Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2017, 06:45   #1

Marmaris to Istanbul in January??? Weather???

I have a 36ft Beneteau Sailboat purchased last year, now in Marmaris (Turkey).
The Boat itself is well equipped and will have AIS and Radar so can cruise also at night in busy waters.

I have some sailing experience, a few weeks charter and a few weeks with my own boat, but mostly in nice weather, so not very experienced regarding storms.

I work in Istanbul, and thought it would be really cool to have the boat there. The problem is, I only have two weeks of vacation in late January...

I know nobody can predict the wind at that time, but i would be very happy if somebody experienced crusing the aegean could tell me if it is doable or complete madness.

my plan was to go with a friend, so we could go 24 hours a day.
If we could catch wind from south that would be perfect, if it is calm we could still motor and make 5 - 6 kn, the problem is that with northerly winds which seem to be prevailing, my boat is quite slow under engine against wind and waves.

The total distance is about 500 nautical miles.

What do you think?

Markus
The total
vw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:08   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Marmaris to Istanbul in January??? Weather???

3 -4,days southerly winds are much more common in the winter,it will probably be like sailing here in the uk during the summer!
you could be lucky with the weather,or unlucky,but plenty of places to duck into if conditions are not good.
take plenty of warm cloths and be prepared to motor like hell if conditions are right.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 14:02   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

I did this route several times both way. As you said, the prevailing winds are northerly / west northerly. Sometimes southerlies comes but this is usually in spring or automn, very rarely in January..

-if you find a southerly, go, go, go.. as much as you can, southerlies don't last long.
-particulary after Kusadası, it will be damn cold, after Dardanelle it may even snow..
-if the northerlies are strong, plan where to hide. The Furino and Chios channels are critical, watch out for the right time to pass, usually late in the night or early in the morning the weather is quiter.
-In the Dardanelle straight you will have 4-5 kts of current against you and because of heavy traffic + city lights, the night sailing is very difficult. Before crossing the straight, you can spend some time in Bozcaada island marina. (if you go in dark in winter, there will be nobody to take yr lines..)
-From there on it's easier. In worst case, go behind the Marmara island, Mürefte is an option but the entry is shollow althought I believe you can make it with 36 footer.

Good luck

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 14:01   #4

You sure can can get nasty northerlies, but that can be said of many places for January. Yachties I know in Kas say you can grab the odd southerly then.

Do you have capable crew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw1961 View Post
I have a 36ft Beneteau Sailboat purchased last year, now in Marmaris (Turkey).
The Boat itself is well equipped and will have AIS and Radar so can cruise also at night in busy waters.

I have some sailing experience, a few weeks charter and a few weeks with my own boat, but mostly in nice weather, so not very experienced regarding storms.

I work in Istanbul, and thought it would be really cool to have the boat there. The problem is, I only have two weeks of vacation in late January...

I know nobody can predict the wind at that time, but i would be very happy if somebody experienced crusing the aegean could tell me if it is doable or complete madness.

my plan was to go with a friend, so we could go 24 hours a day.
If we could catch wind from south that would be perfect, if it is calm we could still motor and make 5 - 6 kn, the problem is that with northerly winds which seem to be prevailing, my boat is quite slow under engine against wind and waves.

The total distance is about 500 nautical miles.

What do you think?

Markus
The total
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 02:42   #5

Thank you very much for your answers. I will let you know how it was!

Yelova, Can i cross greek waters (not anchoring or docking, just cross their territorial waters) without checking out in Turkey or should i strictly stay in turkish waters?
vw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 03:06   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw1961 View Post
Yelova, Can i cross greek waters (not anchoring or docking, just cross their territorial waters) without checking out in Turkey or should i strictly stay in turkish waters?
Of course you can..Put the courtesy greek flag on when you sail on greek waters. That's all..

Good luck..

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 22:10   #7

Boat: moody 34 cc

Hi, first of all fair winds.. you can not go 24 hours in a day.. night time is really freezing here with 88% humid.. I may prefer to make it with shorter routes. You may face with sudden weather changings in Med between the islands abd sea would be severe. It is not easy to make your route under the sail because you will always find northerly winds. Southerly is so rare in Jan. Fourni and Dilek passages are difficult. Make them in a calm days. Or stay in a cheap marina as Kas or Bodrum Gulluk..or Marmaris Yat Marina in Yalancibogaz for a 6 months..then make it on May.. If you are insist to make it on Jan.. I can give the info of some harbours as well..
dylekx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Istanbul, weather