Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2016, 07:09   #1

Boat: Hallberg Rassy
Marseilles - Canarie Islands * any tips

Hi,

Does anybody have any tips or "must knows" about sailing in the med around this time of year? how it can be done safely but also on a budget. Big marinas and pricey places, id love to skip.

I started my trip in Sweden, with 5h of sailing experience with anothers boat. My first sail on my Albin Vega was south, on this voyage. So you could call it the Maiden Voyage.

Im now in the south of france planning to head for the Canaries to hide from the cold and to be in position for a loosely planned crossing (depending on if i find a more experienced sailing partner).

The boat: Albin Vega from 1966. Traditional rigging. 4hp outboard engine (so i wont be motoring through hard weather

/ Cpt. Black Sparrow of SOL
Cpt. Black SOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:29   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Marseilles - Canarie Islands * any tips

Hejsan,

You have missed the perfect timing. You should be here by now. You are sailing a small boat.

Get out of the Med in short and well wx timed stunts. Take no risks. Once in Gib, wait out and get a clean long (5 days minimum) window then put the medal on the pedal. BTW Gib and the Canaries your enemy are fronts and low rolling in from the West. Also any bad lows to the S/W of the Canaries.

When you are in the Gib and hesitant about your window, you can ping me a PM and I can look up the wx sources and let you know what they say.

You can also coast from Gib to Agadir in stages then one longer leg to Lanzarote.

This is easily doable but do not take any risks in your boat. Step lightly and read wx forecasts VERY carefully.

Cheers,
b
Las Palmas
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:55   #3

Boat: Steel ketch one of bay De Vries Lentsch design

Hi,

We are in Ibiza at the moment. You safely daysail your way south, just check the weather conditions and especially the thunderstorms warnings at the moment. Prices dropped down 70% since October and numerous anchorages around the islands. Spanish mainland is a different story but again prices dropped down in extreme since October started.

Cheers,
Jos
Old 08-10-2016, 02:57   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingselena View Post
Hi,

We are in Ibiza at the moment. You safely daysail your way south, just check the weather conditions and especially the thunderstorms warnings at the moment. Prices dropped down 70% since October and numerous anchorages around the islands. Spanish mainland is a different story but again prices dropped down in extreme since October started.

Cheers,
Jos
Hi Jos!

Spanish mainland is different? as in its the more expensive choice? Ibiza sounds sweet for a day or two, but something has convinced me that its super expensive ? What kind of marina fee's ,mooring fee's etc.

The loose plan is to get som day sails in to get re-aquainted with the sailing again and after that try some over night sails on.

route wise. Any tips on a fast route which doesnt entail more than 2 nights at sea?

thanks
Old 08-10-2016, 02:59   #5

Hi B!

Thanks for the fast and informative response. We are going to research these points, thats for sure! I might shoot you a message from gibraltar too cause that will most likley be our longest sail to do..

thanks B
Old 08-10-2016, 03:24   #6

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

Marinas in most of Mediterranean Spain, and the Balearics are somewhat expensive. But there are plenty of sheltered anchorages on the northern, eastern, and southern coasts of Mallorca. Of course, Menorca has Mahon which is a very well protected harbor. Ibiza has plenty of well protected anchorages too. After Ibiza you can either make a non-stop sail to La Linea, Spain (next to Gib), or you can make shorter day trips down the mainland coast. I just did the same trip, but from Barcelona to Cadiz in September. I recommend you get moving south as the weather is changing for the worse.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:26   #7

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

You can find free anchorages all around the Balearics, no need pay for a marina slip, or any other mooring fees. Food is great and cheap.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:43   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Marseilles - Canarie Islands * any tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Black SOL View Post
Hi,

Does anybody have any tips or "must knows" about sailing in the med around this time of year? how it can be done safely but also on a budget. Big marinas and pricey places, id love to skip.

I started my trip in Sweden, with 5h of sailing experience with anothers boat. My first sail on my Albin Vega was south, on this voyage. So you could call it the Maiden Voyage.

Im now in the south of france planning to head for the Canaries to hide from the cold and to be in position for a loosely planned crossing (depending on if i find a more experienced sailing partner).

The boat: Albin Vega from 1966. Traditional rigging. 4hp outboard engine (so i wont be motoring through hard weather

/ Cpt. Black Sparrow of SOL
Personally I'd pick a decent 3day window and head for Pollensa (225nm) on NE Mallorca.. good anchorage in sand then move round to Soller to await a hole for a run down to the W of Ibiza where there's a selection of anchorages..
From Ibiza its another choice.. a long hop (200+nm) to Almerimar where one can anchor in a sheltered spot outside the Marina.. or a selection of fair weather anchorages or marinas..
Almerimar is the cheapest marina I know in the Med.. so going in won't break the bank and you may appreciate the facilities for a couple of days by then.
From Almerimar its just 120 odd miles max to Gib.. however this is often a fairly windless area so coastal sailing using the breezes close into the coast may be the best bet considering your engine.. or.. hang out at Almerimar till you get a good window of E winds

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 13:02   #9

Hi guys, and thank you for your responses. We are now 1 day away from the coast. 1 day away from sailing.....if we only would have a mast shoe/foot. Im going nuts, impatience is running wild. I left sweden on this little boat with the dream of sailing the med, and now im here, but without a mastfoot

To Kelpie. its the shoe of the mast that then sits on the deck that i am talking about. I definatly explained it poorly (its all still new) but thats the part i mean. Does anybody have any tips of people who could have it made? and sent ? or maybe some shop in south of france that you guys have had good experiences with ?
Old 09-10-2016, 13:40   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

What happened to the old one..??

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 09-10-2016, 13:44   #11

Hey!

the original shoe/ foot sunk to the bottom of the sea. does anybody have a picture or measurments of the original one? its to the gold coloured ian proctor masts.
Old 09-10-2016, 14:20   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

You should be able to make your own pattern.. the marks on your coach roof should give you the base plate dimensions, bolt hole locations.
Then using the dimensions of the mast get one of these fabricated.. its pretty straight forward.. two plates either side around 14" high with a 6" back plate.
two holes in the plates, one low down and the second high enough to act as a pivot for when you want to lower the mast for any reason.. never need a crane again.
Oh..!! and you'll need matching sleeved holes in the mast bottom.. should be relatively cheap and done by any welder.
See picture for what I mean,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01158.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	132629  

Old 09-10-2016, 15:40   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Black SOL View Post
Hey!

the original shoe/ foot sunk to the bottom of the sea. does anybody have a picture or measurments of the original one? its to the gold coloured ian proctor masts.

You kidding?

You can post but cannot google an image?

What is your tub anyways?

b.
Old 09-10-2016, 15:46   #14

Click the link maybe this one would fit. Things like this can be fabricated on spot.

http://cdn.boatshed.com/autoimage-13...c_MastBase.jpg

If you extend on the trouble someone will have a good idea on how to sort it out.

Cheers,
b.
Old 09-10-2016, 15:48   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

See picture for what I mean,

BTW What design is the boat pictured? I like it. I have not seen this design before, I think.

THX in advance!

Hugs,
b.