Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2010, 22:46   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380 - Times like these. Port: Mooloolaba, Australia
Marinas / Anchorages - Athens

We’re heading to Athens soon, where we’ll be dropping off, and picking up visitors, and having a look around the city. We’re planning on stopping in a marina for a day or two, and then maybe anchoring nearby for a couple of days. As there are several marinas in the Athens area, has anyone got any recommendations on where we should try and get a berth? Cheaper is always good, but as we rarely treat ourselves to marina stays, we don’t mind paying a bit more to have a great experience.
Also, are there any good anchorages to use as a convenient base to explore the city?

Cheers

Burls
Old 28-08-2010, 00:18   #2

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
well i wouldn't recommend any marina in Athens as they are full but you may get a berth at Athens yacht club which was the Olympic yachting marina a lot of visiting yachts berth down a little canal entrance to the marina but i would recommend going to the Island of ageana and catching the ferry to Pireus which costs about 8 euros one way and from there you can catch the metro system but be warned in pireus a lot of pick pockets operate and if you have a back pack they will rob you so keep things locked they do it on the trains mainly when it is crowded
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 00:30   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
We did it a completely weird way... we were heading from Greece to Italy so dropped into Methoni in the Peleponese. Wonderful quiet anchorage and town, then jumped the bus to Athens and slotted into a Hostel for a few days.

It gave us a good look at Kalamatta on the bus, and the Corinth Channel too.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 02:58   #4
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Lavrion, has lots of space for you between Sunday and Friday Morning- most you pay is 15 euros and sometimes less if you bargain- all the charter yachts are gone at this time- Very close to Sunio where there are wonderful Ruins - and you can Anchor there also- 45 min. by bus to Athens
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RamSunio.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	18728   Click image for larger version

Name:	beachyogasunio1.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	18729  

Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 04:19   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Hey Ram, what are those people doing on the beach?

I never saw that in Greece!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 04:20   #6
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Hey Ram, what are those people doing on the beach?

I never saw that in Greece!

You were only here 1/2 hour so you miss this! Everyone is getting ready to go offshore all are praying to the Greek Gods for a safe passage- .. or they could be doing Yoga!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 05:21   #7

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Athens anchorages

Whilst the Sounion anchorage mentioned by RAM is OK for visiting the ruins up on the headland, or even overnighting, I wouldn't recommend it for a visit to Athens - the holding is rather patchy and wind/swell works its way in at times.

In the unlikely event that you manage to get a berth in one of the Athens marinas in summer, the cost will be ludicrously expensive, anchoring/mooring elsewhere and travelling in will be far cheaper, even if you need to stay overnight.

Aegeana is the nearest option, but I'm always wary as there are a lot of boat movements in the harbour there and tripped anchors are far from rare, so I've always ensured that someone knows we're off for the day and will keep an eye on our yacht whilst we're away.

Whilst the ferry trips are further/more expensive, my preferences/first choices would be Methana or Poros on the Pelopenese. We've also had crew arrive/depart from further round the Pelopenese at Ermioni and Porto Kheli - there is a fast catamaran service which runs Pireaus-Aegeana-Poros-Hydra-Erminoni-Porto Kheli, about six times a day; it's great for visitors as we pick them up in Aegeana and then sail downwind for the week of their visit, before putting them back on the ferry at Porto Kheli, so there are no worries about getting them back North if the wind picks up.

If you're looking for the 'cheap' options, you can anchor fairly securely in Ormos Anavissou (037.431N 023.555E) about 20 miles SSE of Athens, from where it's about a mile walk up to the main road, on which you can catch a bus into Athens for about €3. We've also once stopped for a few days/visited Athens from Ormos Vouliagmenis (037.485N 023.467E) which is only about 10M south of Athens; however, whilst nobody questioned us about what we were doing there, the bay is charted as being a 'no anchoring' area - go beyond the marina on the west side and head as far inshore as you can manage - the seabed shelves very slowly.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 08:17   #8

Boat: Lagoon 380 - Times like these. Port: Mooloolaba, Australia
Just a bit of feedback on this subject…….. We ended up staying in Marina Zea in Athens, where we dropped off some friends, picked up some friends, and had a quick look around the city. We stayed for 2 nights, and all went quite well.

Cheers

Burls
Old 20-09-2010, 14:02   #9
Jad

Boat: Alubat-Ovni (aluminium) 12.10 m JAD
Hello,
We stopped last week at the Zea Marina and then in a bay east, close to the new international airport, in Varkiza.
see details and pictures at
www.ovnijad.com
Jad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages, marinas