Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2019, 18:30   #151

Boat: Colvic Victor 50
Re: Med cruising and managing Schengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
It is my understanding that SA passport is fine and British does not need it until Brexit occurs...
To the procedure:
You apply for a meeting at your local Greek consulate (we got an appointment dated 3 months after first application email...).

The visa is based on each applicant personal financial independence, i.e. you prove to the Greeks that you will not need any support from them during your (extended) stay.
To prove it you are will be asked to bring one or all of the following (depending on the particular consular officer you deal with:
1. Letter from your bank, certifying that each applicant has steady monthly income of at least €2,000 (or steady annual income over €24,000).
2. Your bank statements of last 3 month, showing the info a.m.
3. Salary or pension slips showing the above.

This is the basic requirement (it may be replaced by investment in property - I did not check this option).
Next:
1. Application form (in English) + photo of applicant.
2. Health or travel insurance policy of year duration (to ensure that you will have cover for health issues during your stay).
3. Passport (which will remain in the consulate until visa is granted. In Tel-Aviv it took one week).
4. Medical certificate, stating that you do not carry contagious diseases (there is a form for this).
5. Police certificate that you have no criminal record.
6. Some proof of accommodation - we presented our marina contract. (I do not know what will be the response to someone that has no permanent base in Greece - just cruising around for the whole year)
7. Fee of € 180, in local currency.
8. Personal interview by the visa officer.

W were advised by the consulate, at the start, to use help of Greek law office. However we went alone, with some help of a nice Greek lady who is sailing agent and is well versed in the process.

After the above described Via Dolorosa, we got a visa for 300 days. It was explained to us that we are entitled to apply to Greek ministry for a residence permit (which is not the visa) initially for a year, and when this permit expires it may be renewed for another 2 years. This incurs separate fees. I am not sure of the cost.
On top of those costs is going to be the new Greek Cruising Tax. It is going to work out at about !33 Euros per month the best I can tell. Not so sure I want to get the 300 day visa at that rate!!
Hawkeye118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 19:39   #152

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye118 View Post
On top of those costs is going to be the new Greek Cruising Tax. It is going to work out at about !33 Euros per month the best I can tell. Not so sure I want to get the 300 day visa at that rate!!
The tax is on the boat, not on you. The visa is a solution for people who want to overstay the basic 90 out of 180 days.
The tax is due on any active boat, any period. If you want to stay in Greece for any period, pay the tax. Want to leave - no need for special visa and no tax...
Old 31-07-2020, 08:32   #153

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

My 2 year greek temp residency ran out last winter. Trying to renew it seemed to be expensive, don't remember the cost but it was much more than a few hundred. With Covid it seemed to be a major PITA. I am in Italy now and it seems there is a possibility to get a temp residency fairly easy and you don't have to apply in your home country. Am I reading this wrong or has someone done this? I am US citizen and US boat.
Old 31-07-2020, 11:04   #154

Boat: Dehler 36 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsaircpt View Post
If you can make the passage try the stretch of coast in Easterm Mediterranean from Marmaris to Kas. No Schengen nonsense, great marinas, vast range of bays and Fjoerds to pick from as well as super sheltered large bays where you can pick lots of anchorages with good holding and easy access to groceries and water. Marmaris, Fethiye, Kas all contain multiple marinas and excellent yacht repairs and services. You could easly winter there moving from bay to bay and not break a sweat.
I totally agree with this. Best cruising grounds in the whole Med.
Doubleplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 12:12   #155

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleplay View Post
I totally agree with this. Best cruising grounds in the whole Med.
Correct, only the beatiful coast goes further east to Kekova, Finike and then north to Kemer.

Further east lies Antalia, less interesting stretch of coast in my opinion.
Also further west than described, from Marmaris all the way through Datca and south/east Gokova bay.
Than longer leg to Bodrum and Turgutreis. Both nice.
So the total of the beautiful coast is from Bodrum to Kemer.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 04:18   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The vast majority of CF respondents to threads such as these don't know how to work around the rules and still be in compliance. I'm a Canadian citizen who lives 6-7 months continuously here in the Med on a boat every year, totally legal without any visa issues. Been doing it for six years now. No sneaking around, all done right, several different ways to do it, it just requires some careful planning.

Please search the data base first for my many prior posts on this subject, then contact me via PM if you have any more questions. Just search my prior posts.

Sitting here right now in beautiful Croatia... did you know that Croatia is outside of Schengen? It's OK, most don't. Late next week I'll be in Montenegro.... also another non-Schengen country which is stunningly beautiful.
How I can contact you?
wjuarbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising