuously within most EU countries (that are part of a common trade and taxation union) for more than 18 months.

Like most everything there are exceptions to the rules.
Old 22-04-2018, 22:15   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccannan View Post
I think I used incorrect terminology. I think the key phrases are:

US citizens (without long stay visas) are limited to spending 90 days in most any EU countries during any 180 period. Boats that haven't paid VAT (recently, like within the past 24 or 36 months) are subject to VAT if the boat remains continuously within most EU countries (that are part of a common trade and taxation union) for more than 18 months.

Like most everything there are exceptions to the rules.
Visa and VAT are separate things.
- As a US Citizen, you get 90 days out of the last 180 days on a rolling basis unless you can come up with residency which is not straight forward and may incur significant tax implications.
- If the boat is VAT paid and hasn't left the EU for years, it's VAT paid. End of story (assuming they produce the paperwork proof). A VAT paid boat can stay forever in the EU.

The 18month temporary import for non-VAT paid boats relates to non-Residents (resident not citizen) and can be extended by putting the boat in bond (basically getting the local official to sign of that you haven't been using it for a period of time) but even then you need to get it out once the 18 months are used up.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 00:39   #104

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:

Hi,the quote that this post is referring to is just a post from an acknowledged troll looking for "an internet fight", disregard and enjoy life.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 01:14   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Visa and VAT are separate things.
- As a US Citizen, you get 90 days out of the last 180 days on a rolling basis unless you can come up with residency which is not straight forward and may incur significant tax implications.
- If the boat is VAT paid and hasn't left the EU for years, it's VAT paid. End of story (assuming they produce the paperwork proof). A VAT paid boat can stay forever in the EU.

The 18month temporary import for non-VAT paid boats relates to non-Residents (resident not citizen) and can be extended by putting the boat in bond (basically getting the local official to sign of that you haven't been using it for a period of time) but even then you need to get it out once the 18 months are used up.
Below is a link that supports my previous post re VAT.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boat-conte...s-an-overview/

Tags
cruising