Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2013, 03:36   #1

Marmara Sea Marinas?

Hi all,

I am going to be coming through the Bosporus fairly soon into the marmara sea. Can anyone suggest a suitable marina to keep my 30ft jeanneau for 4 weeks? Mooring fees look astronomical there, but I don't have quite enough time make it elsewhere as I have to be back in Istanbul for a flight on 2nd may

Any ideas appreciated!

Cheers!
Benpikeuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 04:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Marmara sea marinas?

I cannot speak off other marina's but I found the one at Pendik very good... the owner of the Catalac I delivered from the UK who lives there chose it because it was cheaper than the one's in/by Istanbul... it was a 20min taxi ride to the airport. Excellent facilities, good and helpful staff with good English..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 04:27   #3

That's an excellent start, thanks so much. I was looking at going to west Istanbul marina, but their online price calculator was quoting 650 euro amonth. I'm paying 120 ATM in Bulgaria!

So, I'll have a look at pendick, send them an email and see what they can do for me.

Thanks again
Old 16-04-2013, 15:42   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: Marmara sea marinas?

İstanbul has two main marinas; Ataköy on the european side and Kalamış on the asian side. They are both very large, usually fully packed and pricey. Pendik is on the asian side a bit further east (app. 15-20 nm) than Kalamış, recently build, probably cheaper. Pendik is quite far away form the main airport but very close to the second airport (Sabiha Gokcen)
On the european side there two new marinas a bit further west of Ataköy, but still close to the main airport. I haven't been to these marinas yet but you may check their web sites:

www.marinaistanbul.com

www.westistanbul marina.com

Both should be much cheaper than the rest..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 06:48   #5

Boat: Liberty 49
Re: Marmara sea marinas?

There's also Yalova on the Asian side which looks remote but is connected by frequent ferry service to ports near Istanbul. We've stayed there and been impressed. The services are reasonable too, ditto restaurants.

Mike
captmikecoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 03:16   #6

Thanks again for all the info.

Scores so far ......

Istanbul west marina = 650 euro a month

Pendik marina = 850 euro a month.

No response from Yalova yet.

Ridiculous sums of money. I guess I just got used to Bulgarian prices! Someone please tell me it's not like this in the Aegean! I'm headed there after.
Old 18-04-2013, 03:28   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: Marmara Sea Marinas?

Don't ever compare Bulgarian pirces to the turkish marinas... Turkish marina is probably the most expensive in the Med only second to some top marinas (Marbella, Palma, etc) in Spain, Cote d'Azur, Sardinia, etc..

Greece is ridiciliously cheaper though with few exceptions.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 03:44   #8

That's reassuring. I sailed through six years ago so I imagine its changed a lot. There were no charges for staying in many Greek places. The Olympic marina in Athens was free, several places on the island like Mykonos and Chios also free. I'm heading for the Ionian eventually. Hoping to keep Saturn somewhere there.

I've just got a password for cruiser wiki, so I'll be adding my thoughts on the places info to on there. Lots to say about evil Odessa port!

Cheers again.
Old 18-04-2013, 04:40   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

The map on this page: shows all the marinas near Istanbul, and links to web sites are in the text.
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 04:50   #10

Thanks JimB

I came across your site when googling the area. Very neat it is too. Kudos, sir.
Old 19-04-2013, 00:41   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Thanks for that!
JimB
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 17:39   #12

I visited pendik and Yalova by land.

Pendik was busy, had nice marina atmosphere. But was very expensive and there were no deals for longer stays. Staying there would cost me 112 TL a day for my 9 meter yacht.

Yalova was much better and quieter, but surroundings had less to offer. They had a deal of two for one, stay four months for the price of two, up to two years. I calculated keeping my yacht there would work out at 1200 a year for a two year contract.

As it is, I'll need to stop in Istanbul for the transit log, but now plan to sail straight through to Greek waters. I understand the transit situation differs slightly if one is only making one port call. I really can't afford to be paying to enter ports all the time. Now to decide where to call in at, fenerbache, atakoy? Not impressed with recent stories from atakoy, sounds like it got worse there since my last visit in 2007

I'd go to Yalova directly, but they can't issue logs there

Tags
marinas